Is Atlas Shrugged Worth the Long Read?

Your favorite books and links
JohnnyH

Re: Is Atlas Shrugged Worth the Long Read?

Post by JohnnyH »

Haha, we both get one (or more), right?

The protagonists probably didn't effectively intervene to their fullest ability (I don't think that could be called psychopathic), but it was still the politician who was at fault (at least that's how I read it).

I think the world would be a far less psychopathic (feels like I'm typing this a lot ;) ) place if individuals respected each others' liberty more.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Seneca wrote: The Sierra Club and Earth First! published pamphlets and "Battle Books" that detailed how to sabotage trees and off road use trails in a way that intentionally harmed and killed people who did not agree with their version of environmentalism. And real world people were injured by their actions.

Does that mean environmentalism is "psychopathic", or that broadly defending environmentalism is defending people who wish to injure/kill loggers, lumber mill workers and dirt bike riders?
It would make those who write such pamphlets psychopathic, yes. If you put the logical consistency of your ideology over the suffering and even death of a fellow human being, you need psychological help.

Psychopathic fanatics exist on both sides of the ideological spectum. Those on one side don't justify those on the other side.

I obviously don't support libertarian politics. That's a separate thing that we've been over more than I would have liked. :lol:

Gloating over the death of the children of fictional ideological opponents and treating children as property is a different ballpark, I think.

If you want to have a spokesperson for libertarian politics, I would suggest sticking to Robert Nozick. I am not aware of such nonsense from him.
I think the world would be a far less psychopathic (feels like I'm typing this a lot ;) ) place if individuals respected each others' liberty more.
I like to think of this not in terms of liberty but in terms of compassion. It's a different framework. But I agree with the intention behind that statement.
Last edited by Felix on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Felix wrote:If you put the logical consistency of your ideology over the suffering and even death of a fellow human being, you need psychological help.
Not sure what to say to this... I can think of numerous examples where it is logical, and moral, to kill. :?

Felix

Post by Felix »

This would completely derail the thread. :D

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Felix wrote:
It would make those who write such pamphlets psychopathic, yes. If you put the logical consistency of your ideology over the suffering and even death of a fellow human being, you need psychological help.

Psychopathic fanatics exist on both sides of the ideological spectum. Those on one side don't justify those on the other side.

I obviously don't support libertarian politics. That's a separate thing that we've been over more than I would have liked. :lol:

If you want to have a spokesperson for libertarian politics, I would suggest sticking to Robert Nozick. I am not aware of such nonsense from him.
Rand was NOT libertarian, her philosophy is "objectivist". In fact Rand was, and the ARI is, vehement in their not being libertarian. So of course nobody is suggesting she is the spokesperson for libertarians, except those who might dislike her and libertarians.

Those who conflate the two again yields insights in to the person making the mistake.

It is also amusing the Rand-Greenspan linkage the "haters" love to bring up, particularly as the debacle Greenspan brought upon us was based on interventionist money/interest rate policy...this bunch of bullshit merely serves to keep people reading and talking about Shrugged despite being mediocre.
Last edited by Seneca on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Given the somewhat quoted "give me liberty or give me death" it can be surmised that "life" is not the ultimate value for some, that is, some things are more important [to them] than the right to live.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Those who conflate the two again yields insights in to the beliefs of the person making the mistake.
... like JohnnyH? ;)
2. Got it... Libertarian philosophers and economists are psychopaths for being wary of governments that have demonstratively killed/maimed countless millions in the name of some alleged well intentioned morality.
You can quarrel with him about such semantics. ;-)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

was replying about Rothbard... Not sure why he ended up here.

Felix

Post by Felix »

I thought philosopher referred to Rand and economist referred to Rothbard.

Oh well, then Seneca has nobody left to talk to about this pointless difference that only matters to the special snowflakes at the ARI. :lol:

Feel free to argue about how Rand doesn't support laissez-faire economics. I'm out.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Seneca wrote: It is also amusing the Rand-Greenspan linkage the "haters" love to bring up, particularly as the debacle Greenspan brought upon us was based on interventionist money/interest rate policy...this bunch of bullshit merely serves to keep people reading and talking about Shrugged despite being mediocre.
We didn't have 2008 because someone was moving the interest rate up or down. People took loans they shouldn't have and people gave out loans they shouldn't have. Neither of those have to be because of the interest rate and the people in the first reason probably were clueless on what the interest rate was anyway.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

To derail or not to derail? :lol: I guess it's just a thread about Atlas Shrugged...

EDIT- Interest rates played their part in 2008, but there is no sole cause. If you want to point to a singular cause, it was the popularly supported policy started by Clinton, and furthered by Bush, to increase rates of home ownership.

Lots of choices were made by the voters, the President, Congress, their control of the most regulated banks in America Fannie/Freddie, and the Fed. Greenspan played his part, and he's been held out as the boogeyman, but it was more than him...
Last edited by Seneca on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Seneca wrote:To derail or not to derail? :lol: I guess it's just a thread about Atlas Shrugged...
I was thinking the same thing as my mouse hovered over the submit button. Then I just said, "Screw it."

Felix

Post by Felix »

And here I was trying my best not to derail the thread ... :lol:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Chad wrote:
Seneca wrote:To derail or not to derail? :lol: I guess it's just a thread about Atlas Shrugged...
I was thinking the same thing as my mouse hovered over the submit button. Then I just said, "Screw it."
You can give up the liberal/libertarian debate now--you're all being reclassified as anachists. :P

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Y'all are lucky this hasn't been closed down yet.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Since the thread is apparently dead by now I just want to state for the record that the ideology presented by Rand is very attractive to other psychopaths simply because it provides such a great rationalization for psychopathic behavior.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Uh oh! Flamebait.

Felix

Post by Felix »

:D Just something I forgot to say. Things got sidetracked very fast as usual.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

TIL I am a psychopath. 8-)

Can't wait to have kids so I can starve the life out of them... As is my sacred right!

Felix

Post by Felix »

Those who do think this is fine will find no disagreement from that ideology (and sometimes even support) is what I am saying.