Forum members swapping trash and treasure by flatrate mail

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
SavingWithBabies

Re: Forum members swapping trash and treasure by flatrate mail

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@Smashter wireless mesh will always be slower than non-mesh. It's the nature of the beast. Unless they are high end units, you can assume you'll loose your speed divided by the number of mesh units. So say you have a 100 megabit connection and 3 devices then you can expect 100/3 = 33 megabits if you're not connected/near the unit plugged directly into the internet connection.

There are ways to solve this. Typically by having the units support another radio spectrum that they use as a backhaul for communication or having each unit plugged into ethernet (again, faster backhaul or path to the internet).

With mesh networking, you're giving up top end speed for an overall better connection. So it's a trade off and unless you get high end units, it does end up eating up top end speed. That said, my understanding is if you set another computer next to yours, it too would get a similar connection to yours so the overall speed isn't wasted. So the effort is towards making the overall experience for everyone who can connect to the mesh better not maximizing the individual speed of a single device.

That said, they could have some kind of technical limitation or there could be something else at play (too high a utilization of the wifi spectrum(s)). Just figured I'd mention it as ran into this limitation as ran into it again at a relative's over Thanksgiving when we installed a mesh network in their home. The way these are marketed is poor because they do a bad job of explaining the hit to max speed. Although if they were transparent about that, they would probably sell less. I personally think they would have less returns too but I guess someone has figured out it's still worth it.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Thanks for that rundown, SWB. Very interesting. I definitely don't have the need for a mesh system, but I sure thought I did. There's a lesson there.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Anyone have an old fitness tracker they would like to give away or trade for? Here are some things I have laying around that I could give in return: viewtopic.php?p=263392#p263392.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core SL with a hole near the valve to US by First Class mail.

Image Image Image

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

If I remember correctly pads are very repairable with some variant of seam grip type glue. I fixed a hole in one and it held air well. Should be a worthwhile project for someone.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

8-)
Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:10 pm
If I remember correctly pads are very repairable with some variant of seam grip type glue. I fixed a hole in one and it held air well. Should be a worthwhile project for someone.
In the unlikely event the Ego acquired said sleeping pad in a regular retail manner Big Agnes has a great warranty too but requires a receipt.

I had leak. I got a replacement that I ended up selling at the request of my campground neighbor whose pad died mid music festival. I know we currently have more pads the humans in our house so I definitely will pass.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@Gilberto.... Funny, I bought a the contest of a military tent repair outfit a while ago. I just looked in the bin. I have more than a hundred tubes of seam grip in there so I will toss one in with a sheet of thin nylon material to perform the repair. Shipping is free if the person agrees to post the repair in the fixit log. I have enough stuff so no need to send me anything in return.

@Laura Ingalls, you know me well. Unfortunately no receipt.

Anesau

Post by Anesau »

Cat 2
  • XPPen Drawing Tablet - full setup with color screen, glove, cords, and stylus. Needs to be connected to a computer with both USB A and HDMI plugins
  • Books - some CS textbooks (Computer Networks and Internets by Comer, Clean Code by Martin, and Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming by Van Roy). Some philosophy/fiction, including (but not limited to) the collected works of Nietzche, the Baghvad Gita, and Crime & Punishment
  • Women's winter clothes (probably mostly size S or M). Not sure exactly which items, but happy to check if anyone's interested. Also a few Men's S fleece quarter zips, and unisex knitted hats
Cat W
  • Seeds, especially for edible plants that can be grown in the shade (spinach?). Or any other useful gardening items
  • Bird-related items (art? fabric?)
  • Bumper stickers. Preferably ones gotten for free, extreme bonus points for especially dumb/divisive ones

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I went through my stuff again. Here's an updated list in case anyone is interested in swapping some flat rate packages (US only).

Cat 1)
A hardtail Trek steel MTB converted to touring, butterfly handlebar, racks, panniers, ratty look (only apply if 6’2”+) (local only)
ADEC pilot watch (ADEC was a division of Citizen in the 1990s) worth about $100 back then.

Cat 2)
eTrex GPS (no maps, simple, check points, find your way back, water resistant, legend has it that you can run it through a laundry cycle, software is borked and timestamps no longer work, so no longer good for yacht racing, but still good for navigating)
VGA-VGA cable (two), Displayport-Displayport cable, RCA A/V cable (fancy looking, gold plated), also other cables, too many to list. Just ask.
Kindle 3G keyboard (white) + blue cover (depreciated by amazon, battery down to 1 day’s worth)
iPhone 5S (freebie, barely functional as far as I know. Maybe you can make something out of it)
Compost worms (red wigglers, local pickup only!)
Various watch batteries (button battery for watches, calculators, ...) (local pickup only!)
More watch stuff: Spring bars to attach straps to watches for NATO conversions.
Most bicycle parts (gear and brake cables, inner tubes, cable housing, bar wrap, cogs, cassettes, bar plugs, handles, cable ends, ferrules, …) Maybe a starting kit for newbies?
random yarn (DW has an enormous collection, so ask)
AAII journals (2023)
Random hobby-sized brass tubing (be very specific and I might have it, e.g. 2” of 5/32 ID)
Patreon stuff: HTME stickers / Stuart McMillan postcards
Boxes, packing material, padded envelopes (local only, it makes little sense to mail this)
Various smartphone/computer disassembly tools (small screwdrivers, pry bars)
Gear wheels made out of plywood (I make clocks. These are surplus parts. Artsy projects?)
Random vegetable seeds
Various MOLLE attachments (D clips, straps, etc.)
Books from the Doomer library

Cat wanted)
SATA to USB cable for hdd->sdd cloning
Camp knife capable of batoning firewood, alternatively, a handaxe.
Playable magic the gathering 60-card decks for playing with DW when camping.
Protoboards, various electronic components (resistors, capacitors, transistors, test leads,...)
Arduino, Raspberry Pi stuff
PC parts to build a decent gaming computer (around 3.5-4GHz, 2020ish)
TapoutXT2, P90X3, et al. (DVD workouts, hardcore only, no yoga or fat loss stuff, please)
Wooden dowels (clean, any diameter)
Metal rods (brass, steel, not rusted, <1”dia.)
Lead (pellets, cylinders, blocks... ) (I use them as clock ballast)
Vegetable seeds. (Especially high SHU chili seeds :) )
Velcro backed morale patches (2”x3”)

Anesau

Post by Anesau »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:11 am
Pretty sure I have an arduino (+ beginner kit with random electronic components), a couple raspberry pis, and some pretty decent computer parts sitting around. Let me do a full inventory before committing, but I would probably be willing to swap for some of your cat 2s.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I'd like to borrow Bill Mollison's Permaculture: A Designer's Manual. Used copies are $150. If anyone who owns it is willing, I'd like to borrow your copy for 1-2 months at the end of which I'll ship it back to you. I'll either reimburse your shipping or include something you want that I have.

If anyone attending erefest has it that makes it simpler: drop it off in September and I'll ship it back to you.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I can loan you mine if no one brings it to EREfest.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:23 pm
I imagine you've ready checked but figure it's worth mentioning to see if your library has it or if you can get it via interlibrary loan?

There were multiple copies available in AK when I got it, which leads me to think that there has to be at least one in SoCal.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

@jp thank you! If nothing turns up by then I'll pm you.

@animal It's not in my counties system but I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know about interlibrary loans. I put in an ILL request we'll see if it pops up.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

If a book is not available in your state, you may be able to request nation wide via WorldCat. At my library, there's a $5 fee for such requests.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@AH - You are welcome to my copy and can hold on to it for the next year or so. I'll dm you for your address and try to get it in the mail next week.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I have two icebreaker short sleeve woman’s t shirts size large.

One is black with a crewneck the other is fuchsia with a bit of a vee. They have been worn some but frankly I thought they were hot and itchy. Though I loved the base layer bottoms I bought at the same time to death, go figure.

Pm if interested.

Walwen

Post by Walwen »

I have:
a yellow and orange holographic desk toy that's like an origami puzzle connected with rare earth magnets
a freeman chamomile hair mask (single use packet)
a Lord of the Rings themed Magic The Gathering deck with three themed dice from an event and deck bag, also includes a few weird cards they handed out. @jacob it's a little under 60 cards, I don't know anything about MtG. [swapped!]

I want:

YARN any YARN that's all/almost all natural fiber content (i.e. not acrylic or polyester). Preferably masculine/neutral colors not baby pink or crazy furry sparkle yarn. Any weight (thickness) ok.

Will try to add some more stuff soon. I dunno if anyone wants a used wind instrument but I have a ceramic double ocarina laying around.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

A few changes:

For swapping with something of equal value)
A hardtail Trek MTB converted for touring with panniers and bags (height 6’2”-6'4" or so) (local pickup only)
ADEC pilot watch (ADEC was a division of Citizen in the 1990s) worth about $100 back then.

For swapping where value doesn’t matter as long as the swap is worth the US postage, sorry no internationals)
VGA-VGA cable (two), Displayport-Displayport cable, RCA A/V cable (fancy looking, gold plated), also other audio and computer cables, too many to list. Just ask.
Kindle 3G keyboard (white) + blue cover (deprecated by amazon, battery lasts ~1 day)
Random yarn (DW has an enormous collection, so ask)
AAII journals (2023)
Patreon stuff: HTME stickers / Stuart McMillan postcards
Various smartphone/computer disassembly tools (small screwdrivers, pry bars)
USB-A to Apple Lightning (for charging iThings) carabiner
4 round 1” slabs of hardwood with a live edge. I made a lazy susan out of one.
Asus Eee laptop w BunsenLinux installed. It can run directly off a 12V car battery!

Ditto for parts (I have a growing inventory of odd parts. I can also put together starter kits!)
Bicycle repair: gear and brake cables, inner tubes, cable housing, bar wrap, cogs, cassettes, bar plugs, handles, cable ends, ferrules, …
Electronics components: resistors, LEDs, capacitors, potmeters, cartridge fuses, …
MOLLE web attachments (various, all black)
Nuts & Bolts: fractional (¼-20, 6-32, etc) and metric (M3-M6) nuts and bolts, zip ties, #2 square lag screws, rawl plugs, wood screws, lock rings, set screws,…

Local only)
Compost worms (red wigglers, local pickup only!)
Various watch batteries (button battery for watches, calculators, ...) (local pickup only!)
Boxes, packing material, padded envelopes (local only, it makes little sense to mail this)

Wanted:
USB-A to micro-USB cable, 4ft or longer.
Dymowriter or similar label maker.
USB to SATA cable for hdd->sdd cloning
PC parts to build a decent gaming computer (perhaps worth the touring bike above?)
TapoutXT2, P90X3, et al. (DVD workouts, hardcore only, no yoga or fat loss stuff please)
Metal rods (brass, steel, not rusted, <1”dia.)
Heirloom seeds. (Especially high SHU chili seeds :) )

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

@Jacob -- happy to send you some melt-your-face-off pepper seeds at the end of the season (~Oct) and maybe a bottle of hot sauce or two. No need to send anything in return, my way of saying thanks for creating & hosting this community.

Will send a larger amount of seeds from unnamed variety boxes* I've bought (unnamed b/c cheaper) and also a few special breeds.

^^ 3 years ago and still have a ton of these dried because they're insane (seeds were not dehydrated with heat)

If looks could kill

Sugar rush peach stripey (unripened)

Purple haze (thai variety) -- great in stir fry or chunky sauces/chutneys/chimichurri

*If you want fruits this year, I can recommend a facebook seller who is open to haggling at the very end of season to offload his final harvest. Large flat rate box full. Pretty wild to open (would advise opening the windows).