Where are you and where are you going?
singvestor

Monthly update #37: July 2018

Post by singvestor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:43 am

Let's start with the positive news first:
Monthly goal review:

- 22 days no alcohol: achieved – 22 days
- 14 times sports: achieved: 14 times

I felt so much better at the end of the month...

Overall I ate quite clean, except the occasional moments of weakness in which I ate some of my beloved Belgian fries or indulged in some of the tasty beers of my new homeland.

ERE Scorecard July

Saving rate was 44% for July, year-to-date saving rate is 60%.

Portfolio update

In July my portfolio increased by SGD 9,346 or 3.1% to SGD 314,706 (USD 230,700). Fresh investments of SGD 5,730 and gains of SGD 3,616 made up for this increase.

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 5,730 into my portfolio which was a lot less than planned (SGD 8,000).

Fortunately, I am still ahead of the plan, thanks to a good performance in previous months.

New excitement: Founding my own company

The reason for failing the investment goal is my new company.

I had an idea for a small business and have been working on the plan very intensively the last six weeks or so. Every single free moment has been spent on it, weekends, evenings etc.

It is frightening, exciting and exhausting all at the same time. The business will cost approximately USD 7,000 to set up, I hope to pay for this and still maintain the investment plan of

SGD 100,000 for this year.

Dividends received

SGD 2,198 - it was a bumper crop of dividends this month.

Hypothetical monthly income (4% WR)

[bSGD 1,049[/b] - slow progress.

Outlook

August is a very exhausting month with plenty of business and other trips and high pressure at work. I am quite exhausted. Goal: finish company setup to prepare launch for October 1. 12 times sport, 20 times no alcohol. Looks challenging on the sport side, but I have to step up my efforts!

BRUTE

Re: Singvestor's awakening

Post by BRUTE » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 am

a company? how exciting. can Singvestor talk a little bit about what he's planning to do with the company?

singvestor

Post by singvestor » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:46 am

Thanks Brute! A bit hard to explain without doxing myself, as there are only 3–4 companies in the world offering a similar product. It is a specific service that helps companies solve a specific problem.

My company only offers two standardized products which combine my experience with two, three external suppliers into the final product. A lot of it is automated, so I do not have to do much operational work.

Yearly profit could be anywhere from –3000 to 120,000 EUR, I would consider it a success if it could be over EUR 1,000 a month. Launch is now planned for October 1, if all works out with the bureaucracy.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm

good luck!

singvestor

Monthly update #38: August 2018

Post by singvestor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:05 pm

It is embarassing, but...

- 20 days no alcohol: failed: 18 days
- 12 times sports: failed: 7 times

September is not looking to good either, oh man.
October will be better.

ERE Scorecard August

Saving rate was 50% for August, year-to-date saving rate is 59%.

File gone ☹

I managed to lose my Excel file with all my charts and data. Only had a six-month-old backup. Now I migrated everything to Google sheets, but the charts are not as good. Google Sheets is quite limited in this regard. On the other hand being able to access the file from multiple devices is great.

Portfolio update

In August my portfolio increased by SGD 5,265 or 1.7% to SGD 319,971 (USD 232,841). Fresh investments of SGD 6,023 and decline of SGD 758 contributed.

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 6,023 into my portfolio which was less than planned (SGD 6,300).
Fortunately, I am still ahead of the plan, thanks to a good performance in previous months.

Dividends received

SGD 156

Hypothetical monthly income (4% WR)

SGD 1,067 – crawling up a hill.

Outlook

My own company is making progress, but European bureaucracy is a battle. Hopefully everything is ready in October so I can hunt some customers. Chance of success: 20%.

singvestor

Monthly update #39: September 2018

Post by singvestor » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:31 pm

What a disaster, monthly goal review:

- 20 days no alcohol: failed: 14 days
- 12 times sports: failed: 8 times

I will fix this in October. Calories in > calories out. 2 kgs of weight to reduce in October. Same program like in July.

Morroco

Traveled through Morocco and Southern Spain with DW and a group of close friends that I have known since childhood. Amazing experience that provided a lot of clarity and outside perspective. Felt holiday afterglow that urged me to quit job and drive off into the sunset trusting that things will be fine. Existential crisis when returning to day job polishing political PowerPoints.

Own company

Spent some more money on establishing own company. Guess about SGD 700 or so. Will do the detailed accounting of company costs at the end of the year and just count it as spending for now.

ERE Scorecard

Saving rate for September was 45%. Ouch. Did not buy unneccessary stuff, but had a long vacation and attended a wedding of a very close friend whom I gave EUR 500 as a wedding gift. Rest of the year will be more frugal with all trips and weddings completed.

Portfolio update

In September my portfolio increased by SGD 5,722 or 1.8% to SGD 325,693 (=USD 237,500). Fresh investments of SGD 5,164 and gains of SGD 558 contributed.

Investments vs. plan

I invested SGD 5,164 into my portfolio which was less than planned (SGD 6,300). This means that I am now SGD 481 behind the plan for the year. I need to be a bit more frugal, especially since I need to spend some money for the new company.

Dividends received

SGD 267 - not bad.

Hypothetical monthly income

SGD 1,086. Looking forward to the SGD 1,600/month milestone at SGD 480k at which I will get EUR 1,000 monthly for life :)

Outlook

Rest of the year will feature stress at work, but I have no more big travels planned. Key focus is to get the own company off the ground as fast as possible.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 am

What’s your alcohol spending month to month? Thoughts on a spending target vs. a days without alcohol target?

Also what’s the motivation? Health? Weight? Negative aspects of intoxicated singvestor? Hangovers?

singvestor

Post by singvestor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am

Interesting ideas!

Alcohol spending is overall very small in the big theme of things. Health and maintaining my weight are the primary drivers for reducing alcohol. I figured out that 12 days sports and 20 days no alcohol are the ideal balance to keep weight and fitnesslevel constant for me.

Life without any alcohol would be the best from a health perspective, but I love drinking beer to much to accomplish that. Terrible but true :)

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 pm

What about limiting alco to Fridays & Saturdays (8 days a month) plus 2 'wild cards' per month (for a total of 10d/m)?

You could then workout every Mon, Wed & Fri (before having a beer on Fri evening) for a total of 12d/m.

Alternatively, the cycle of 2 days of work out, a day of drinking, 1 day of workout, a day of drinking & repeat. This way you would always work out at least 1.5x as many days as you'd be drinking, or at least not drink if you've not exercised. Although a con of this approach is associating alco with reward (for working out).