Journal of DrSweden

Where are you and where are you going?
DrSweden

Journal of DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

Job/Education: :As my nickname suggest I am a doctor from Sweden. I am currently doing my residency in psychiatry with about 4 years to go. I am trying to finish my PhD at the same time with a plan to present it in 2016.

Family: I am married and have to children (1,5 years old and 1 month). Me and my wife have separate economics. We split everything for the household, car and so on. Since she is on maternity leave (we get 80% of salary in sweden, but we stretch it out so she will have 50%). I give her money each month so she gets 75% of her normal salary after taxes. We have found it to be better to separate our finances in this way.

Housing: We live in a 1540 square feet (143 m2) house in southern part of Sweden. We own the house and has a mortage of about 80%. Debt 260 000 $. Interest 2,97% (We get 30% back in sweden from the goverment).

FI-plan: My plan is to be FI at the age of 40 (I am almost 30 now). Last year did I make 117 000 $ pretax and 72100 after tax (38,36% tax). I save 50 % of my net earnings (does not count money I give to my wife). My goal is to save even more. I take the bus to work (20 km) but we own a 2003 audi.

Since I haven't worked that long I have not had the time to accumulate so much assets. My net worth today is 90 000 $. I invest in companies that pay dividend but at the moment I collect money for a future correction.

Training: Being on good shape is important for me. Being able to run 10 km, or do 200 snatches with a 24 kg kb in 10 min (Have done this earlier) is two skills I want to be able to do anytime. I like to be strong but mostly I want to focus on my cardiovascular health.

My goal for the current is to drop down to 85 kg (from about 87-88) kg and to run 3 times a week. Deadlifts and kb is in focus as well in the gym.

DrSweden

Re: Journal of DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

My current project is to get a bread-machine and start to make my own bread since we eat alot. According to my calculations I will break even in 10 weeks. Bread is expensive in Sweden. I am planning to find a couple of good recepies and then prepare bags with the ingredients so it only takes 2 minuts in the evening to prepare the machine. I will be nice to wake up every morning to baked bread. However I don't like the idea of a new machine in the house.

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

I had the nightshift last night. I worked until 0530 in the morning until I could get some sleep. I was so tired, however It did pay me 2200$ before tax that is. Another building block towards FI. I wonder how tired I will be if I have to work night when I am 60 years old (like some of my colleagues).

rube

Post by rube »

2.2K USD for one night shift? Woohaaa!
I would be calculating how many I can do and how much faster I would be FI.
Good luck!

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

rube wrote:2.2K USD for one night shift? Woohaaa!
I would be calculating how many I can do and how much faster I would be FI.
Good luck!
Well this one was in the weekend and and on a Swedish holliday, they pay extra. I work mon-fri office hours. Then shifts in the weekends. I earn maybe 50% extra compared to just working mon-fri. However it is important to find a balance between working extra and having time with my family. But the extra shifts helps me against FI much faster so I am very happy I have that opportunity.

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

Did a nice training routine yesterday.
Deadlift 120 kg 5 reps, 3 set
KB C&P 24 kg Ladders 1,2,3 x 3
Chins 6, 6, 6 (same reps as C&J).

I have a good strength level being able to lift 120 kg 5 reps x 3. To be a bit stronger would not hurt but I will focus more on KB snatch for endurance, running and rowing. Also drop my BW down from 87 to 85 kg (188 cm) to trim some body fat away.

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

Yesterdays training:
Turkish get up with 24 kb on each side 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

5 K in a rowing machine. Great workout. My goal this summer is to perfect a work-out routine with a few good exercises that I focus on. Running, rowing, kettlebell snatches, swings, TGU. Deadlift, chins and squat. My shoulders doesn't like bench press or else that would be a given.

Yesterday I also ordered a breadmachine. According to my calculations I will save 80% on each loaf of bread.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Have you tried to do a fixed gear commute?

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

Jean wrote:Have you tried to do a fixed gear commute?
Well no, if you mean a bike without freewheel. I always thought it looked dangerous. Have you? However I am playing with the idea to commute to work by bike in the spring/summer. I have about 20 km.

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

Here is my current portfolio. I have more cash but this is the percentage that is allocated to investing. I also have a buffer for the house/car and so on. There is only 8 different stock but I am working to diversify more. Medivir is a Swedish company I have bought for growth, they do not pay a dividend. They have started to sell a new drug agains Hepatitis C and the valuation of the company has not yet changed accordingly. However I plan to sell this stock within this year and buy stock with a dividend instead. My yield on cost is 3,9% and without Medivir it is 5,7%.

I like dividend growth investing. Since 2011 I have done a little better then return index.

I really like the feeling of buying into a company and that company will keep paying me dividends year after year. This is without me having to to any labour besides keeping track of my investments. I often look at the dividend aristocrats spreadsheet. http://dripinvesting.org/tools/tools.asp

It is hard now however to find fairly valued companies so I will gather up some money until I find something I want to buy.

Jean

Post by Jean »

DrSweden wrote:
Jean wrote:Have you tried to do a fixed gear commute?
Well no, if you mean a bike without freewheel. I always thought it looked dangerous. Have you? However I am playing with the idea to commute to work by bike in the spring/summer. I have about 20 km.
Yes,
It's not really more dangerous.
I like it, because you need to be focus on what you're doing, and you have push stonger when going up, and milling faster when going down. You are not milling at 90 rpm with the same stregth during your whole commute. So I think it's a great workout.

DrSweden

Bread machine

Post by DrSweden »

Bought a breadmachine, the timer is set for breakfast tomorrow. Very excited. I will save 80% on bread cost.

DrSweden

Free things!

Post by DrSweden »

Thing for free are the best. We got a playpen from friends of ours yesterday. They had no more use for it and we do. With two children 18 months apart with the youngest just one month + a very interested dog it is good to have a way to separate them.

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

The frugality continues. I have build a shed for firewood myself. It was very fun. I am not a big fan of a lot of power tools but a nice miter saw with sawing table is great when you build something. I bought one this summer. Also an electric screwdriver/drill is great.

I have also organized and thrown out stuff from our storage. Cables I would never use and had triples of, one at the most is enough. Old bad pillows and so on. My goal is to only store in there for seasonal use. I am thinking of getting big plastic containers with lids to store in. This prevent mice to get to them.

Next project is to get hooks for gardening tools in the shed. Everything should hang on the wall. It is a great feeling to organize an knowing exactly what thing you own and why.