Compromise with LonerMatt

Where are you and where are you going?
LonerMatt

Re: Compromise with LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

It's a complicated situation - love (or potential love) isn't the only draw, I like the country and the people. It's also not as if the girl is demanding I move, but she's made clear that she wants to spend the next few years in Taiwan establishing a career, so it's more about having the ball in my court.

I'm hoping to have 3-6 months between jobs so I can visit and work a few things out, some decisions really can't be made individually very easily.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

What's harder to find, a job you love or a person you love? Personally, I'd put the love interest first if it didn't completely derail your plans. One of the main points of ERE (for me) is being free enough to pursue rare opportunities when they come up, and I would count good relationships among those.

Honestly, I would see it as a bonus that you could pursue your goal of living overseas while pursuing a relationship. I don't see a problem in what you said but an opportunity ... maybe I'm misunderstanding?

takapunch

Post by takapunch »

LonerMatt wrote:It's a complicated situation - love (or potential love) isn't the only draw, I like the country and the people. It's also not as if the girl is demanding I move, but she's made clear that she wants to spend the next few years in Taiwan establishing a career, so it's more about having the ball in my court.

I'm hoping to have 3-6 months between jobs so I can visit and work a few things out, some decisions really can't be made individually very easily.
Ah, then I completely misread the situation. I should have realized the fact that you put it as your last reason showed how much you valued all the other ones. Bonus!
jennypenny wrote:What's harder to find, a job you love or a person you love? Personally, I'd put the love interest first if it didn't completely derail your plans. One of the main points of ERE (for me) is being free enough to pursue rare opportunities when they come up, and I would count good relationships among those.

Honestly, I would see it as a bonus that you could pursue your goal of living overseas while pursuing a relationship. I don't see a problem in what you said but an opportunity ... maybe I'm misunderstanding?
That's an interesting point I hadn't considered about ERE: the more freedom you have, the fewer obstacles there are between you and a good relationship.

I'm wary of placing love over ambition because I've seen many people (including myself) make extremely stupid sacrifices for people who aren't worth it, and that's often because they're blind to just how many amazing people are out there, or are afraid that they aren't good enough to get a new relationship. A truly great lover loves you for who you are, and at the same time, inspires and aids you to become who you could be. Perhaps I'm overly cynical, but I don't see that depth in the overwhelming majority of relationships I encounter. I see many relationships of emotional, sexual or financial convenience and dependence. I can count the mutually inspiring relationships I've known on one or perhaps both hands.

This is certainly related to my age (26), and tons of people in that range are still testing the waters and figuring out what they value in a relationship, but that's all the more reason why I wouldn't make a choice as huge as moving to a different country just for a romantic trial run (not that LonerMatt is).

altoid

Post by altoid »

I was in your position once. One hand is my predictable future, near family and friend with stable employment. The other hand is a strong love interest with someone from another country.

I did pull the plug, and went overseas to give a chance for love. It was not a smooth ride. However, I don't regret for trying. It comes down to your nature. Are you a risk taker ? Do you like adventure? Life is a journey, right? Why not making it more exciting?

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Look guys, I'm pretty fucking romantic, etc. Just roll with it.

;)

I might not move there, obviously there'd be some fairly serious visiting/talking. At the moment it looks like I'd have 6-7 months to decide where to reside, so that's a nice cushion.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Alright, expenses and finances for the month of April.

Income: $4004
Expenditure: $1601
Savings rate: 60%
Daily spend: $53

This was a big improvement, I managed to spend $600 less than in March, and a similar amount to February. The spending was still higher than I'd like as I was on holiday for 10 days or so, and seeing friends, eating out, etc. On the flip side, expenses while I've been living at home were MUCH lower than usual.

I'm aiming for spending no more than $1500 a month - which is definitely achievable - even with rent and $100 for groceries (my average grocery spend per week would be about $75) - that would still be around $950 per month, so there's a lot of leeway.

So, in May, I'm aiming for a savings rate of around 65% - which is definitely doable (not least because May is a 3 paycheck month, but also because I'm feeling really in control of my spending).

Assets this month:
Cash - $13106
Stocks $19773
Bonds - $16209
Other - $6000
Total: $55088

Net worth up little more than $2k (ie, not much more than I saved with $$). I probably need to allocate more money to stocks, but I'm not sure how much I am going to need when this current contract finishes up, so I'm thinking through that scenario. I might just save straight into cash and leave my investing alone until I start a new job sometime next year, although with my current savings rate I'd have $17500 + $12000 now = 29000 (which is about 2 years of expenses, so I'm sure I should invest SOME of that).

I'm really relishing the sense of control and direction I have with my spending right now, in previous months I've shared that it's been a battle to not spend stupid amounts of money on things, but with a sense of re-invigoration that's coming from wanting to take time off and start again, it's easier to ignore the trappings of boredom and the doldrums.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

May was a pretty hectic month in many ways. After deciding to take half of next year off (at minimum), I suddenly found myself enjoying my job a lot more and enjoying my social life a lot more. I made more friends, and had a pretty great time all round. Ironic, but pretty cool.

I kept speaking Mandarin, which was pretty fun and I now am fairly certain if I was to go live in a Chinese-speaking community/country for sometime I'd definitely be able to learn a lot and speak passably. This is something I've always wanted to do (speak another language) and I'm really, really chuffed it's finally happening.

There were a few pretty interesting ideas that I was taken with this month.

First, I re-read Jacob's post on personality type. At the start of my time here, I considered myself typical INTJ Rational type. I'm not really sure why, after actually looking at these concepts properly, it's pretty obvious I'm what's described as an Artisan/Idealist (it's a scale, not an absolute, IIRC). The post here (http://earlyretirementextreme.com/every ... ained.html) was very useful. One of the best parts about this community is how people are collectively working to understand themselves and progress their own agenda, whatever that is.

Second, I was browsing one of the more popular travel nomad (btw, this seems like a tautology, sloppy writing, nomads) sites (the name of which I can't remember because it was so pithy and repetitive I just decided to make room in my brain for something useful). In any case, the website actually had an article in which there was an offhand comment about habits being much more powerful than choices/deliberate action. I've found this a really useful guiding principle. I've been struggling to actually have an exercise routine, but I've finally worked out how to help myself form a habit and have been working out a lot more and continued to lose weight.

Thirdly, another thanks to Jacob, who posted about different types of learners. He was discussing concept vs concrete learning (might have been a footnote, can't find it now) and I found this incredibly elucidating. I realised that I don't really follow steps, manuals or instructions, and prefer principles, concepts and ideas. In light of this, I'm actually thinking about how I teach, and how a lot of what I do is more conceptual, and that the reason some students are probably struggling is because they need steps, which I've subconsciously considered an inferior version of concepts.

It was a really good month. I'm enjoying my life a lot now: I'm learning, I'm improving, I'm smiling a lot, and I'm enjoying almost everything I'm doing.

Finances:
Spending: $1846
Income: $6022
Savings rate: 69%
Av. savings rate: 57%

I had some unexpected spending this month that pushed my spending up: two pairs of my shoes broke, so I had to buy $250 worth of new shoes (sneakers are not really repairable or resole-able) and electricity and water bills (totally another $200 odd) came in. However, in a rare 3 paycheck month savings rate was artificially heightened.

June's my best opportunity to try for $1500 spending - I still haven't done it. Each time I get close I either visit friends and family in Melbourne (which is at least $200 spent on food, train tickets, etc), bills come up, or a I purchase something like shoes/clothes.

I'm still happier I'm tracking and conscious of my spending - and I'll continue to save more aggressively I think!

Investments:
Cash
$15219

Stocks
$20050

Bonds
$16458

Other
$6000

Net-worth:
$57727

I want to start tracking net worth, as it's something I've just been casually looking at when I write my journal. I don't know what I'll learn, gain or gleam from tracking it monthly, but it'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm carrying a large amount of cash at the money because I'm not really sure about how much I'll use next year, so I'm preferring the liquid asset (I also get about $60-100 per month in interest), however I should invest maybe $5000-10000 or so into stocks in the near future).

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

At work at the moment they are trying to get me to stay on further (2-3 more years). It's incredibly flattering, and I'm questioning whether it's worth it. They're offering me a position doing the sort of work I really relish and enjoy (designing learning programs in a small team that's dedicated to an important but manageable are) - this is the sort of thing that one usually needs to be at a school for some time before opportunities crop up.

I'm on good terms with everyone, really, and my life is pretty awesome. I'm terrible at sticking to decisions, and my idea to go travel and work overseas is, I don't know, undulating. When I'm on holidays from work I always decide it's what I definitely want, when I've been back at work awhile it seems banal and silly.

On the other hand, staying in an area just because of work seems shallow. The other things I'm enjoying in my life (good friends, beautiful scenery, fitness, balance, etc) would probably come up nearly anywhere I worked or lived.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Well, it sounds like you have a tough decision to make. This is not a bad thing at all. This is much better than having the decision made for you, but it probably doesn't feel that way right now.

Staying would only be shallow if you did it because you thought you "should" stay. If you stay because you want to stay, then you made a conscious decision to choose the direction of your life. That is never shallow.

I have used this quote on here before, but I love it. It's very apt when it comes to major expected or unexpected life changes.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

June was a good month.

I sorted a few things out in my personal life, and basically have three things I need to get organised sooner rather than later.
1. Working out where I'm going next year
2. Working out whether I want international school job or a job working in a public school internationally
3. Deciding whether travel hacking is effective as an Australian

1. Where to go

The world's pretty excellent, there's no shortage of amazing places to visit and I've had about a million different ideas. At the moment I'm thinking: India>Turkey>Iran>Italy>Morocco>US for about 1-1.5 months each. However, one thing I've always been pained by is that I'll visit somewhere, having already booked a flight out and just not really want to leave at that tie (either too long, or not long enough).

Time and options are the ultimate luxury, so I'm considering booking a one way flight and just taking it from there. Cliche, I suppose, but with the exception of a few countries, my passports let me in anywhere for at least 2 weeks, if not more (Iran's the strictest, and Australians get a 2 week visa on arrival, India and China are more strict, but also much easier to deal with - embassies are hyper streamlined here).

I'm also tempted just to see what other people are doing and go with it. Like if someone wants to hike the Appalachian trail that'd be pretty cool, there's lots of things I'd not do on my own that I'd be happy to team up with a stranger and have a crack at. No idea how to get started there.

I want to decide soon, as tickets will start slowly rising in price about now, so it'd be worth just buying one in the next 3-4 weeks to be thrifty.

2. Jobs

Having worked neither OS or in an international school it's a bit of speculation. The advantage of working in a public school is exposure, some real challenge (may be the only foreigner there) and some real culture shock. The advantage of working in an international school is avoiding the culture shock/language and experiencing those in smaller doses. I think you guys can tell from my language what I think would be more challenging, and I think a challenge would be appropriate.

At the moment I'm thinking of Shanghai, Beijing or Korea. All are very globalised, but extremely different from where I live now (monocultural, white, 'strayla). If successful, that'd give me 6-9 months travel. There is also one school in the UK I'm very interested in working for - it'd be difficult to get a job there, but I'd like to try.

Kaminoge has been incredibly helpful, but I think a large part of this is my thought process in making an uninformed choice (relative to the information I'd have about a domestic job). Really, I just need to get on with it.

3. Travel Hacking

This is popular in the US, and it seems a pretty good deal. Here there are really just two FF programs - Virgin's and Qantas. Qantas is more simply, Virgin's more complex. Neither are particularly generous (20,000 mile sign up for Qantas, compared to the 50-100k mile in the US). I don't know if it's worth getting involved.

It'd be nice, to get free flights, etc. But at the same time, I can get a Qantas ticket that lets me fly 22 flights in a calendar year in 3 continents for about $5000 - which is less than I'd have to spend to actually make using CC worth it.

I could use my US passport and a not-where-I-actually-live address, but I'd still need to spend money to get the miles. Does spending more mean that I'd, like, actually save money in the long term? I don't have the information, insight, time or motivation to actually find out. Most websites I've looked into are either optimistically vague, or frustratingly jingoistic.

Spending:
$1497 for the month
$2436 saved
Monthly Savings %: 61%
Yearly: 58%

I'm doing a great job of keeping on top of spending. I think this month that might not be as successful. We shall see.

Networth: $60007

Cool! It's nice to know that if I was continuing to work and save like this I'd hit about 100K this time next year, if not sooner. I'm not one of these Australian savings machines that are already in the multiple 100k after discovering MMM a year a go, but I'm pleased with my progress. At the moment I have about 3-4 years of expenses saved.

However, I'm not really motivated by my networth, or even by FI. I've always used the MMM/ERE concepts to make better choices, but I do not know if the FI/quit work path is something I find particularly attractive right now. I certainly think the questioning, decision making and priorities of that this aim gives us are incredibly valuable and insightful, the path is the best I can find, but I'm not sure the end point is much for me right now.

I got asked to stay on at my job again. I refused again. My resolve = sorted.

Muscles are getting stronger and bigger. My diet wasn't perfect, and the last two weeks have been atrocious. I want to really make eating well a priority and a habit by the end of the year.

Romance was interesting this month. I spent a few weeks fairly heartbroken, but the leading up romance was incredibly exciting. Onwards and upwards. Love is just so great.

Hope your month was exciting and cool,

LM.

BattlaP

Post by BattlaP »

LonerMatt wrote:I can get a Qantas ticket that lets me fly 22 flights in a calendar year in 3 continents for about $5000
What sort of ticket is this? That sounds like an absurdly good deal.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airline ... orld/au/en

A friend told me about this - on the website it doesn't seem to differ much from a usual RTW ticket, but he insisted he bought an open ticket through Qantas. I'd have to ring them to be sure that's exactly what's still on offer.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Hey!

A few things happened in the past two or so weeks that have really got me thinking about a lot of choices and plans I had.

When I started this journal, my idea was to work hard, save, invest well, and at a point be able to leave my country and life and travel long-term for awhile. As this year progressed, I became a bit despondent about my job, and shifted my plans to taking a year off. The change in plans was largely due to my blerghness about my work.

However, for whatever reason (still working out why), I was watching a TED talk (and I usually don't watch these) and realised why I'm not liking my current job. When I got into teaching, I did it through a backdoor, difficult, strenuous route. I'd had no experience, no teaching qualification, and taught in one of the poorest schools in my state (drug dealers at school, 75% of families below minimum wage, refugee children, etc). I love it. It was hard work, it was good work, I had to learn a lot, be a better person and a better educator each week to do my job.

For a few reasons, I left that school last year and moved to this area. It's much more middle class, much more straightforward. My job is basically 'teach classes' - which I do and I do well (students in my classes typically experience 2-2.5x standard learning growth across any given time period). It's also tremendously easy, and not really what inspired me to go into a difficult field. I've got capacity, but I'm a bit bored.

With something so shockingly simple, I realised that my issue with my job (and hence my desire to go do something I liked - travel), would be much more sensibly solved through doing something difficult and ambitious in education. Luckily, I've got a good network.

To cut a shorter story short, I'm talking with a few people at the moment about the following jobs:
- Working in remote Australia (Tennant Creek/Elcho Island)
- Working in a prison-school (Melbourne/Alice Springs)
- Working in a Detention Centre (Nauru)
- Working with school-aged students in the foster/child support system (Melbourne/rural Victoria)

I'm also exploring a few other possibilities as well, nothing's conclusive, and it's early days. I can't really explain what a weight off my shoulders it was realising that I didn't hate work, and that I am just not really doing the sort of work that I want to. I'm lucky because I also have the perspective which means I can find environments that suit me a bit better.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I want to (again) do something ridiculously demanding - because it makes me feel valued, important, needed and worthwhile - and I like those feelings and I like being the sort of person doing work that means I can feel this way.

If I'm able to create, craft or arrange a life I don't want to escape from then that'd just be great.

BattlaP

Post by BattlaP »

There's also massive financial incentives to teaching in remote areas, so this could be a case where you could have your cake and eat it too.. Work the job you love, and build the stash for the future. Sounds like a positive direction!

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Ok, viewers, fans, hangers on, friends, readers, lurkers and random others who as miscellaneous. I am ready to update you regarding my life, as it occurred to me, in July, 2014.

A few things have happened that are worth mentioning:
1. I still have no idea what job I'll be doing next year

My job still is happy for me to stay, and I'm considering it. The next job I take, I'd like to stay in that area/position for 2-3 years, just to get some routine and solid standing. So, basically, I have to work out whether I'd be as happy here as I would starting somewhere new. In short, I believe I'd be more happy in a variety of locations assuming I can:
a) Get the sort of work that empowers and inspires me (working with tough kids, succeeding, being pastoral, etc, doesn't happen so much here)
b) Work with a staff that I get along well with (happens here)
c) Work in a location with the sorts of things I love: beauty, good food, interesting scene (I got the first two, but not the last one here)

So, I guess I'd be OK here for another year, but not longer. So I'm job hunting. The type of work that I really want to do is incredibly rare to find here - I'd love to work in an environment that deals with completely disengaged students - some I've mentioned in previous posts (foster system, prison schools, etc) - these are jobs that do not come up regularly, as the teachers that work them are usually very cognizant of what they are in for and are committed. This is something I'm working towards, and have accepted probably will not happen next year, hence the desire to work with tricky kids so that I'm improving my skills and employability for those roles.

Currently, I'm considering either a move back to Melbourne, or a move to Perth (Western Australia seems cool, the pay is high and it'd be a bit of an adventure, Melbourne would be comfortable and easy living, with friends and family very close).

I'm sure you're all sick of my mid-20s career pap, so I'll inform you as shit gets real. I have just updated my cover letter and resume, applications start over the weekend. Let's see what happens.

I continued to lose weight and gain muscle this month. I'm really, really, really happy with my dieting and progress in reducing how often I eat shit food. I'm down to a 'perfect' (for me) diet 5 days a week, a cheat day, and a day were I have the odd bit of chocolate. This seems to be working, but I'd like to have the self control to only have a cheat day.

I'm also going to purchase a 24kg kettlebell soon: it's time to PUSH THE FUCKING ENVELOPE. My only issue is I have about 10-15 minutes of stamina/interest in weights after work, so I do 10-15 minutes Mon-Thurs - hence the thinking around getting a heavier weight. I've had my 16kg almost a year, so $70 for a year's worth of muscle building, fat burning domination is, by my standards, a realllllll bargain.

I'm buying a website name this weekend. I really have liked a few of the blogs I've been reading lately, and just like with photography, I'm hoping to use a public platform as a way to improve my skills. I'll be blogging about things I do to improve myself - and the blog will be an open example of that. It's meta, it's bold, it's deep and it's pretty much like a few other people's blogs. Get read for #blogseptember.

I found a group of guys to jimmy jam with here in town, so I'll be playing a lot more music soon. I am KEEN.

Let's talk finances:
Total income: $4842
Total spending: $2334
Total saving: $2508
Savings rate: 51%
Average this year: 57%

I'll be honest: I overspent this month. Since I decided not to take a year off, I decided to try something a bit whacky and un-FI. I pre-ordered some very expensive, but beautiful, designer clothes. Yeah, it's not the best choice for frugality. No, I don't think it's something I'll do all the time, but it is something I've wanted to do for awhile. I thought hard, I wondered, and I figured what the hell - let's give this a whirl. I like clothes, I love them. I can generally be very frugal, but I think buying one great outfit a year is a very manageable habit to have. I know others don't get it, don't care for it, and think it's vain and shallow (it is), but whatever. I can live with a few of my flaws.

Thanks to my tax return, though, and selling some gadgets, I still saved a total amount of money I wanted to ($2500 a month). Win. Win. Love it.

Which brings us to investing and networth:
%
Cash 20059 31.84
Stocks 20431 32.43
Bonds 16502 26.20
Other 6000 9.53
Total 62992
% increase this month 1.05

I'm investing some of that cash soon - I think I'll drop $10-15k or so in stocks. I think 2/3 international, 1/3 Australian. Got an opinion? Tell me it. Explain your passions.

Deciding which international traveling experience I want to have over summer. I think I'm visiting a friend in Africa Easter next year, so I'm thinking Turkey, Europe, America, or most countries in the world. Choice is just great and terrible. Got an opinion? Explain it! Going on some excellent trip and want me along - tell me, and I'll be there.

I'm great right now. I hope you are too.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

You never know.
I have a friend who decided to marry when well into his 40's. He researched and found data that American male with Asian female had a much higher chance of successfujl union.

Through some matchmaker service, He traveled to Philippine Islands (I think) to meet Railinn. Married her and last time I saw him with his child, things were going well

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Hey beloved readers.

This has been an interesting month: I spent a lot of money and my savings rate was terrible, but I spent a lot of time reflecting and wondering if I care about that. To a large extent, I'm unsure.

I'm unsure how to really start explaining myself. When I bought something, I would often umm and ahh, but after I bought it I was often excited. None of these things are superfluous, or random: they are all a part of my life that I value and love. None of the purchase I regret on reflection. So, in those ways, there's no problems. I have no dependents, I still saved, I've done well this year (though not well the past two months, let's be honest), so why do I feel like defending myself?

Well, I suppose this website is anti-consumerist and I, to a large extent, identify with that. Given that, looking at the numbers, I've had a more spendy month (on top of another more spendy month) I do feel a sense of shame: I could have delayed several purchases, opted out, substituted, or done without. I wonder if doing so would have affected my quality of life - and I doubt it. THe trip to Indonesia is probably the only thing that if I hadn't have bought my life wouldn't have been as good.

For example, my lens isn't really that different from another lens I have. While there are differences, they aren't really important to my photography at the moment - maybe that'll change later, but for the moment it seems like I have a $50 lens and a $200 lens that perform (in my hands) the same (the $50 was second hand too, and is actually better than the $200, just outdated).

Additionally, when I picture how I'd like to live, there are material differences - I'd like to live alone, I'd like to have quality (which does cost more) in the areas that matter. What I'm trying to do at the moment is build habits so that I can have that and save really well. I don't always get it right. This journal is about compromise - as long as I'm moving in the right direction and learning to do that better and better I'm happy.

So, on the balance of things, I don't feel a regret or anything too emotional, but I'm wondering a lot about how I make choices and whether that's optimal.

I also started the Australian Investing thread, and I'm considering switching to the Vanguard fund that is 70% stocks and 30% bonds that automatically re-adjusts, and I can just add $1000 a month or whatever into that. I think this might end up being better for me as I invest in chunks (and put it off) rather than constantly.

Now, non-money life has been excellent. I'm really enjoying my work at the moment, have sent off a lot of applications for jobs next year (no interviews yet, but the hiring season's just started), my friends are great, I've been on some dates, have a few more lined up, am eating well, exercising a lot, and really feeling quite content, happy and in control.

I remember something Jacob on ERE said/wrote that basically said "when I'm happy, I don't spend money, there's nothing else I want" - I'm the opposite - when I'm happy I don't wonder about the future and the reasoning behind having a solid financial base so I spend more. When I'm miserable I think about the connection between finance and freedom and am more austere in my spending.

Since I aim to be happy this is a bit fucked really, isn't it? Anyway, I've reworked my budget for the year and am confident I can get back to $1500 a month for the rest of the year. After securing a job for next year, I think I'll just automatically withdraw 50% of my earnings into savings and then not worry about spending the rest.

Earned: $3900
Spent: $2829
Saved: $1071
Savings Rate: 27%
Net worth: $64211
% growth: 1.02

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Righto, there's a lot to say this month: it was turbulent.

Let's start with expenses and then move on:

Earned: $4188
Spent: $2362
Saved: $1825
Savings Rate: 43%
Net worth: $66009
% growth: 1.03

Saved more than August, which is good. Spending is higher than my aim, but I don't really care (more below).

August was a hectic month, I want to talk about two or three main things that happened.

First, I went to Indonesia. It was OK - I wouldn't go back. THere were some cool things to see and eat, but it wasn't spectacular, very interesting or even very worthwhile. I spend about $1000 total for flights and expenses and, really, I don't know if it was worth it. I spent several days wondering why I bothered leaving Australia - and had some good times too. I'm unsure where this leaves me: I've enjoyed traveling very much, but am thinking maybe I'll just travel domestically for awhile now - there's still so much of Australia I haven't seen.

That being said I'd still love to visit friends in Taiwan and China, see Iran, and eat in Turkey. So there's dreams and fantasies there, maybe I'm just burned out on SE Asia (after awhile it all seems the same).

Second, I'm continuing to go on dates with more girls. Most of these are awkward and boring and I kind of think to myself "if we're going to sleep together can we go and do that now, otherwise I want to go home and play video games'. But yesterday I had a great time with a new girl, bought her dinner, spent a lot of time together and are meeting up soon. It's hard because I live 3 hours away and I'm keen to move back to the city.

This will inflate my expenses somewhat over the next 2-3 months - I'll be coming back more often, I'll be doing more things.

Three, from July to now I've been a bit of a consumerist: I've bought more clothes, I've bought more stationary, I've bought more petrol and more food and, you know what, I'm OK with that. I'm having a good time (mostly) and I never spend more than I have. As I reflect more and more on what's important to me (through my daily journal which is awesome and everyone should have one), I'm finding that it's not savings, savings rates, or efficient spending that excites me (they don't, even if they are all incredibly valuable), but connectedness, purpose, art, etc.

I am overspending, for sure, and I'm not proud, but I just can't bring myself to care overly right now. Which makes MMM and ERE weird places to hang out. I still really enjoy the personalities and debates, but the ethos is not really doing it for me right now (and reading 1 million posts about people obsessing over money is tiring and a bit blergh).

Fourth, peak hiring period is on us. I know what I want in a job and I'm out to get it. There was one I wanted, and didn't quite get, but 80% of jobs for 2015 are advertised in Oct/Nov 2014, so LET'S FUCKING DO THIS.

Finally, I'm pursuing some more investment opportunities - a friend of mine recently started a new business and is looking for investors with a minimum of 25k buy in - I'm looking at the info and think it might be a good choice (it's also in the US, so a falling AUD means extra profit and gains).

Life is good, spring is beautiful, the women in sundresses and shorts make like truly wondrous and, at the moment, I admire more and more people who are poor and satisfied, rather than those who saved a lot and over engineer every aspect of their lives. I expect that'll change sometime in the future, I'm just too inconsistent to be a model MMM/ERE brother.

:)

anomie

Post by anomie »

Hi LonerMatt,
If I you don't mind comment in your journal .. (I can delete if so)...

- I have heard great things about keeping a daily journal. It is something I hope to begin doing at some point.

- Basic financial advice would prohibit anyone from investing 37% of their net worth in one investment. (you say a 25k investment; you state a 66k net worth..) Be prepared to lose it all.. I 've had friends who rehab homes and wanted me to put up capital , they do work, we split profits, etc.. and have passed on that . I think it was right thing to do at the time.

Anyhow, nice to read of your contentment!

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Thanks for your perspective! The investment would possibly be too much exposure (as I'd have to basically drop to $0 cash to buy in).