ringofFIRE's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
ringofFIRE

ringofFIRE's journal

Post by ringofFIRE »

Hi everyone, my name is ringofFIRE. I apologize in advance if I ramble in this journal, but I feel the need to spill my guts when it comes to my financial and life journey. And maybe this journal will help somebody out there. If anything, it will add to the growing list of examples of those seeking (and obtaining) freedom.

I've been a long-time lurker of this forum and a proponent of financial independence ever since reading Jacob's book a couple years ago. I have always been frugal, but have become much more conscious of my finances as a result of joining this community. I owe many of you a debt of gratitude for all of the advice you have freely given on this forum. I hope one day I can pay it forward and be as helpful to the next generation of FI'ers.

A little about me: I am a 28 year old single male living and working in Northeast Ohio. (I am mostly single by choice, although my introversion and history of illness do not help matters, but I digress - maybe more on that in another post.) I studied accounting in college and have worked in corporate accounting for the past 5 years.

Now for my financial situation (all numbers are monthly figures):

Gross pay: $4892
Net pay: $2750
401k contributions: $1223 (my employer only allows 25% of gross pay, otherwise I would max this out)

Expenses (avg of last 6 months):
Rent + utilities: $430
Food: $300
Car costs (fuel, maintenance, insurance): $80
Travel: $80
Bus pass: $65
Doctor visits: $100
Cell phone: $10
Gym: $10
Misc: $200
Total: $1275

Assets:
Savings: $16,000
Checking: $500
HSA: $3,233 (cash; I contributed the max in 2014)
Investments:
Taxable accounts: $125,530 (made up of $102k Vanguard stock index funds and $24k individual stocks).
Roth IRA: $27,100 (50% bond index fund and 50% individual stock. I no longer contribute to a Roth.)
Traditional IRA: $5,736 (bond index fund; I contribute the max)
Rollover IRA: $35,540 (50% bond index fund and 50% stock index fund)
401k: $11,743 (80% stock index fund and 20% inflation-protected securities)
Total Assets: $225,382

Credit card debt: -$800 (I always pay balance in full each month)

Total net worth: $224,582

Regarding my income situation, I just changed jobs this year and started at a company that likes to promote from within. I actually took a slight pay cut to make this change, but I expect to get promoted in 2015 and fall back in line with what I previously made. My income could probably be higher at this point in my career (5 years experience), but I don't play the corporate politics game.

My spending has been pretty consistent since I started tracking on Mint in 2012 aside from inflation. I would love to cut my food costs to $100-150 month like many people on this forum, but I try to follow a Paleo diet due to the health issues I have. I take the bus to work, but also own a car since bike riding is extremely uncomfortable 6 months out of the year here. The physician costs will hopefully go away in 2015. All of these costs were completely worthless in fixing my situation, so I am going to be my own doctor in the future. The miscellaneous costs are comprised of a lot of expenses from moving into a new house and getting new furniture, as well as buying new clothes for my job. I expect that category to diminish in 2015. As for the gym, I don't go enough to justify the cost even though it is only $10/month. That's what New Year's Resolutions are for though, right? :-)

For investments, I try to maintain a lazy portfolio of mostly index funds with low expense ratios. I have some individual stocks that I picked back when I thought I could outperform the market. Needless to say the index funds have been more successful and require much less work.

My parents paid for my college, so I have no debt other than the credit card I pay in full each month. My only other asset not included here is my old beater car.

Thanks for reading my first post - I would love to hear any feedback you may have! In the next posts I will go into more detail about career and FI plans.

Ydobon

Re: ringofFIRE's journal

Post by Ydobon »

Those are some very healthy looking numbers, I am always a little jealous when I see the rent and utility figures that some of the American posters have. Is that for your own place, or for a room?! In context, I live near one of the two biggest cities in Scotland and it would be at least another 60% in costs above what you pay to rent somewhere (even in a deprived area with social and drug problems etc.)

Welcome :)

ringofFIRE

Post by ringofFIRE »

Hi Ydobon, that is the rent and utilities for the bottom half of a duplex (2BR/1BA) that I share with a roommate. The gas bill will increase with the winter months approaching, but so far we have paid $430/month pretty consistently. And that includes cable, which I would get rid of in a heartbeat if my roommate didn't watch it so much. I live in a suburb of Cleveland, OH with a ton of rentals that are very affordable and safe. Truth be told, our landlord could easily charge $60 more per month, but I'm not going to argue.

ringofFIRE

Post by ringofFIRE »

In my last post, I detailed my financial situation. In this post, I will go into further detail about my plans.

In my 28 years on this earth, my life has been laid out for me. Go to school, get a college degree, work a desk job for the next 40 years. I quickly realized this way of living was unsustainable for me (can it even be called living?). In 2011, just 2 years into my working career, I came across the blog http://www.tosimplify.net and became enamored with the nomadic lifestyle. I had not yet discovered the FI movement, but I was still very frugal at the time, leaving me enough savings to buy an RV and see the country until I figured out what to do for money next.

It wasn't long after that I discovered Jacob's blog and read Early Retirement Extreme and Your Money or Your Life. I soon realized I could tough out a few more years of work and become financially independent. It has been nearly 3 years since discovering this movement, and I have been aggressively saving ever since.

The travel bug has once again infected me. Maybe it's the changing of the season, but I have returned to dreaming of the nomadic lifestyle. I have been researching van dwelling and longing for an escape.

With my current net worth, I am fairly close to a passive income of $10k/year assuming a 4% withdrawal rate. I have read accounts of van dwellers who keep their expenses around $600-700 per month; in other words, I am very close to financial independence assuming I can achieve this low level of spending. By living in a van and living rent-free, my only significant expenses would be gas, maintenance costs, and food.

The only thing holding me back is fear - fear that I should keep working, fear that I will end up hating it, fear that I will run out of money and be forced back into a cubicle. But life is too short - I need to make a change. I need to trade security for freedom. But is now the right time?