Singvestor's awakening

Where are you and where are you going?
singvestor

Re: Singvestor's awakening

Post by singvestor »

What do you mean Stahlmann? In my defense I have never cheated on taxes! Ich schwör! :)

singvestor

Monthly update #59: May 2020

Post by singvestor »

Monthly healthy life goals:

- 20 days no alcohol: achieved, 22 days
- 12 times sport: achieved, 15 days

I made it!

May expense report

Spending came in relatively low at SGD 2,653, despite high expenses on gifts and groceries. The lockdown makes saving money quite easy.

I did not move my car for the month, the expenses are insurance and renting a garage (I know...)

Saving rate

The saving rate in May was 68%, not counting some cash I put into short term savings in case of emergency, job loss or other issues.

Portfolio update

In May my portfolio increased from SGD 485,422 to SGD 496,768 (~USD 356,000). I invested SGD 8,363 and capital gains of SGD 2,983 made up the rest.

Markets continued to be very bullish, no idea why. The economy is suffering, people are unemployed, markets go up and up. Strange times.

Progress to retirement

The green and blue lines are creeping towards each other. It is great to see the effect of reducing expenses. I just got a big salary increase at work to take effect in the next 2 months, dating back from a promotion next year.

Lifestyle inflation will be avoided and the saving rate should therefore go up. A saving rate north of 70% seems achievable for 2020.

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 8,363 into my portfolio which was more than planned (SGD 6,700).

Portfolio allocation

Bought some bonds and some stock indexes to get closer to my allocation. Too heavy on picked stocks and REITs.

Dividends received

SGD 622

Hypothetical monthly income

SGD 1,656

Outlook

Still worried about the crisis ending my expat life in Europe, but am in a good financial position. Trying to stay optimistic!

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

OOF! I hope it doesn't! My girlfriend and I are already getting stir-crazy being in the US for less than a year. I want to go back to the expat life, I think I just need to give up on this idea of settling down in one place.

What the heck are you doing for exercise? Are you guys shut down? I was playing a ton of soccer... don't know when that'll ever come back. Now we're just going on runs up and down the neighborhood streets.

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

Shutdown is easing, but I did mostly bodyweight exercises with the help of YouTube and went cycling a lot. Quite efficient! Where is your next adventure after the US?

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

That's good. I need to re-prioritize exercise again, really fallen off the last couple weeks. Cycling I think can be a lot more fun since you can get a lot further from your immediate environ.

Not sure about next adventure at the moment, hopefully somewhere with some more scenery :D

giskard

Post by giskard »

Wow interesting to see how steady your portfolio performed through the March volatility. Not even a 10% drop for you it looks like! Mine was down about 15 or 20% at one point in March.

singvestor

Monthly update #60: June 2020 - five year anniversary of this journal :)

Post by singvestor »

Five year anniversary of this journal! Still not retired, but only have myself to blame :)

20 days no alcohol:
achieved, 20 days
12 times sport: achieved, 12 days

I made it!

June expense report

Spending was much higher than during peak Covid times and came in at SGD 4,333. My car was only moved once, but needed costly maintenance, tire change and so on. Utility spending was quite high, since I had to pay for yearly home burglary insurance (a must in my city as 20% of my colleagues got their house broken into) and I had to pay a huge water bill.

Saving rate

The “official” saving rate in June was just 54%, because I buffered cash for emergencies and job loss/crisis. I got a surprisingly large salary increase, but did not invest it all.

Portfolio update

In June my portfolio increased from SGD 496,768 to SGD 524,235. I invested SGD 11,089 and capital gains of SGD 13,378 made up the rest.

This is the first time my portfolio exceeded SGD 500,000.

Progress to retirement

As soon as the green and blue lines cross I can start considering my retirement.

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 8,363 into my portfolio which was more than planned (SGD 6,700).

Portfolio allocation

Bought some further bonds and some stock indexes to get closer to my allocation. Too heavy on picked stocks and REITs.

Dividends received

SGD 1,452

SGD 1,747

Outlook

Family crisis is still ongoing, but dust will settle in 2-3 months I think. After the five year anniversary of this journal it is time to rethink and retool the approach. I am very comfortable below last year's expense levels thanks to Covid-19, but I have to plan the next steps. Maybe I read Jacob's book for the third time ... :)

wolf

Post by wolf »

congrats to your 5 year anniversary! and well done achieving your healthy life goals this month!

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

Thanks Wolf :) I wish I had managed in July also

singvestor

Monthly update #61: July 2020

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: failed, 15 days
12 times sport: 5 days + 20 days plank challenge

Not good. Doing regular planks helped a lot. I had neglected the core exercises.

July expense report

Very embarrassing. Car was so expensive, despite just standing in the garage unused. I had to pay the yearly tax bill, monthly insurance, garage.

Clothes spending was through the roof, because I bought business suits, a winter coat, shirts and shoes at steep discounts. Nobody wants to buy these in summer, especially during covid. Boss had told me to dress better in my job, so I have to be prepared when the office eventually reopens.

Also the family situation which I mentioned in previous posts has gotten worse and I needed to spend extra money to temporarily move to another country. Long depressing story, but will get better.

Saving rate

Saving rate in July was 65%.

Portfolio update

In July my portfolio increased from SGD 524,235 to SGD 548,293 (= USD 399,400). I invested SGD 9,509 and capital gains of SGD 14,549 made up the rest. Markets are so strong despite the massive crisis...

Progress to retirement

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 9,509 into my portfolio which was more than planned (SGD 9,300).

Portfolio allocation

Bought some more bonds

Dividends received

SGD 1,143

SGD 1,828

Outlook

In the next few months I need to retool the approach. Finances are going well, but overall life designing needs to happen. A bit difficult, as the Covid crisis makes my job and the general future quite uncertain. Right now I am in home office, but at some point they might figure out that they save a ton if they just send me back to Singapore. I have not seen the inside of the office since mid March…

My goals for August are reducing the expenses from crazy July levels and meeting my healthy life goals.

singvestor

Monthly update #62: August 2020

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: achieved: 21
12 times sport: achieved: 12

August expense report

I spent SGD 3,854 in August, which was an improvement from July. I got quite sick and had to pay a deductible of SGD 300, I did not see my car, but still had to pay SGD 326 in running costs and tax. Grocery spending was also rather high at SGD 545.

Saving rate
Saving rate in August was 57%.

Portfolio update

In August my portfolio increased from SGD 548,293 to 561,967 (= USD 413,600). This is the first time the portfolio exceeded the USD 400,000 mark. I invested SGD 8,788 and capital gains of SGD 4,886 made up the rest.

Progress to retirement

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 8,788 into my portfolio which was more than planned (SGD 6,700).

Portfolio allocation

Bought some more bonds and the STI ETF.

Dividends received

SGD 1,743 - dividends are increasing nicely.

SGD 1,873

Outlook

Quite exhausted from work these days. It is becoming more and more obvious that I have to rethink my life and work goals and do something differently. My expat assignment will last about 19 more months at most, after which I am supposed to be posted back to Singapore.

I am thinking more and more that I need to look at designing a different lifestyle. I need to take some time to think about this topic once I have a few weeks off in November.

singvestor

Monthly update #63: September 2020

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: failed: 16
12 times sport: failed: 8

I spent the month abroad with my old friends and family, many gatherings and occasions that in central European style came with some drinks. Sport also suffered and I restarted it towards the end.

September expense report

I spent SGD 5,507 in September, which was a lot... Out of this amount SGD 1,184 was for gifts, most of it for investing a part of my higher than usual income into ETFs for my godson. He is only 2 and will get the proceeds when he is 18. I also scratched a relative’s Tesla rim when driving it through a very narrow passage and it made me feel bad, so I bought them a new one, even though they strongly insisted that was not necessary.

Saving rate

Saving rate in September was 59%.

Portfolio update

In September my portfolio increased from SGD 561,967 to SGD 566,398. Fresh investments of SGD 12,613 were offset by unrealized losses of SGD 8,182.

Progress to retirement

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 12,613 into my portfolio which was much more than planned (SGD 6,800). Reason was that the company applied my salary increase also for the first three months of the year and paid me extra. Nice surprise for me.

Portfolio allocation

Dividends received

SGD 666.

SGD 1,888

I am reaching a point, where an extreme early retirement becomes more and more feasible.

Outlook

No progress yet for the lifestyle redesigning. Took a long walk in the nature today to think about it, but inspiration did not come yet :)

singvestor

Monthly update #64: October 2020

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: achieved: 20

October expense report

I spent SGD 3,363 in October, not a bad month except the high spending on stuff.

Saving rate

Saving rate in October was 79%, close to ERE worthy territory.

Portfolio update

In October my portfolio increased from SGD 566,398 to SGD 574,784 (~USD 421,200). Fresh investments of SGD 13,029 were offset by unrealized losses of SGD 4,643.

Progress to retirement

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 13,029 into my portfolio which was much more than planned (SGD 8,800). Main reasons were low expenses and my cash buffer already being full. With this I have exceeded this years’ investment goal of SGD 105,000.

Portfolio allocation

Dividends received

SGD 2,976
- highest month so far.

SGD 1,916

Outlook

Really tired and having nightmares about work frequently. Looking forward to a break...

singvestor

Monthly update #65: November 2020

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: achieved: 20
12 times sport: failed: 8

November expense report

I spent SGD 4,715 in November, with grocery spending being way too high, because I hosted friends at my apartment often and bought nice stuff. Furthermore I bought some Christmas presents for family members and used the sales season to buy cheap toiletries in bulk.

Saving rate

Saving rate in November was 68%.

Portfolio update

In November my portfolio increased from SGD 574,784 by SGD 60,228 to SGD 635,012 (~USD 476,100). Fresh investments of SGD 9,016 were supported by massive gains of SGD 51,212.

Progress to retirement

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 9,016 into my portfolio which was much more than planned (SGD 6,700).

Portfolio allocation

Bit too high on the picked stocks and too low on the bonds. I sold most bonds in March to hunt for bargains during the market crash, now I am buying them back with the target allocation of 20%.

Dividends received

No dividends received in November.

SGD 2,177 - first time over SGD 2,000

Outlook

I took vacation for most of December and will focus on getting life issues sorted out and hopefully do some sports. Stock market has been so strong, my portfolio is now approaching my Lean Financial independence goal. With a bit of luck it could be achieved by the end of next year.

singvestor

Monthly update #66 and yearly update 2020

Post by singvestor »

2020 is over. I kept my job and friends and family all stayed healthy. Most of the year I worked remotely, which had the side effect that I completely detached from work mentally. My job seems even more absurd than before.

Development of finances in 2020:

I invested a total of SGD 136,697 and received capital gains of SGD 51,528 excluding dividends. I ended the year at SGD 664,215 which is just over USD 500,000.

With the recent market meltup I am getting close to lean financial independence, it is crazy. It could take less than a year to reach the USD 600,000 invested mark. At this point I can easily survive if needed. It gives me great peace of mind.

If I get fired from my job I would just need to take the ERE book out and optimize expenses and I would be fine.

Saving rate in 2020 was 70%, not so bad, but also not super good, given that I had free housing.

Where did the money go?

In general the trend is positive, but I could have done a lot more to save money. I spent too much money in nearly all categories. Grocery spending especially, I just did not care optimizing here and always just bought whatever I felt like eating or serving to friends.

Once retired I can eliminate the car category, reduce clothes by 80%, stop paying for cleaning and ironing, reduce groceries by 40%, reduce stuff by 80%... It should be easy. The chart is embarrassing… Even when taking a very lax approach to implement Jacob’s teachings, half of the spending could be eliminated without any negative impact on quality of life.

Development of saving rate over time

70% last year is good, but then I got free housing etc…

Asset allocation

Is not looking too well, way too low on bonds. Will use fresh investments to buy bonds until they reach 20% again.

Outlook

Stock valuations and prices seem crazy to me. I will buy more bonds and otherwise stay the course. At the end of the year, lean financial independence could be reached.
My biggest concern these days is mental health and fitness level, both are not in great shape… Will focus on improving that, since finances are on autopilot

singvestor

Monthly update #67: January 2021

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: failed: 18

It was a tricky month. Mid-January I moved to a Spanish island off the coast of Africa, which was legally allowed with a negative Covid test, but judging myself it was still a silly idea. I am working from here for the time being, even though my company would probably not appreciate it if they found out.

Unfortunately, this led to very high spending since I did not shop around well enough for apartments and got a too expensive place, but featuring a sea view and a terrace.

Spending and saving rate

In January I spent SGD 6,926 which is totally unacceptable. Because of high income I could save 64% of my income.

One of the worst months on record.

My spending was dominated by travel costs, but also some useless expenses, such as paying for my car and its garage a few thousand miles away, not cancelling my house cleaner (she depends on this job and i did not want to cancel) and paying utilities for the empty far away apartment.

Needless to say, costs would be different in retirement, as the above items would not be there, I would choose a cheap apartment etc.

Portfolio development

In January my portfolio increased from SGD 664,215 to SGD 690,843 (~USD 521,000). Fresh investments of SGD 9,100 were supported by gains of SGD 17,528.

In this strange bull market I am getting closer and closer to the magic USD 600,000 number, which allows withdrawal of USD 2,000 per month at a 4% withdrawal rate.

Making some lifestyle changes I could retire from corporate life at this amount, the thought is very comforting. My original plan from 2015 was to retire in 6 years from now at the age of 45. At that time it seemed tough, but now the markets have increased and so has my salary. If I stay healthy, I can retire quite a bit before the goal.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 627 of tax free dividends.

Asset allocation

I am currently buying bonds each month, to bring the bond allocation back up to around 20%. In March I had sold bonds to go bargain hunting for cheap stocks and REITs - was a bit of a gamble but paid off.

Renaissance man skills

I spend some time on the weekend learning Python, so much fun! I wrote a small script to automatically convert, rename and format all the images for this post. Before that I had to d this by hand.

Outlook

Mental health and fitness have improved quite a bit in one month of beach life with daily long walks and eating clean 80% of the time. Lean Financial Independence has a high chance of being reached this year, which helps a lot.

singvestor

Monthly update #68: February 2021

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: failed: 15
12 times sport: failed: 10

Living on a sunny island feels like summer camp in Uni. Constant going out with people who are “digital nomads” here… It is a nice lifestyle. Unfortunately; I had to pay rent for the sea front apartment, while my flat in the home country waits for me.

In 1 week I will move back home, I do not want to stretch my luck and secretly work on this sunny island forever.

Spending and saving rate

In February I spent SGD 4,008 which is an improvement over January. I lived quite cheaply on the island, but of course had to pay insurance and parking for my unused car, utilities for my unused flat and so on...

I am not far from lean financial independence, during which I could live happily in Southern Europe forever. Maybe I do a high paid “tour of duty” in Singapore for 3 more years and then retire in comfort in Spain at age 41… The thought is liberating.

My saving rate in February was only 63%.

Portfolio development

In February my portfolio increased from 690,843 to SGD 708,437 (~USD 532,900). Fresh investments of SGD 9,166 were supported by gains of SGD 8,428.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 1,190 of tax free dividends.

Asset allocation

Bought more bonds… Not sure if this is smart with the inflation supposedly around the corner?

Outlook

Mental health much better, Christmasweight mostly lost. Now that I had a 3 month dry run of “digital nomad” lifestyle I am sad to think it might end… Also my Europe assignment is in its last year and I feel I might be posted somewhere else soon...

singvestor

Monthly update #69: March 2021

Post by singvestor »

20 days no alcohol: failed: 18
12 times sport: failed: 4

I moved back to my rainy home country after having escaped to a nice island for 2 months. After living in tiny studio apartments on the island, my huge company-paid-for apartment felt huge and empty. I hurt my foot on the last day on the island and could not do any sports in recent weeks.

Spending and saving rate

In March I spent SGD 3,691 which is a further improvement. 20% of the spending was for gifts as I had to buy a birthday present and also contributed to a fund raised for one of the workers in my building who had passed away due to Covid-19.

I expect April to be a much more frugal month.

My saving rate in March was 62%.

Portfolio development

In March my portfolio increased from SGD 708,437 to 730,511 (~USD 543,000). Fresh investments of SGD 8,637 were supported by gains of SGD 13,437.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 761 of tax free dividends.

Asset allocation

Bought more bonds and some more REITs.

Hypothetical income at 4% WR

SGD 2,435 - not bad at all…

Outlook

Vaccination is moving very slowly in Europe. I am hoping that by the end of August I will have at least received the first dose of the vaccine. Fingers crossed. I am now in the last year of my Europe assignment and I am waiting for an update on my next job.

Lean Financial independence of USD 600,000 invested should be possible this year, if there is no major correction. Feels surreal.

singvestor

Monthly update #70: April 2021

Post by singvestor »

Monthly life update:

It was a terrible month, I need to get back to a more healthy lifestyle. My finances are not the issue, but I need to focus on mental and physical health.

These are the problems I need to solve with priority:

1) Cardiovascular health: I am out of shape. Cannot run because of knee issue, but have to find some other cardio exercise

2) Stress/depression/alcohol: finished an exhausting project at work with 50-60 hour weeks. Very exhausted. Terrible fatigue and cannot focus on reading or learning, so have been playing computer games and watching TV. At the same time, I have been drinking too much.

3) A year of home office with no gym means my muscles atrophied

4) General lack of purpose, feeling of wasting life - no fun or passion project

These four items are all related and have put me into some sort of tailspin lately, which I need to come out of to avoid this becoming a depression. All four of the issues have to be tackled.

Finances are not so much the issue, so I made a shorter format:

Financial update April:

Portfolio: SGD 746,347 (+SGD 10,651 invested, +SGD 5,185 capital gains)
Saving rate: 71%
Hypothetical monthly income at 4% WR: SGD 2,488 / USD 1,878

Viktor K

Re: Monthly update #70: April 2021

Post by Viktor K »

singvestor wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:25 am
These four items are all related and have put me into some sort of tailspin lately, which I need to come out of to avoid this becoming a depression. All four of the issues have to be tackled.
Feeling for you singvestor! To echo recommendations in my own journal, therapy definitely helps. I think it's especially effective with ENTJ type because, at least mine, gave me a clear "do this, no this", "this good, this bad", and actionable things to do. Mine was DBT, and I only wish I had gone sooner rather than tough it out.