Saving 10 years (exploring retirement) journal

Where are you and where are you going?
saving-10-years

Re: Saving 10 years (near the end) journal

Post by saving-10-years »

@DutchGirl - Thanks and hope the meeting with your supervisors goes/went well.

@Storapa - Would be great to catch up with you and LM. Really enjoying our rental renovation project. I know its about business but it feels fun. :-)
We're not as close as you guys though.
Ahem. You're not nearly as old as us.

Happy for meet up for cake. Aways happy to meet up for cake ...

saving-10-years

It happened. I retired today. There was a presentation so some nice gifts and a mega-Orchid (the kind that I would never spend money on being a frugal sort). Some tears but managed to get through the day with dignity mostly intact. (I hate leaving presentations and usually avoid them, have been known to run out the building to avoid but this one was planned with considerable stealth and quite a bit of effort).

Tomorrow I plan to spend the day with sister (visiting from Portugal) and mother doing whatever we like. Not only working but not on holiday from work. No checking of email will occur for at least 24 hours.

Other exciting news is that our letting property is now ready to go on the market. The journey begins ...

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Congratulations, and bon voyage!

rube

Post by rube »

Nice!
And a new journey begins.
Please keep writing.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Congrats!

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Excellent!

saving-10-years

Thank you to George (the original one), The Animal, Rube, Storapa and DutchGirl for dropping by with congratulations. The deed is done and I retired last week. Its been the best week for years. :-) Lots of things happening to and around me that I feel I would not have found time for if I had still been working full-time (or even part-time in any conventional role). So far I have been discovering all sorts of things about the local town and I am really happy with the progress on my retirement projects.

On Sunday it felt _very_ weird doing food shopping and not thinking about what I might need to take as a packed lunch. No more packed lunch. :-)

So this journal now becomes about what retirement might be like at 57 and with all the time in the world and no need to make an income to support us. @JennyPenny talked about getting her mojo back this year and I feel that I have noticeably more spring in my step now and a lot more energy. I'm back to being a little hyper (which used to be my normal state). It seems that it was not age slowing me down after all.

It helps that I have been more phyically active in my new 'working' life than I had become in the old one. The property is almost ready for occupation. We went to town on preparing it (not money but time spent getting things clean and remaking the kitchen using 'as new' cabinets from eBay. The letting agent was a little startled but rallied and upped his estimate of its value by £25/month and it let to the second person who viewed (on first evening of viewings). We need to tidy the garden - aiming to make it a place that someone will be proud to live in and take care of (and keeping fingers crossed that this will work). Its been a good experience to 'inhabit' a mich smaller space than we are used to. This house is maybe 1/3 of the living size of our home and one of our aspirations is to retire into this sort of size place when we get older. Its also 5 mins walk to the library, centre of town for markets etc. and definitely walkable to the mainline train station (1.5 miles). DS would definitely not like to downsize or move to town (this is the only house he has ever lived in and its a pretty special space) but I reckon DH would move tomorrow if he could.

I have also been offered another job. Day 2 of retirement and someone from son's school suggested that I might step in as an exam invigilator. This seems to involve time spent walking and thinking (mainly) while being paid. Not much money but I see this as being part of my retirement plan (learn to do new things). On which front I am in the process of learning to grout tiles. I think I am passable so far at this.

Unless we find another property that we really like the next plan is to renovate the smaller barn as our crafts space. @Storapa, LM may be interested in this project so plan a return visit in the summer.

I feel that I am enjoying and even more savouring life now. (Confession is that I still have some projects from past working life which I am ticking off my To Do list. One is a special issue of a journal with past students. One is an edited book which is being published in July. I also have to untangle my online profiles so that they reflect where I am (wish to be) rather than where I was. So nothing actually paid - surely the retirement police would not object?)

My workplace online profile is now disappeared and it recorded me for a few days as 'Person not found :-/' which is ironic as this person feels that she is now finding herself ;-) (Yes, that was a bit cheesy wasn't it).

Will post sums next time. I plan to have more time to keep better financial records in future than in the past and I will be curious about how the reduced income covers costs.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Congratulations! Thanks for the new word (invigilator).

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Congratulations on the retirement! Do keep us posted on your "doings,"

Aus_E_Expat

Post by Aus_E_Expat »

Saving - great stuff. You obviously seem relaxed and contented.

Do you have children? If so, are you still supporting them?

I think having children I support is something holding me back from breaking free.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Congratulations and best of luck with your new life!

I hope to hear more about what it's like on other side!

saving-10-years

@Aus_W-Expat We have a son (17) and DH has not brought in a wage for 3 years. But son is about to hit his university years (student debt is rather a new concept in the UK, sometime I will share my thoughts on this ;-)). Having only one child and this one one who can read and understand spreadsheets is helpful :-)

@Spoonman - been thinking about you and others who plan to (or have) retired as a couple. I think this is working so well because I have a playmate. In fact one who has been waiting for a year now for me to catch up. It was our anniversary yesterday and we went with son and my Mum to watch Lego:The Movie in the afternoon after school. It was nearly half the price that it would normally be if going at a weekend and we had the whole room to ourselves. Could not have done that before retirement. I think having someone to play with is key to me retiring - makes things easier and gives me someone to talk to who really understands.

@Gilberto - you are welcome. I understand I need to wear non-noisy shoes (stealth shoes).

@Edith - I will :-) and I will be busy reading here too. Might even catch up on the book club book (which I have not made headway with yet because life has been a tad too exciting).

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

great story "saving 10 years", and good luck with next steps. Are you considering choosing a new Country, warm climate, etc...?

saving-10-years

@Hankaroundtheworld - I know you have spent a lot of time travelling and plan to do yet more in retirement. For me spending time at home is what I plan to do in retirement. :-) But radically changing what I do here. I have often worked at home before but my DH says that I was here 'but only physically'. My brain was elsewhere so I was no sort of companion at all.

Son plans to take a gap year before university and we have tentative plans that all three of us will go on an around the world roadtrip (or equivalent) lasting at least two months in late 2015. It will be great to spend some time adventuring together before he leaves for University. We could not even contemplate it if I were still working. At best we might travel with enormous compromises in the planning (not enough time for research), spending (i.e. not best value for money or most sensible use) and duration (crammed into work holiday periods and knowing me online even when away).

Of course in 18 months he may have totally different ideas of what he wants to do with his time.

Storapa

Post by Storapa »

Hi there Guys,

The new craft space sounds very interesting. We might drop by on the tandem now that the weather has improved.

We are busy building LM a new shed for her printing press. Next week is going to be busy with this one.

Well done with the rental. Sounds like you are well in your way.

BM

saving-10-years

@storapa - you would be welcome and would love to see the tandem. Perhaps need to give us a month (late May) to have made some discernable progress? Tenant moves in tomorrow so we have been doing all manner of fine tuning of that property and this one is being neglected for now.

saving-10-years

I've been busier reading other people's journals than writing in my own ... but @1taskaday pointed me at the Simple Living in Suffolk blog http://simple-living-in-suffolk.co.uk/ and so I've also been reading posts by someone called Ermine. I can find quite a bit to like about his attitude. He, like us, lives in a nice spot but for the past 20 years has been sleepwalking around in it because of work commitments. He refers to this quote by Henry Thoreau which is definitely one to keep in mind for my own retirement:

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately
I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life
to put to rout all that was not life,
and not, when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived.”

In recent posts Ermine talks about house prices, obsession with getting onto the house-buying ladder and interest rates. He mentions that he got caught out when he bought his house in 1989 and one of the things that caused significant woe was his opting for an Endowment Mortgage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_mortgage. In this plan you paid interest only and bought an insurance policy which when it matured would pay for the house. And give you some extra. This rings a bell with me as DH and I bought our first home in 1982 and the Endowment was the mortgage that was being pushed. Most people we knew opted for this. The potential to not only pay off your home but to have a little punt so that (as they made it sound) you would come out with a bonus at the end sounded too good to be true. To us anyway and we went for the predictable repayment mortgage instead.

We also did not remortgage for a new long term when we moved house in 1992 preferring to continue with the c.10 year balance on the existing mortgage term. This was also pretty counter to what others did (i.e. not taking advantage of the captital that was 'locked up' in our home). Not a decision informed by any thought about retiring in our 50s, but because we liked the idea of no mortgage by our 50s. It has meant that since we paid off (or were within a few years of paying off) I have been able to change job to one I wanted to do (but paid far less), and when DH was made redundant (both times) we did not have to worry about meeting the mortgage payment from a single salary.

Now we are in the Buy To Let game as newbie landlords and we are flouting advice again. We've noticed something that disturbs us in the current advice, as with the Endowment deal in the 1980s. We have no mortgage on our rental property, which means that we can't claim back tax relief on the interest paid on that mortgage. Which is pretty significant, as most BTL landloards bank on a significant gain in claiming back the maximum amount of tax relief on interest. They do this by arranging interest-only mortgages where 0% of their payment is directed at actually buying the house.

Like leasing a car I suppose. You pay for the cost of borrowing the money to buy the house (effectively you pay for the cost of using the house, but are not paying off the capital). At the end of the term you don't own the house yet, but as long as its worth more than it was when you took out the loan you can simply sell, pay the bank and pocket the difference. Or remortgage. If we were high tax payers in work then I suppose that we might be tempted to do the maths and see whether we could come out ahead. But as we are low-income (aka frugal) retirees its not so tempting. We are also well aware that a) governments can change the tax relief arrangements on mortgages, b) interest rates can go up - in fact as they currently stand they cannot go down!, c) house prices can fall. This is pushed to extremes by also being able to 'afford' a more expensive property if you are on an interest-only mortgage (lower monthly payments) than you would be if you were paying down the capital. It also raises a query on whether you will be a high-rate taxpayer for the whole of the term of the mortgage (by my calculations the extra interest just about equals the extra amount that you can claim back from tax by going interest-only). 25 years is a long time and this mortgage looks like a set of handcuffs that anyone looking at retirement early will not want to put on. See also a) above.

Once again we are not following the advice that our peers are suggesting is the sensible option. It just does not _feel_ right. Its worrying that so many BTL landlords we know find it a tempting and sensible approach. Are we missing something here?

saving-10-years

Today is one month since I retired. Life is different already - than it was and also than I expected. Rental property is sorted and let. I am catching up on 'life admin' (mainly paperwork) which does not sound exciting but it is really is nice to make in-roads into some of the clutter that previously overwhelmed. I have my little paid-exercise walking gig as an examiner happening from mid-June and intend to use a pedometer to keep track of the exercise.

Objectives this month:

1) Get a much better understanding of where the money goes and in more detail. Perhaps post a figure or at least percent or two on here at end of May.
2) Eat stored food more effectively and reduce what we store needlessly. We have two freezers on the go at the moment and reducing to one will save electricity (esp over summer) and mean that we are not storing food for too long. (Remember that we have the better part of three sheep (aka mutton galore) in there so its not quite as bad as it sounds, but a bit of planning around food buying would be better.
3) Sow what we can so that we have something edible growing and ready to harvest by summer. By end of May I am hoping that the polytunnel is populated and more raised beds occupied. Starting very late, so having to be strategic about what we sow.
4) Remove/Recycle from my office all those things that I don't need anymore. Another severing of links and a new ID for my office.
5) Get fitter (see above - and Yes I know that this hardly compares with other fitness regimes on here but I am a LONG way from fit currently).

I will try and set 5 targets in different areas for each month.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Enjoying your journal.

I would definitely ignore the interest only mortgage to finance rental property. Go with your gut like you did before regarding the endowment mortgage. I thought "leverage, leverage, leverage" was the cry before the bust and recession but obviously its back in vogue again. Do people ever learn?

I love the "idea" of growing our own vege etc.,but would feel too tied down trying to bring it to harvest. I will be interested to see if you feel this way as time moves on. I don't think growing vegetables or owning a pet is really compatible with travel.

saving-10-years

@1taskaday, thanks. I enjoy your journal too. I can well understand the complainypants can-we-have-our-holidays-now post you've just done. Although I think that that is perhaps a consistent message re. instant gratification?

We have had kept sheep for the past 17 years so pretty much tied to this place except for short trips. Sheep are less of a tie than pets as they can (if not lambing) be simply looked out on by neighbours without need to feed/water/walk/groom (automatic watering trough and lots of grass). Three years ago we decided not to lamb any more and that allowed us to take trips in the Spring (before that it was impossible as lambing and lambs-at-foot are periods when anything can happen and you need someone with experience to keep an eye on the flock). This is why its mutton rather than lamb in the freezer at the mo.

We have found that we don't like long holidays, after a week (regardless of where we are) I seem to want to be home. Its a pretty special place that we live in and part of that is being in the country and doing country things. If I manage to grow the vege then I will also start looking forward to Sept and the annual village produce show. Yes I know, very Aga saga (and yes we do have the Aga as well).

The plan is that we do at least a couple of months travelling in two years time during son's gap year. This may or may not drive us all crazy. Probably get friends to house/animal sit then although we may not have the animals at that stage. Or we may have more (chickens are something that my Mum has wanted us to get for ages). But our plan is not to travel. We want to be home and _really_ be home, i.e. deep roots and slow enjoyment watching things grow that we have put in the ground. In past years I have planted and then not had time to harvest (waste waste waste) or not planted at all. I think that the work and space will get too much at some stage but would like to enjoy it a bit more actively while we still live here.