Ether's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
ether

Re: Ether's Journal

Post by ether »

I didn't post often since there were lots of times even I thought I couldn't do it.

couple hiccups along the way:
-lost $65k to fraudster in 2019 (at the time it was 30% of all my savings)
-was unemployed for several months in 2020 and considered giving up on my career
-panic sold all my stocks in both 2020 and 2022 and lost out on what I computed to by around $70k
-lost $20k shorting dogecoin in 2020

The cheat codes for me that drastically accelerated my growth despite these setbacks were:
-not caring about risks and just doing overemployed. I took on roles that were beneath my skill so the workload was not overwhelming and just grinded super hard until I got a reputation as a rockstar at my employers
-I didn't hang around college long (2.5 years). I specifically picked an easy degree and took as many AP classes as possible as a teen. I worked 30 hours a week in a white collar student job and still went to school full time. This vast job experience before I even applied for internships was critical to getting my foot in the door and beating my competition
-I picked a skill that was high demand low supply. It's not about being the best it's just about being scarce (economics ftw)
- I bought 1950s homes from a retiring house flipper/section 8 landlord in a super high crime area in the south east. I locked in 4.5% 30 year fixed investor loans and the homes have doubled in price. Rents day one were 150% of the mortgage and I was banking on zero appreciation

I shared my story with the FIRE group on reddit and it was mostly insults that all my advice was idiotic and I was just a liar. I just wanted to share some non traditional advice that worked for me. I don't know what will work for the next 18 year old starting out today but this is my story and thank you for listening <3

Alternative thread if you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fire/comments/ ... a_w2_work/
Last edited by ether on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Reddit looks like a rough crowd. Thanks for posting your updates here, very cool to see. Congrats on reaping the rewards of your hard work.

Egg

Post by Egg »

Ah, Reddit. I don't agree with all of your advice on that post but I also am both (a bit) older and (a lot) less wealthy so at the end of the day you're onto something.

The overemployment does seem to have worked out especially well for you, as does the real estate investment. Overemployment is not for me - I couldn't handle the stress of the extra work or of being discovered, personally - but the fruits of your labour are clear to see. Well done again

ether

Post by ether »

It's unorthodox, high risk and depending on your morals just plain wrong.
I know it's not for most.
I naturally like risk and that has bitten me in the butt several times, but since we're already a group of eccentrics I figured you might find it amusing.
I got exposure to it when I worked in consulting and was expected to work on two projects at once for separate clients.

Ego

Post by Ego »

This journal was so much fun to read. So much so that I went back and started reading all of your old comments. Sorry I didn't pay attention sooner. When is the movie coming out?

You zig when everyone else is zagging. Learning about taxes at 20! Who does that? Getting your real estate license to save money on the transactions. Hah! Holding down two remote jobs simultaneously. Getting a degree for almost free. Did you get the citizenship?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Hey congrats! Well done, you’re well ahead on nearly all of your goals. Have you made it to AK yet?

ether

Post by ether »

Ego wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:59 am
When is the movie coming out?
Did you get the citizenship?
Link in bio for my $99 course of shortcuts in life. Just kidding ;)
No passport yet. I had trouble getting a key document (original/notarized birth certificate from 1897) and gave up. I got more time to burn soon so I'm going to give it a 2nd shot.
theanimal wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:52 pm
Hey congrats! Well done, you’re well ahead on nearly all of your goals. Have you made it to AK yet?
What's AK? I haven't been super active on the forums for the past couple years. Is this the new meetup?

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

ether wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:49 pm
What's AK?
Alaska. Likely referring to:
ether wrote:
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:40 pm
Long term goal (5-10 years)
Explore rural Alaska
ETA: Here are threads about two meet ups next year, if you want to attend!

ERE Fest (California - September): viewtopic.php?t=12997
ERE Encampment (Kentucky - March): viewtopic.php?t=12981

Ego

Post by Ego »

ether wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:49 pm
No passport yet. I had trouble getting a key document (original/notarized birth certificate from 1897) and gave up. I got more time to burn soon so I'm going to give it a 2nd shot.
US documents or Italian? I have a guy who can get the Italian, if needed. My comune ignored my request. He got it in days.

ether

Post by ether »

Ego wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:36 pm
US documents or Italian? I have a guy who can get the Italian, if needed. My comune ignored my request. He got it in days.
That's so kind, thank you!
My biggest issue is the Italian side. The city he departed from during immigration is not the commune where he was born it looks like. Sending a DM

ether

Post by ether »

mathiverse wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:04 pm
Alaska. Likely referring to:

ERE Fest (California - September): viewtopic.php?t=12997
ERE Encampment (Kentucky - March): viewtopic.php?t=12981
AK was another missed goal but it's still on my list. When I was 19 my backup plan if college didn't work out was just to work seasonal jobs in Hawaii and Alaska since there was such a labor shortage. Now I'm excited to go as a tourist instead of a migrant laborer.

I'm excited to do a meetup now that I don't have to worry about PTO!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Congrats but your discoverdata site is down. Consider putting up that content on a forum thread perhaps?

ether

Post by ether »

fiby41 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:03 am
Congrats but your discoverdata site is down. Consider putting up that content on a forum thread perhaps?
github hosts websites for free now. url won't die now
https://ether314.github.io/