Stromboli

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Stromboli

Post by Ego »

Stromboli is like a giant calzone (folded pizza) that can be sliced like a cake. It is less doughy than a calzon because the dough is stretched as thin as a pizza and it can be stuffed with more healthy stuff than one might reasonably attempt to pile onto a pizza.

We make it whenever we happen to get the key ingredients cheap. We're vegan. Last week the Yves fake ground beef and the Go Veggie soy based fake mozzarella were on sale at Grocery Outlet for 99 cents each. Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough is $1.49. The onion, kale, tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers cost another $2 or $3. From this we'll get three meals or six servings at about $1 a serving.

First, thaw the dough and let it rise for a few hours then roll it out. We no longer own a rolling pin so I use a wine bottle.

The chop up the veggies and stir fry them in a pan to get some of the liquid out. I didn't do a good enough job with this batch as you can see below. I should have reduced it down further then pressed the liquid out. Normally I make this with lots of spinach, onions and garlic then really press the liquid out.

Spread the dough over a pan or Pyrex dish the fill it with the guts then cheese then more guts. Flip the edges over and moisten them so they stick.

Then flip the whole thing over in the pan (I tore it during the flip because the guts were too moist) then bake it for a while.

Let it cool then slice it into pieces like you would a cake. When it has cooled it congeals and the fake-cheese acts to bind it all together so it can be eaten like a sandwich if the stuffing material was not too moist.

jennypenny

Re: Stromboli

Post by jennypenny »

Yum.

I'm a spaz, so I stuff mine on a cutting board, place the same pyrex dish you show over the stromboli, and flip it that way.

I make what we call a French version, too. I might use broccoli, carrots, yellow and/or green zucchini, and then use swiss or gruyere cheese. I add leftover ham or turkey when I have some.

I also make a dessert version. I spread the inside of the dough with nutella, and fill with berries and a little pudding or a filling like sweetened ricotta (drain well). You can also add small marshmallows. I sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top sometimes.

btw ... a wine bottle is a better rolling pin anyway. If it has a screw top, you can fill it with ice cold water to keep the dough from sticking.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Damn, that sounds delicious. The Dessert version is a great twist. Now I'm hungry again. :lol:

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

In the UK frozen pizza dough is not something I have come across. We make Calzone for our DS (no cheese as he is allergic to dairy) and DH uses packet bread dough mix (ciabatta version) or if we are happen to have it pizza dough mix. Usually have some of this in the cupboard. Then freeze the calzone for lunchboxes in week.

Ego

Post by Ego »

We had this for lunch yesterday. Running the over on the hottest day of the year was pretty dumb. Jenny's nutella/berry version is on my list for the next cool day.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

If you want to lower the calories, you can use the thin dough like a pizza instead and eliminate the filling. Pop the dough in the oven until it's close to done. Pull it out and spread on the nutella and put it back in until warm. Take it out and add the berries. (If you want hot berries, add them when you add the nutella) Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar or a dollop of almost-whipped cream for dipping. (it adds some moisture since the pizza will be a little dry)

The pizza version is better if you need to use a gluten-free crust.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Oh yum! When should I come over? :D

Great photos. Now I need a snack.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Nutella strawberry 'pizza'
(looks prettier with confectioner's sugar, but I can't eat it and I wanted some :D )

Last edited by jennypenny on Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

@jennypenny -Yum. When is your cookbook coming out? :-)

Ego

Post by Ego »

I went grocery shopping this morning and the restaurant-sized bags of spinach were on sale today so I made a spinach stromboli.

Trader Joes dough. Mrs. Ego is the TJ shopper. I believe they no longer carry whole wheat dough.

Yeti rolling pin

I always forget to use JPs trick of making it on a cutting board and flipping it into the pan.

But I don't really need to make it pretty so I didn't bother to flip it at all.

The vegan cheese is no longer 99 cents a package like it was back in 2014. I believe we paid $1.49 for this one at Grocery Outlet.

It is baking now so I will add a few photos when complete.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Making me hungry.......

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

DS2 is going to culinary school and is really focused on bread/dough, so our homemade stuff like stromboli has improved significantly in quality. DD also became a cheesemonger after she had to leave China because of covid. Both specialties pair very nicely with our huge garden. We're eating luxuriously without any meat or worrying about food prices.

@Ego -- Now we make stromboli (or similar) on the back of a baking sheet like the one you're using and then use another to nest them and then flip them. That works better if we're making smaller, individual ones instead of a giant one.

Ego

Post by Ego »

It was tasty but not very photogenic this time. The crust did not brown very well. It cooked just fine. Not sure why. Jenny, I will try your flip technique. I will also try to make two smaller versions rather than one giant.

shaz

Post by shaz »

This thread inspired me to make a stromboli today. I made the dough then got lazy and made it as a sauce-less pizza instead of folded up to save the step of pre-cooking the veggies. DH was enthusiastic about the result and reminded me that I used to make us stromboli quite often 25 years ago. I used to buy frozen dough; I think this may be the first time I made the dough from scratch.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Yep, I too made an ugly version of stromboli last night. Random veggies, little bit of cheese and slathered with mustard, so good!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I tried this today...it looked like hell. Tasted good though.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Made another today.

shaz

Post by shaz »

@Ego your stromboli looks SO GOOD. Mine look like someone dropped a pizza. Now I need to make another one.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks @shaz. We use frozen dough from Trader Joes. This time I did not allow the dough to rise completely in the same way I would for pizza. I let it rise about halfway so that it has more elasticity. The stromboli was smaller but the shell remained intact. The dough is thicker so it needs to be cooked longer at a lower temperature. We got two meals out of this one. The second meal is in the freezer right now.

shaz

Post by shaz »

@Ego I will try not allowing the dough to rise completely for my next one. Thanks for the tip.