EdithKeeler wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:17 pm
Bought a house.
Better than the farm.

Congrats.

EdithKeeler

So all of this happened....

Post by EdithKeeler » Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Back on March 26, I was railing about the fact that I had been told that the job I didn’t think was quite mine, necessarily, but that I kinda thought I wanted and I’d been told that I’d have to move if I applied for the job and got it. But I had to make the decision that I couldn’t move right now because of my mom situation.

A couple of people here really encouraged me to rethink it, and I appreciated the input, but I just couldn’t do it. And… some recent events have confirmed to me that I made the right decision--just yesterday my mom was formally diagnosed with dementia, and she’s also had several falls recently including one that could have ended much more badly than it did--she cracked her head on the fireplace hearth in the last fall. Bad enough, but could have been much, much worse. Anyway, in retrospect, everything that’s happened with her in the last few weeks have confirmed that I made the right decision to stick around town.

So anyway, after I was told that I’d have to relocate and was out of the running because I couldn’t, another person in that position very unexpectedly quit, meaning that there were now TWO open positions, not one. A few days after that person quit, I got a call that they would let me apply for the position, and despite previously being told I’d have to move, they’d “consider” letting me do the job from where I’m at. I went for the interview and still there seemed to be some hedging along the lines of “we feel pretty confident that we’ll find people here….” I thought the interview went OK (not spectacularly, though, due some pretty serious insomnia the night before), but still didn’t feel confident because of all the signals along the lines of “you’re great, but there are a lot of great people who live in the City that would want to work here” that I kept getting.

So shortening this already long story--got the call today with the job offer. And raise. (And some very nice compliments about my work). So yay! Decent raise, a little more travel, but I get to keep my home base here, at least as long as my mom is still around.

And of course I bought my house, as I mentioned earlier. Haven’t moved in yet, but probably will move Memorial Day weekend. I’ve got a business trip for the new position that may delay that a bit, but it’s nice to not have to rush. But I’ve been spending money like a drunken sailor--got a FABULOUS deal on a dining room set from a friend who’s liquidating her parents’ estate--pristine condition, and while it’s maybe a little dated, it’s super pretty and very high quality, for an amazingly cheap price--$250 for a table, chairs, and china cabinet. But did spend some money on new living room and kitchen furniture. I’ve been slowly packing stuff, and anticipate recouping a little money selling some stuff that I won’t be moving.

I feel really good about everything. Ok, maybe not so great about the depletion of my savings, but I’ll be fine once I get my current house sold (decided to sell--had been thinking about renting). I feel like something has sort of become unclogged. I’ve been a bit ambivalent about my job, and the whole “you gotta move” thing pissed me off a little, because so many people are doing the job or similar jobs remotely. But I’ve also been a little “feet in two worlds,” too--really three worlds between DBF in Texas, here with my mom, and thinking that I’d have to move to that other city in the future. It was nice to close the door on the possible move, and there may be some changes on other fronts as well. I frankly don’t know if DBF will eventually move here or we’ll break up--sorta could go either way, and if it goes to breaking up, I’ll be sad, but that, too, opens some new potential doors. I think it’s going to be great to finally get into a house I absolutely LOVE, in a neighborhood that I LOVE and which feels safe. And it’s closer to my mom. While things are up in the air with my mom right now, it seems pretty clear what the trajectory is, and I’m committed to enjoying the time I have with her as much as I can. I took her to the doctor yesterday, and while that part sucked, the rest of the day--lunch, shopping, good chats--was great.

I’m also working on getting my mom approved for TennCare--Tennessee’s version of Medicaid. Medicare does not pay for in-home care, and TennCare (and Medicaid) does. If we can get approved for some help to come in and aid my mom with showering and some other things, she should be able to stay at home and avoid a nursing home a little longer.

So… I will be working a while longer, but I’d already committed to working as long as my mom is still around. I also have to look after my brother to an extent, so a little extra money in the bank can’t hurt. Right now I’m not feeling like there’s TOO much I’m missing out on by continuing to work--there’s some stuff I’d like to do, most particularly travel, but I think I can do what I want to working around my work, etc. I get quite a bit of vacation time with my company, the benefits are good, and every year I work I contribute toward more money in the pension pot.

It’s great knowing I have the flexibility to leave if/when I really want to, but I don’t think it’s right now. I figure having a new job will give me some new challenges and keep me engaged and interested for a while longer.

And my plantar fasciitis is almost gone, too.

K60

Re: Too Old To Retire "Young"

Post by K60 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Great update. So much good news.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri May 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Nice! So now you get to stay around your family, care for your mother, get the raise without moving to another city, and also get the personal satisfaction of winning the game. And live in a new shiny house no less! Hoping that all of this will make it a little less difficult to take care of your mother.

McTrex

Post by McTrex » Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 am

Congratulations!

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis » Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 am

Wow, talk about a great update! I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis, but very glad that you'll get to enjoy life with her in her twilight years. I think having the ability to be there for your parents when they need it most is another great function of FU money or FI.

Your post has reminded me that I need to email my Grandma and see how she's doing. I try to keep it touch regularly and it's been a minute. My other three grandparents all passed by the time I was in my late teens and if there is one true regret I have it would be not having learned more about their lives. Specifically life during wartime/in the service.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun May 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Wow, new house, new job ... congrats!

Sclass

Post by Sclass » Mon May 13, 2019 7:50 am

Great turn of events. There is a lot to be said about living the life that makes you happy. Good to see the job promotion will give more pay and fulfillment.

Sounds like a good balance.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Thu May 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Just back from a last minute business trip for my new job. Gotta day: it kicked my ass. It’s become very clear I need to improve my nutrition and my fitness level. I’m writing this here so I can remind myself to step it the fuck up!!!

EdithKeeler, remember how shitty you felt marathoning it thru multiple airports? Do you WANT to feel that way? I think not. You know what to do!!

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 am

Before you start exercising and getting in shape or whatever, have you considered accelerating getting out of shape until you are one of those people who get the wheelchair service? Not only do they pushed through the airport, they are a priority passenger getting on and off the plane. Ultimately, you are going to end up there any ways, it seems to me that getting in shape is just an interruption before that which is inevitable occurs. Big deal you can run through an airport. That shit is old. It's not like someone's going to say "Look at that woman running through an airport, let's make a Hertz commercial with her like that guy who murdered his ex-wife after he looked inside her window and saw her going down on her waiter." Running for a plane is for losers. Being pushed while drinking a coffee watching losers run for an airplane now that's what I call winning.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Fri May 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Before you start exercising and getting in shape or whatever, have you considered accelerating getting out of shape until you are one of those people who get the wheelchair service? Not only do they pushed through the airport, they are a priority passenger getting on and off the plane.
I do see your point.... and I’m gonna be honest: in two different airports those dudes on the scooter things stopped and asked me if I needed a ride. I know I was limping a bit from a fractured toe, but damn, that was embarrassing and made me feel fucking OLD and decrepit. It was tempting, though, but my wounded pride wouldn’t let me.

I actually don’t care if I can leap over stuff like OJ (look where that got him anyway), but I don’t want to be the old lady who needs the scooter, either.

Just yet.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri May 17, 2019 1:58 pm

EdithKeeler wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:15 pm
though, but my wounded pride wouldn’t let me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruhFmBrl4GM