Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Where are you and where are you going?
Jean

Re: Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Post by Jean »

i think we have better chances of selling it to someone in switzerland who believes he can fix it.
But it's a pity, because the motor and the interior build are great.
But to fix it, one would have to dismount the interior, fix the rust, and remount the interior.
On other option would be to sell the motor, and keep the rest as a kind of guest room.

chenda

Post by chenda »

You could sell it on webuyanycar.com (or. ch) You will be selling at below market value but if its not worth much then its an easy way to get shot of it.

Jean

Post by Jean »

thanks, i'll have a look at it back home. Their mobile page doesn't work properly.
On the way back, we'll stop at Wroclaw (sorry for the l) and then hike to the snejka. If it is as crowded as Mazuria and the beaches were, it should be ok.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

I recommend Cracow, it's the most beautiful big city in Poland in my opinion (Wrocław is perhaps second in that category). Should be also on your route back if you're coming from Tatra mountains.

Jean

Post by Jean »

we are going to wroclaw directly from lublin. I lived in Krakow before. I must say i found Gdansk nicer than Krakow, but it might be because of the gloomy weather i had then.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Wroclaw is a beautifull town, and it looks very nice to live there. I especially liked the island parks, where people are still allowed to party. It alos felt very safe, which isn't a given for a party area at night in a big european city.
Poland felt very safe altogether. much safer than France, Britain, or even Germany (altough germany still feels safe).
Snezka was also very nice. There were a lot of people (it was sunday), but the people watching was enjoyable.

Altogether, this trip to Poland was very nice. It's still cheaper than Germany, they have everything (cities, mountain, beaches).
And thanks again to the forumite who showed us around Gdansk!

chenda

Post by chenda »

Glad you had a good time Jean, sounds like Poland is underated as a tourist destination.

And happy Swiss National Day.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Yes, it is a great tourist destination.
Thank you!
I'm looking forward to swim in the Aare.
Temperature are tropical, so i'm planning to swim it down from Thun to Büren, with a sleeping bag in my dry bag.
Anyone want to join?

chenda

Post by chenda »

Jean wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:57 am
Yes, it is a great tourist destination.
Thank you!
I'm looking forward to swim in the Aare.
Temperature are tropical, so i'm planning to swim it down from Thun to Büren, with a sleeping bag in my dry bag.
Anyone want to join?
That's a serious swim! So you'll be floating through Bern and Lake Bielersee? Sounds fun although I think I'd be too scared (of the river I mean)

Jean

Post by Jean »

i'll take the old aare, so no bielersee.
I won't have to swim a lot.
I only have to produce enough heat, and avoid getting sucked down by some current.
I'll wear a helmet and a swimvest, and it should be safe. If i get cold, i can just get out of water and wait a moment (air temperature should go over 35).

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Glad to read you are still having adventures my friend

Jean

Post by Jean »

it was a faillure. I did a test run in the aar in front of my home (yes i pay 100.- rent for a waterfront property). It got visible that my drybag didn't work after only a few minutes, there is so little stream that i was slower than walking, and walking back, the concrete was so hot that i was painfull to walk on it.

But honestly, that was then a cool routine, doing stuff at home until i was too sweaty, and then jumping in the river in underwears, waiting in the current for some 50 meters, and then going back to what i was doing.

chenda

Post by chenda »

That's a shame Jean, although maybe you could walk the banks and plunge in when you get too hot?

One of our local rivers has just dried up and become a dusty track.

I was surprised how affordable property can be in Switzerland in certain areas.

Jean

Post by Jean »

i did a nice segment of the aar, beetween bern wylergut and hinterkappelen.
i had a wetsuit, a floating vest, a hat, and a small second drybag in the drybag for valuables.
it's a very comfortable and fun experience. i spent about 4 hour in the water. I found all the equipment among my dad's old equipment, so my style was fashionably vintage.
only expense is the train ticket to bern (16.- in total).

Jean

Post by Jean »

going hiking in the alps.
my achiles tendon and sacro illiac ligament are hurting.
usually hiking is fine, but i'll have to take it easy if it hurts while hiking.
also, we got back to table top rpg. my player enjoy my dming, and i enjoy it too.
my job isn't that fun anymore.
it's very hard on the body, and it's not like a workout where you can throttle your charge to avoid injury.
i really don't wan't an injury.
I really need to start a business going.
A new idea is table top rpg introduction session for "young"( in the classical sense, so, 60-70 yo) retirees, to get them into an intellectually stimulating hobby that doesn't depend on any body part to stay functional.
becauses i noticed that brain usually starts to decay when people cannot.practice what they usually enjoyed when a necessary body part for that enjoyable activity stops functionning.
and brain activity is the best brake to brain decay.

Jean

Post by Jean »

job is going well. I think that it's partially due to one colleague leaving. He was nice, but his way of doing thing seemed often inneficient to me, and the dilemna beetween avoiding conflict and avoiding inneficiency was stressing me. Quite a lot.

Also, the hike in the alps, was really nice. We visited friends who rentend an alp and borrowed 40 goats for the summer and try to make a living selling cheese. They earn about 8.- per hour. But they get to spend the whole summer on an alp.

Also, for my hunting license, i have to accompagny hunters. It was difficult to find hunters willing to take me with them. I had to get someone to pressure them into answering me. Also it didn't click with them.
I wonder if it's because they are different from the people doing the licence with me, or if it's nice because we are on the same boat.

I'm now hiking around Langres, France.
There are much less open shops and restaurants than four years ago. I'm very sad about what's happening in France. Angry too.

Also, we are not expecting a baby, which is making me sad.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Jean wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:10 pm
I'm now hiking around Langres, France.
There are much less open shops and restaurants than four years ago. I'm very sad about what's happening in France. Angry too.
What has happened to Langres Jean ? :(

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Jean wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:10 pm
Also, we are not expecting a baby, which is making me sad.
Sorry, I know that's important for the two of you. At least you get to keep trying :D

Jean

Post by Jean »

Langres itself is fine, but the villages around it are losing all their economic activities.
Also, the terrible murders, and people laughing about it.

Also, i reread my whole journal, I wrote some very good thing.
I'm also very gratefull for everyone that answered my posts.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Jean wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:56 pm
Langres itself is fine, but the villages around it are losing all their economic activities.
Also, the terrible murders, and people laughing about it.

Also, i reread my whole journal, I wrote some very good thing.
I'm also very gratefull for everyone that answered my posts.
That's a great shame. Murders ? Seemed a very safe place I thought...

I am grateful for your journal. I hope your paternity issues resolve themselves too.