Lifehacker: What I Learned from a Six Month Spending Freeze

Your favorite books and links
henrik

Lifehacker: What I Learned from a Six Month Spending Freeze

Post by henrik »

My inclination towards purchasing and distraction are directly correlated with a deficiency in my emotional well-being: aka, I have been self-medicating. My purchasing has not been meaningless. It has a cause and an effect. The cause is the set of emotions that are felt due to stressors and variables felt in my life. The effect is that I am unable to deal with the cause because I am not aware of it due to the fullness of my mind in relation to purchasing. The emotional impulses are not satisfied, they are simply brushed aside.
http://lifehacker.com/what-i-learned-fr ... 1496191624

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Lifehacker: What I Learned from a Six Month Spending Fre

Post by jacob »

I agree with the quote. I can directly correlate my emotional well-being by the amount of CDs or other crap I buy. These days I can go several months without buying anything. This is interrupted by a single months where I buy 1-2-3-4-5 different things. Then nothing again for many months.

In the beginning of "my journey" (in 2001) I went a year without spending anything on myself other than buying a few books. Still being an otherwise incompetent consumer and not knowing other solutions than "buying", I "struggled". It sucked! I do kinda emphasize with consumers when they say they struggle with frugality, but I also realize that the problem is incompetence in the face of the unfamiliar, not so much an actual hardship. As I developed other hobbies (than reading consumer reports and comparative shopping) and learned how to DIY and find deals at thrift stores living got a lot better.

PS: One funny observation. I'm inclined to try to minimize my possessions whenever I feel stressed. Beats eating ice cream or buying a new TV ;-)

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

This behavior can be satisfying without spending. I find that researching and finding things can be interesting and then just save the result of the search. Wait a few months before buying. Usually by then I find I don't need/want the item.

Still a waste of time, though.

Obsessing on stuff can also work in reverse like Jacob says. Minimal packing lists, itemizing possessions to see which ones can be chucked.

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

what i learned was i could substitute that needing to buy things with accomplishing things.

i just keep a pile of used books around and usually by the time i finish the next book, i have realized i really didnt need that thing that i really wanted a week ago.