Hi from (Old) York

Say hello!!
jiminyork

Post by jiminyork »

Hi everyone

I came across the ERE website from a recommendation on the Motley Fool UK website. I liked the writing and I liked the ideas, which seemed quite a novel way of looking at the world we live in today. I bought and downloaded the book, and am now working my way through it.

I’m not sure about the “retiring early” bit all the same. I enjoy my job, and often wonder if Jacob now has just got himself a new job that he enjoys, as opposed to one he didn’t. He calls it “early retirement”, but I’m not so sure that’s exactly what it is. Still, I like the philosophy and the view of our insane modern society even while I acknowledge I’m caught up and “locked in” it myself. My view is that it really ain’t so bad and that you can laugh at the materialism of others while occasionally enjoying a wee bit of it yourself. Yes, building and repairing your own PC is satisfying, but so is buying that new Mac Air Book and not having to think twice about the cost of it. And cooking your own food has an extra frisson when you know you could just as easily ‘phone Domino’s if you felt so inclined. It’s often written that the best thing about having money is that it gives you choice, and I feel there’s a truth to that. We are lucky to live in a time and society that allows it.

Anyway, look forward to joining the debates!