Open Space journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Open Space

Open Space journal

Post by Open Space »

I’ve very much enjoyed reading some of the other journals here and hope mine will prove to be somewhat interesting to others. I also hope it will help clarify my goals and keep me motivated to work toward them.

Background:
Family: married with a 10 year old son
Professional/career: Project manager in R&D in the oil and gas industry. I’ve also had some graphic design side business in the past.
MTBI: INTP

I’ll start by saying that I’m not completely comfortable sharing all my financial details. Posting this is WAY outside my comfort zone. My expenses are also rather incomplete due to the way my husband and I split things up. We have always kept our finances completely separate as we have very different approaches to managing money. We divide things up approximately like this:

Me: Mortgage, child care expenses, vacations, home improvement/projects, cell phones, my car expenses and discretionary purchases

Him: Utilities, groceries, insurance, house services (termite control, garbage service, etc) internet service (expensive in the country), satellite TV, family entertainment (movies, restaurant etc.), his car expenses and purchases.

At this point I will focus on my side of the equation and start suggesting changes that will help cut his expenses as well. Hopefully he will see my progress and develop some interest in this as well. I think he is happier with his career and less motivated to stop working full time.
In general we have always lived well within our means and saved 10-20% of income. Our assets (in descending order) are in retirement accounts, home equity, a couple of margin accounts (which we invest separately), and cash. Our only debt is the mortgage which we owe $100k.

We currently live in our “dream” house which we built 14 years ago. At that point we could barely afford it but it has everything in it we wanted. In hind sight, the house is too big as we originally planned for a larger family, but I love living here! We have 3 acres which are heavily wooded with a variety of trees, and we have planted many others. You can look out my windows (most of which have no blinds or curtains) and see wildlife daily :D . I’ve made some sacrifices to live here (8 years of long commutes – thankfully that’s over) and staying in a career which isn’t where I want to be much longer. I don’t hate it, but the stress levels are unpredictable - some years are great, others are very difficult and have affected my health. I’d also like a lot more time to pursue other interests.

4 years ago I changed jobs (and industries), and with bonuses and promotions I’ve had a 40% increase in salary. In the process, early FI (with the kind of home I want) is starting to look feasible. Over the last few months, I closed a savings account and put it toward the mortgage. In June I paid off my car, and in August my child care costs dropped (my son is out of after school care).

So the short term goal is paying off the house. Doing this in two years is easy now, but I’m getting impatient and want faster progress. Once the house payment is gone I can save faster, but more importantly my fixed expenses drop dramatically, and I'm free to look for lower paying jobs which are more satisfying if I like. I can also explore starting my own business full time. I doubt I’ll do this yet, but just having the option should dramatically reduce my stress and improve my motivation.

Longer term (2-3 years), I want to buy a rental property or two and see if I can deal with it. My family is convinced it’s expensive and troublesome (they have no direct experience), but I have a fundamental distrust of the stock market long term and RE looks like a great alternative. There is also the leverage, which you just can’t beat. I also have to save for the kiddo’s college expenses.

Much longer term (8+ years) – after my son is out of school and school districts no longer matter, I’ll explore moving to house #2. This will be smaller, further away from the coast (mosquitos and expensive windstorm insurance), and include design for solar or similar cost of living reductions. My goal is to be either FI or close enough to leave work and have supplemental income from small business projects. Where we move will be dependent on DH’s work situation. We have a target area about 100 miles away that appeals to both us in terms of weather, landscape, and proximity to family and our interests – but it’s too remote for continuing either of our current careers.

So enough of the story for now, I’ll start this by just keeping track of the mortgage balance and work up to some expense tracking. This month I’m putting roughly 85% of my income toward the house, but keep in mind the percentage of household income is lower.

For November the balance is $99.7k. The December payment should bring this down about $5k and that will happen early next week.

FrenchGirl

Re: Open Space journal

Post by FrenchGirl »

Hi @OpenSpace!

You seem to be on a great track!
I find very interesting the way you split things with your husband! With my boyfriend, we tend to merge everything, which bring its own challenges.

Oh and I can totally understand your attachment to your dream house! I don't have mine yet, but I dream (literally really dream) about it, how I would build it from the ground, where it would be, etc. Once I have that (with my life plan, not in at least ten years unfortunately), it will be hard to let go! :)

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Welcome!

GandK

Post by GandK »

Welcome, and congratulations on your progress so far!

m741

Post by m741 »

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Best of luck, and looking forward to future updates.

Open Space

Post by Open Space »

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I'm happy to confirm that the balance on the house is now $94.8k. Seeing this number below six figures is incredibly motivating and has me looking for ways to make it come down faster. I realized the 85% of income I put toward the house isn't really accurate. The payment included property tax and insurance which are as much as many FI people here are paying for rent. Oh well, that will be a manageable number.

The next couple of months will be tighter. I'm buying new tires for my car, having a minor surgical procedure, and have to buy gifts for Christmas. The last is frustrating because we skipped it last year. My husband and I loved it. Its amazing how low stress the holidays are when you cut out shopping and wrapping for everyone. Unfortunately the rest of the family didn't care for it so much and want to exchange again this year. I guess I'll just have to ask for some goodies which will support future savings efforts...maybe I can talk my father into making a compost bin for me instead of buying something?

Open Space

Post by Open Space »

I've spent the last few days geeking out over food pricing. Today the family spent an hour wandering around SAMs club writing down prices to decide if a membership is worthwhile. (fortunately our son had never been in a bulk purchase store so he loved seeing all the "huge" packages) I now have a nice spreadsheet comparing unit pricing of everything and savings vs Kroger where we normally shop. In our case the answer is a solid yes. From the list of items we buy, all but two were much better prices, with an average savings of 32%. So If I buy $150 of those items at our local grocery store, they would be $102 at SAMS...meaning we pay for the membership with the first $100 of purchases - not bad! We can easily do that in one trip.

I had a membership way back before we bought the house, but buying in bulk in a small apartment just didn't work. I'm not sure why I didn't consider it before...probably just because I wasn't focused on the cost. It's a 30 min drive, but we are in that area once every few weeks anyway so it shouldn't add to the gas bill. We have a chest freezer so I can stock up on frozen foods and canned stuff as well.

I've read that you can get better deals by combining store sales and coupons, but my brief experiments suggest that will take hours of work each week and visits to multiple stores. I think the SAMs membership will get us a good portion of that savings, and I can put my time to better use in other areas.

Open Space

Post by Open Space »

Well, I'm finally back...the last few weeks have been challenging to say the least. First three weeks of stress and long hours at work to complete our objectives for the end of the year, then surgery and recovery over the holidays, and then getting sick and missing time from work right after I went back. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again and get refocused on normal life and some of my goals. Fortunately I didn't have much opportunity to spend money while working my ass off or lying on the couch for the last few weeks. The medical bills came in at about $1300 which was better than I had expected. Gifts were about $600 with over half going to a family member on fixed income. I also postponed buying tires and got some reimbursement money so December turned out fairly well.

New balance on the house is $89.9k.

I started using Mint in December and I was pleasantly surprised that it connects with ALL my accounts, even 401k. It does make me nervous having all of my financial login information in one place, but seeing everything together is convenient. I'm going to stick with it for a few months and see how it works out.

To reduce expenses I canceled my cleaning service. That probably sounds over the top to most of you here, but it kept my house from being a total mess when work got overwhelming. We will see how bad things get or if I can keep up with it. I'm telling myself I can live with it until the house is paid for, and if I can make it that long then hopefully I'll be able to keep the momentum up. Savings is about $2k a year.