Interesting piece on tipping

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
jennypenny

Re: Interesting piece on tipping

Post by jennypenny »

It's odd that it was only the men complaining about not being able to tip. Makes me wonder if it has something to do with high number of young women who work as wait staff. (if so, the comparison to strip clubs is even more on target)

Tyler9000

Re: Interesting piece on tipping

Post by Tyler9000 »

To me, the key statement is:

"...compelling research has shown that servers do not adjust quality of service as a result of tips."

From my own experience with service quality in non-tipping countries, I personally don't believe this. Incentives matter, and I don't find it all that unreasonable that someone in a service industry be compensated at least partially by the quality of their work. Of course, one can reasonably debate the appropriate division between guaranteed and tipped income.

In any case, I have no problem with this person running a restaurant in any way they like. If it works, they'll be profitable -- good for them. Where it gets ridiculous is in making it a sexist thing (men treating waitresses like strippers) or calling for tipping to be made illegal in the name of civil rights.