Ultimate mouse

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Ultimate mouse

Post by jacob »

... or trackball?

I know that with keyboards, there's IBM M/unicomp/Das keyboard or similar, but what about the ultimate mouse/trackball? Is it worth bothering with anything but the generic version?

C40

Re: Ultimate mouse

Post by C40 »

I don't know a whole lot about this subject, but:

I'm partial to these:
Image they work very well for my hand/wrist, if I can get my wrist elevated a bit so my wrist/hand is pointing straight.

I think the "laser" type mouses are can be very reliable. I had a Razor gaming mouse and I it was nice nice (I might still have it but I don't use it). It definitely worked better than a cheap mouse. The surface/pad you use it on can make a big difference.

arrrrgon

Post by arrrrgon »

I hate trackballs, but I've installed a few for people. They really liked this one. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemn ... _-26125019

If you're planning to do some gaming a gaming mouse might be worth it for accuracy, but I always did alright with my $10 mouse.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

C40 wrote: I think the "laser" type mouses are can be very reliable. ... The surface/pad you use it on can make a big difference.
Especially for a portable/smaller mouse, I like the Logitech Anywhere MX. It works well on any surface. It's my mouse of choice for both CAD and gaming.

http://www.engadget.com/products/logite ... -mouse-mx/

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

The most reliable mouse I have found for my money is a generic Amazon one, 4 years in and it hasn't misbehaved yet. There are cheaper ones, but I've found this as good (if not better) than a spendy 'gaming' mouse at 6-7x the cost that I bought in my spendy days.

Sure it's available in the US as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3- ... azon+mouse

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Razer diamondback gaming mouse going strong 10 years now and no end in sight!

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

That was the one I had that crapped out after a few short years!

Chad

Post by Chad »

Finally! Someone else that likes the trackpoint. I don't understand how 90% of laptops come with touch pads. The trackpoint is so much better. You never have to pick your hands up off the keyboard and it's more accurate. I haven't tried Lenovo's version since they took over.

For a regular mouse I like something that fully fits my hand and is wireless and responds promptly. Like this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirele ... tech+mouse

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

We have deployed thousands of mice at work and most people get the generic Microsoft mouse. The people who want something else usually ask due to pain or having exceptionally large or small hands or they have a desire to use the programmable keys on the mouse. I consider mice for laptops a different beast: if people complain, it's usually because they want something wireless/portable.

So generic works well if that's what you like. At home I use a generic three button mouse, at work I have a vertical (handshake) type mouse. What I would really like is to find a mouse that does not have an audible click. :P

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I'm a trackpoint guy, too, on the laptop and disable the touch pad. Carrying around an extra device for a laptop never made any sense to me.

I prefer a track ball for a desktop, because it requires less space and fits neatly next to keyboard. But I also try to use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. No, I don't think its worth bothering with anything non-generic unless you have some specialized need. (Avid gamers come to mind.)

ArkTinkerer

Post by ArkTinkerer »

Agree with first response but I like the cordless Logitech Trackman. Only need your thumb to move around, stays in one spot on the desk, has the scroll wheel now as well. Whats not to like?

Noided

Post by Noided »

I use a standard 3 button mouse at work. I had a very small one for a day before I traded with a co-worker for a regular size. For keyboard I have a small Genius because the desk is not very big and the keyboard is similar to that of my macbook.

However, there should be more ergonomic (and more expensive) keyboards out there.

My keyboard:
http://s1.kuantokusta.pt/img_upload/pro ... yb-usb.jpg

henrik

Post by henrik »

+1 to the trackpoint club!

Ego

Post by Ego »

I like the Logitech Ultrathin Bluetoth Touch Mouse because it allows me to use the Win8 screen swipe gestures on the face of the mouse itself. I also like the fact that it works on imperfect surfaces. Got a refurb on ebay for $24 shipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05GDay1e6Q

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

... or trackball?

I know that with keyboards, there's IBM M/unicomp/Das keyboard or similar, but what about the ultimate mouse/trackball? Is it worth bothering with anything but the generic version?
Trackball or mouse depends on what stage of RSI you are at or how long you want to prolong it. I am ambidextrous, and I like things that enable economy of effort and movement. So for a while I used http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-0008 ... 001F42MKG/ You could even use two trackballs to enable seamless load balancing (cursor movement with one hand and click with the other).

I use touchpad these days as it allows next level of impact elimination – click/doubleclick/scroll are all seamless. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Recharge ... 0093H4WT6/

With both of the above and an auto click software, your clicks during browsing drops to almost zero.

Mouse/trackpoint is for people who like to grip/press on things by brute force instead of on the fly movements enabled with trackball/touchpad.

C40

Post by C40 »

When you're talking about touchpads, the quality of the touchpad makes a huge difference. I have a Macbook pro and the touchpad works great. I also have a Dell or HP for work and the trackpad is, comparatively, a piece of crap. (and so is most of the computer :-/ )

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

When you're talking about touchpads, the quality of the touchpad makes a huge difference. I have a Macbook pro and the touchpad works great. I also have a Dell or HP for work and the trackpad is, comparatively, a piece of crap. (and so is most of the computer :-/ )
you are right. that is one of the very few things i like about Mac - its touchpad experience is top notch! Logitech external touchpad with windoze 8.1 is pretty good, and it is as spacious as external touchpad from Apple.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@bigato - Check out unicomp. They bought the IBM specs and make various version of the M including one with a trackball and one with the red rubber thingy.

@mxlr650 - Except, apparently, this particular macbookpro I'm using which is the reason I'm asking.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

Except, apparently, this particular macbookpro I'm using which is the reason I'm asking.
Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse should work without any driver update (on Mavericks atleast). Apple magic trackpad is very good. I have two of them, and since i am exiting soon, i can send you one for free -- it is more expensive than your book :lol: