No Time Like Right Now - sky's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
sky

Re: No Time Like Right Now - sky's journal

Post by sky »

I try to increase the variety of fruit in my diet. Increasing variety of vegetables is also a good idea. Instead of using one green, use a mix of greens. Add squash to the soup.

I tend to focus on simplicity with a lot of things, in the case of food, variety to increase the nutrient spectrum is the way to go.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:38 pm
Are you tracking how many different varieties of plants you eat in a week? I typically target at least 30-40 different plant based foods to support a healthy microbiome. I find soups like these are a good approach to hit those goals.
I'd be interested in a typical weekly list of your 30-40 different plant-based foods to get more ideas for meals. I know I'm way far from that number...

Thank you for the book review and recipe, Sky!

sky

Post by sky »

I have been experimenting with fasting. Originally I became interested in fasting as a way to improve health, but have also found it to be an effective weight loss tool.

Learning about fasting has changed my relationship to food. I learned that a period of abstaining from eating causes positive and beneficial things to happen in the body. Previously I had a belief or assumption that it was good to constantly eat to fuel the body, and that the way to achieve positive health was to choose and eat the right foods. Now I have learned that the periods of not eating are as important to the body as the type of food that one eats.

So far the longest fast that I have done is a two day fast, from 6 pm dinner on Day 0, fasting all of Day 1 and Day 2, and eating again in the morning of Day 3. I found this to be somewhat difficult. I had some pretty strong hunger pains and rumbles in my stomach on Day 2, but was able to resist eating. I walked 2 hours on Day 1 on a cold windy day and got a serious chill, which made things somewhat difficult and uncomfortable. I found it difficult to warm up on both days of fasting, until I went to bed and then after about a half hour I started to warm up under a thick quilt. I slept very well during fasting and woke up feeling very good, even better than I usually feel. During the second day, I had a slight feeling of light-headedness, and was perhaps slightly less alert than when eating. I was able to drive without any problem.

What I have learned as a beginner is to wear an extra layer of insulating clothing, even inside the house, including a hat and gloves. This helps with the cold body temperature during fasting and improves the comfort level. Do not overdo exercise, just do a moderate amount of exercise during fasting. For me, two miles of walking (40 minutes) is a moderate amount of exercise. I may try to increase this amount of exercise in the future as I become more accustomed to fasting. I will limit the fast to one day at a time for a while, I found the second day of fasting to be somewhat difficult with short periods of extreme hunger.

Fasting is easy, just don't eat, drink a glass of water now and then. Fasting is low cost, it is actually no cost. Fasting is less effort than cooking and eating. A one day fast is pretty easy and other than a few hunger pangs, is painless. You will enjoy your meals after the fast quite a bit.

I have very little background in medicine or health science. My expertise is elsewhere. I rely on experts for my information. Most of what I have learned about fasting is from youtube videos by Jason Fung. Based on what I have learned, I believe there are important health benefits to fasting, but rather than try to explain them, I recommend to you to learn about fasting from experts and not from me.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

God work! Inspirational. Is your goal now to extend the amount of time you fast or?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I enjoyed Jason Fung’s The Complete Guide to Fasting. His videos may cover the same material, I haven’t seen them. The book isn’t very long, mainly discussing the various benefits of fasting as well as suggesting some possible schedules.

I recommend trying for at least 3 days if you’re going longer than 24 hrs. Day 2 is always the worst and it gets far easier after that. Fung goes as far to say that since you just start to get most of the benefits at day 3, you should go for 5 days, in order to maximize your effort/benefits. I haven’t been that disciplined. The longest I have done is 80 hrs. But I have enjoyed making the 3 day fast a regular practice and do them once a quarter.

sky

Post by sky »

My goal is to learn to eat when I choose to eat, based on maximizing the healthy impact of an eating schedule.

This means:
Don't snack
Don't eat on impulse
Don't eat because food happens to be there
Don't eat at a certain time out of habit
Don't eat out of boredom
Don't eat as entertainment
Don't eat due to hunger pains

Design a schedule for eating which has health benefits.

Combine an exercise schedule and a diet plan with fasting to maximize health impacts.

Use different fasting techniques to respond to different goals and challenges:

Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner -> One Meal A Day
Maintain body weight while maximizing nutrition -> Skip breakfast, 16:8 hour fasting, nutritarian diet
Lose weight -> multi-day fasting with careful food intake on recovery days

I am still a beginner so these are initial ideas based on minimal experience.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Hi sky, sounds good what you are up to these days.

I struggle to call myself an expert on more or less anything, but have been doing 16:8 (leaning towards 18:6) intermittent fasting for the vast majority of my days in the last well over a year (or maybe 2 years it was already?) When I was first implementing it I was doing research on it. I seem to remember that if you want to lean on science and optimize for health, the studies that are out there tend to suggest that there is not much additional health benefit sensu stricte in terms of longer fasts. But they might bring high, or spiritual experiences, or feeling better about oneself, so maybe they are worth after all. I occasionally do longer fasts, round about 40h.

Intermittent fasting also sits nicely within the virtue of moderation. I don't know if moderation has its place in epicureanism, but sometimes when we brew our simple food with DW we have a laugh about epicureans having a lavish feast with a nice pot of cheese, as depicted here, so maybe it will resonate with you.

sky

Post by sky »

LOL

Maximize health benefits while minimizing hunger pangs, that is my hedonic calculus.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@Sky

Umm...feeling obligated to post because I've some good experience with long-term dietary adherence (lost 35lbs and kept it off). I wish this post was a little bit more structured but its getting late where I'm at. I think what I'm trying to post is to be aware of falling into rigid dietary traps but also generally passing some advice that could help in the long-term. Fasting itself does not last long-term for most people.

Fasting has its uses for sure - but be weary that some types of dietary thinking leads to a certain rigid dietary mindset - When followed - this type of dietary thinking can be effective but it more often then not almost always leads to an epic binge and then an inability to turn back on...without practice and retraining some habits...

There is something called "rigid-flexible' eating which is worth reading. I think Lyle McDonald has some articles on it. He wrote a book titled "A guide to flexible dieting." And as always, I recommend https://a.co/d/5CGteCE

I will elaborate your post to consider a more "rigid-flexible" long-term adherence type of strategy.... Do consider :) It is your list of "Don't" that stood out to me as why I made this post. The negative framing can backfire. I've seen this pattern too much having been on nutrition forums and the like for a long time...
Don't snack - We want what we can't have...Allow yourself to snack on fruits, small amounts of nuts, veggies. My personal go to is a banana or an apple. This is not for hunger pangs only but when a hunger pang is bad enough to where one can't focus on work or sleeping. Its a nice tool to have.
Don't eat on impulse - Generally this is because Type 1 thinking (impulse) overrides Type 2 thinking (Pre-frontal cortex careful decision making) in the case of food. Typically impulse eating occurs with highly-palatable foods (high calories, salt, sugar, fat). If those aren't in the environment, then you won't have to worry about impulse eating carrot sticks because it won't happen. This leads a bit into the next point on the importance of setting up a good environment...
Don't eat because food happens to be there - Out of sight, out of mind. Setup your environment ahead of time so the junk food in your home does not exist to begin with or its out of sight / out of reach. Example - my kid loves cereal but I'm a type of person that binges on cereal. So cereal is always at the bottom of my shelves where not in line with my line of vision. Just a small barrier to entry can help Type 2 brain gain access to the driver's seat.
Don't eat at a certain time out of habit - Actually being on a structured routine, is a good way to instill habits. Most find benefit to having the largest meal at dinner because that is usually the socially accepted one with family. I personally do 3 meals a day where the first 2 meals are small and the last meal is the largest. If this is flipped, then I get hungry at night so I always found the largest meal at the end of the day worked best for me.
Don't eat out of boredom - Retrain this habit (cue/craving/response/reward). Cue is boredom. Craving is food. Response is impulse eating. Reward is the dopamine hit from said food. Next time you find yourself bored, replace the response to build a new habit. Suggestions --> when boredom strikes, drink a tall glass of water and go for a walk. Or read a book. Even cleaning helps.
Don't eat as entertainment - Ah this one involves breaking associations. Like Netflix watching goes with Popcorn for some people. The trick here is to break the association by re-associating.
Don't eat due to hunger pains - Reframe from don't eat (because its just gonna make you want it more and focus on your hunger pains) and instead you've permission to chew on carrot sticks, celery sticks, or a low calorie snack (apple).
Set up your environment in a way where failure is not possible. Can't eat junk food if its never purchased. And speaking from experience, accepting hunger pangs as part of the process will go a long way if you're in a caloric deficit. I never liked the fasting myself - they can be used as a tool for resetting taste buds, and getting some initial inertia into a longer-term dietary plan is very useful. But I think the vast majority of people that do these diets, do not stick with it in the long-run. But that is my personal opinion on that topic - no data to back that just a hunch. Develop an overall dietary philosophy / lifestyle strategy as opposed to a focus on tactics such as fasting. Why? Because if not, one can eventually find themselves losing the same weight every year because they can be excellent at tactics (we know how to lose weight and eat healthy) but don't know how to sustain it.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@sky If you haven’t read through it before, you may find this fasting thread of value. viewtopic.php?t=6950

sky

Post by sky »

Yes, I learned about fasting from this forum. At the moment I am in weight loss mode, when I get closer to my target I will start experimenting what my eating schedule should be to maintain weight. At the moment I have a focus on not snacking because this time of year, it is apparently necessary to leave bowls and trays of chocolates, candies, nuts and cookies around the house, for the elves, I guess. During the weight maintenance mode, snacking on healthy foods like fruit during the eating period is probably not a problem.

sky

Post by sky »

Over the past few weeks I have been experimenting with fasting. I have done a three day fast, a two day fast and a number of one day fasts. I found the multiday fasts to be very difficult. The symptoms are cold body temperature, lightheadedness, hunger pains, ravenous appetite and depression.

I was able to lose weight during the multiday fasts, but gained it again on the feeding day(s) following the fast. I lost about 3 to 4 pounds a day fasting, but after eating and recovering tended to gain much of the losses back.

I was extremely hungry after the fast, and ate foods which were not healthy. I probably could have eaten more healthy but I did not have the willpower to do so. I probably destroyed any health benefit from fasting by eating cheeseburgers and fries the day after.

I did not percieve any health benefits from multiday fasting, although I know from reading about it that there are supposed to be health benefits. That makes it somewhat difficult to justify fasting, because everything I experience while fasting is negative.

I am glad I did the experimenting, now I know the outcome if I cannot eat for a day or two. I may do a single day fast now and then. If I were trying to lose weight and were stuck at a certain weight level, I might use fasting to push past that weight level.

My main focus now is going to be to eat healthy with moderate portions. That seems like it should be fairly easy compared to fasting for a few days.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

sky wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:28 pm
My main focus now is going to be to eat healthy with moderate portions. That seems like it should be fairly easy compared to fasting for a few days.
What are some the strategies you are going to try for this?

sky

Post by sky »

Beans, greens, vegetables, fruit, whole grain, nuts. No processed food or sugary foods. Nutritarian diet, try to maximize nutrients per calorie. Try to stick to eating only at meal times and not snack. Maybe skip breakfast and eat breakfast at noon with dinner before 6pm to do a 18:6 eating hour schedule.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Interesting post about multi-day fasts. I've never tried them myself, but I pretty regularly do 16 hour fasts. Mostly because I work either 7-4 or 8-5 and have lunch at 12 or 1, and I just have coffee in the mornings. I'm currently focused on cutting down on my sugar intake, because that is what will undo most of my other efforts if I don't figure it out. Good luck, it looks as if you're on a good path.

sky

Post by sky »

I am experimenting with diet and fasting to maintain a certain weight. For example, I set a target weight of X. Every morning I weigh myself, and if I am at weight X, I eat a certain diet at a certain schedule. The next morning, if I weigh in at X + 1, I know I have to scale back on yesterday's diet and schedule to maintain my weight. If I weigh in at X + 2, I fast for a morning or a day to get back to my target weight. My goal is to learn what I can/should eat after I get to my target weight.

I sewed a quilt for indoor use. For a few years I have been using backpacking quilts on my bed for winter warmth. This works but there is an issue with nylon fabric: it is very noisy when it rubs my face or ears. The new quilt is made of Climashield Apex 2.5 osy (ounces per square yard) insulation between two flannel sheets. Apex 2.5 osy would normally be rated for 60F in a backpacking quilt, so it fits my 60F room at winter temperatures. The new quilt is quiet, soft and comfortable. It was made of leftover materials I already had, so I did not have to buy anything to make it.

I completed my emergency preparedness goal by collecting:
oil lamps
lamp oil
lighters
propane stove
propane hose and adapter
1 lb propane canisters
device to fill 1 lb canisters from 20 lb propane tank
20 lb propane tank
camping cooking equipment
led headlamps
water jugs, total 40 gallons
1.5 facecord firewood
no cook, no water required emergency food
stocked pantry with long life food

I am quite optimistic about the future, I am not a doomer. I consider this collection of items to be a low cost, low effort insurance policy. A lot of it is camping gear that I already had. I am sitting in a warm, comfortable house during a blizzard. If the power goes out, no problem, I have everything I need to keep things comfortable without electricity.

I am reading Digital Minimalism, and may do a digital declutter soon. This will allow me to reduce screen time to do ??? I don't have any big plans or specific goals to accomplish. I am OK with not doing much, I had a very stressful career and feel like I deserve to take it easy in my retirement. I like not having my mind full of the problems of a large organization or in my case, a city. I do not feel the need to strive for anything other than a pleasant day and perhaps some enlightening thoughts. However, I do get bored and hobbies are only good for a while. I often think about going back to some type of work but have always stopped myself from sending out job applications. I have some very powerful skills but choose not to use them, is that a crime? Even though I don't do much, I do try to make some small steps of progress each day to improve my life. Taking a job would likely interfere with that process. So maybe I need to focus my energy and creativity on how to improve my life each day. I may come out of the digital declutter with a different approach to use of technology. And I may come out of that process with a different way to improve my life.

I trying to improve my vegetable-bean soup recipe. It is a challenge to make it taste good, but my efforts are improving. My recipes make 4 or 5 servings, so I only cook once a week and recipe development moves slowly. The challenge is how to spice the soup and how to make the greens taste good

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

do share the recipe when you feel you've figured it out

sky

Post by sky »

The Digital Declutter Process

"Put aside a thirty-day period during which you will take a break from optional technologies in your life.
During this thirty-day break, explore and rediscover activities and behaviors that you find satisfying and meaningful.
At the end of the break, reintroduce optional technologies into your life, starting from a blank slate. For each technology you reintroduce, determine what value it serves in your life and how specifically you will use it so as to maximize this value."

"Examples of High Quality Leisure Activities to substitute for screen watching:
Reading, Writing, Dancing, Language, Learning Crafts, Art, Playing an Instrument, Socializing, Walking, Swimming, Cooking, Gardening, Sewing/Knitting/Embroidery, Hunting, Fishing, Foraging, Construction Projects, Sports, Camping, Hiking, Canoeing/Kayaking, Cycling, Audiobooks/Podcasts, Thinking, Sun Bathing, Visiting Museums or Galleries, Farming, Yoga, Weight Lifting, Martial Arts, Rock Climbing, Meditation, Community Volunteer Work, Board Games, Puzzle Solving, Archery, Shooting, Photography"

I did an inventory of my online use of the phone, and found two apps where I was spending too much time on. Youtube home feed and subscription feed, and reddit. Most apps on my phone were valuable apps and I was not overusing them.

Activities I permitted myself during Digital Declutter
Use desktop pc only, not phone
The phone was put in a drawer and not removed.
Check email on desktop pc.
Use search function of browser, Maps and Youtube to find needed information
Don't use youtube home or subscription pages to avoid the algorithm feed
(I used a browser on the pc in which I was not logged in to youtube).
Web browsing on desktop pc is OK.
I am not a member of Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok or Twitter, so I have never used these social media.

Day 1
Several times I wanted to reach for phone to find information or for entertainment. I had a thought that I wanted a rubiks cube to have something to do with my hands. Several times wanted to research other places to live, sort of imagining a parallel life as entertainment. Slept a lot. Read books. Played guitar and found it easier to focus on playing, perhaps a coincidence but it seems to be easier to concentrate my thoughts. Made a list of things I want to do in 2023.
Day 2
Dreamt of using a smartphone.
Day 3
Missing the entertainment value of the phone. Not sure if the Digital Declutter is worth it. Walked to library. Got a lot of stuff done around the house. Read a few books.
Day 4
Boredom is a motivator. Boredom makes me get up and rearrange things so they look nicer. Boredom makes me walk around and see if there is anything to do. Boredom makes me go outside to see what the weather is like. Boredom makes me look at my stuff to see if there is anything useful that I can something with. Boredom makes me sit around and think about things till I find a solution to a problem.
Day 5
Life is a bit different when your thoughts are not constantly interrupted by the thoughts of others. From the outside, watching someone else look at their phone for hours makes it seem like they are on opium or something, a sad addiction.
Day 8
Have been getting a lot done, working on finishing up older projects.
Day 9
In the past, an impulse to take some kind of action would have resulted in me picking up the phone to check something, and spending a lot of time looking at the screen. Now, an impulse to take action means I get up and do something, generally picking up, moving or making some object.
In the past, I spent many hours consuming content from youtube that I did not really care that much about, much of which was based on lies that served as clickbait to draw viewers.
Day 15
Not using a phone has improved my quality of life. I don't spend as much time looking at a screen. I get up and do things more readily than when I sat around looking at the phone. I still get entertainment over a desktop computer screen, but it is not as addictive as when looking at a phone. The phone is a valuable tool, I will need to figure out how to use it as a tool without becoming addicted.
Day 16
Initially I thought this was a technology problem, however it is entirely a behavior problem that I will have to solve at the end of this declutter experiment.
Day 23
I have a notebook where every time I think of something I would like to learn about, I note it down as a search term. My goal is to make my internet usage based more on my interests than on the youtube or reddit feed.
Day 24
My use of the desktop has increased by quite a bit. I also watch youtube on a tv using Roku, which I did not do before. I am generally pretty happy with the videos I am getting this way, using search terms and not logging in. Very good entertainment although there are a lot of ads.
Day 25
There is no profound enlightenment from this digital declutter exercise. I do not see living without a phone to be a virtue. I would describe the digital declutter more as a break from routine which is helpful in reconsidering priorities.
Day 28
I am now watching movies on the desktop for entertainment. I have traded using the smartphone for doing similar things on the desktop.
Day 29
I am pretty happy about the search term method of using the internet, rather than relying on youtube feed and reddit feed. When I have a question about something I write down the words as a search term, and later do a web search on it. Sometimes this leads to interesting rabbit holes which are far better than the usual algorithmic feed suggestions.
Day 30
The behavioral change of Digital Declutter is not only related to the smartphone, it is also related to the lounge chair. At the moment, when sitting in the lounge chair, my options are to read, look out the window, make conversation and nap. It is pretty easy to get up to do something else because these activities get boring after a while. If you add a smartphone into the mix, I could spend hours and hours consuming internet content while sitting in the lounge chair, and it becomes much more difficult to motivate myself to get up and do something else. Early on in this log I identified: "The Most Dangerous Things: The Lazyboy Chair, the Computer Screen and Alcohol." I have just realized that two of the most dangerous things are linked and compound each other.

Post Digital Declutter Strategies:

Initially I will go back to using my phone as before and try to assess my reaction to it. Then I will try to develop some possible strategies:

Youtube strategy:
I will disable youtube on my phone. I will watch the youtube subscribe feed on my desktop, but try not to spend a lot of time doing so. I will try to use search terms to view the videos based more on my interests.

Reddit strategy:
Reduce subscribed groups to only valued groups. Look at reddit once a day or every few days. Continually assess whether the app is of value, there seems to be a lot of posts trying to provide misinformation and encourage conflicts. These may be posted by stupid humans, but I suspect there are a large number of bots on reddit doing various manipulative things. I may just quit reddit by deleting my bookmark to the app. If I want to read reddit, I can do a search and find it again easily.

Reading:
Try to increase reading, in particular in the morning read a book rather than look at the phone.

Phone use:
I will charge my phone in a different part of the house than my main lounging chair, that way I will have to get up to charge the phone or get the phone to use it.

Things to do:
It is very important to have a number of things to do to keep your mind occupied. It is not that difficult to discover things to do, but it requires a bit of thought and motivation to get started doing them.

I can't say whether I will religiously follow any of these strategies. After I finish the declutter, I will temporarily go back to my original method of using smartphone technology and see what kind of impression I get from it. Perhaps positive, perhaps negative. We will where it goes from there.

sky

Post by sky »

Chili Vegetable Stew

This is a vegetarian chili with a selection of vegetables and mushrooms to maximize nutritional value. The base of the soup includes Allium (onion, garlic, leek), Brassica (kale), greens (spinach), mushrooms and beans. Any additional vegetables which you might add will enhance the nutritional spectrum.

In a 4 quart pressure cooker, dice and simmer:

1 cup onion
12 cloves garlic
8 oz mushrooms
1 cup leek
1 cup carrots
1 cup celery
1 cup kale
1 cup spinach
1 cup additional vegetable of your choice (red pepper, green pepper, zucchini, asparagus, peas, broccoli)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 Tbs Herbes de Provence (or Italian Seasoning)
2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs taco seasoning
1 tsp ground black pepper
Cook under pressure for 15 minutes, let cool until pressure is released.
Use puree stick to blend vegetables.
Add:
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of refried beans
Simmer for 15 minutes (not under pressure), stirring regularly
After turning off flame, add about 1/4 cup (or as needed) fine bulgur or couscous to thicken soup. Let stand for 15 minutes.

Makes about 5 servings. Freeze in wide-mouth glass canning pint jars with a plastic lid.

I don't actually measure out 1 cup of each vegetable, it is just an estimate of how much to put in the soup to fit the size of the pot. I never make soup the same way twice, so this recipe is just a guide.

My goals to further develop this recipe:
Use bulk purchase dry beans
Can the finished product rather than freezing
Use foraged plants
Use low cost vegetables (cabbage, garden produce)
Use frozen vegetables (soup mix, California mix, spinach)