Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Where are you and where are you going?
Western Red Cedar

Re: Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Sorry to hear about the migraines. I've only had one about ten years ago when I was drinking a lot of coffee and quit cold turkey. It was brutal.

DW has suffered from migraines for a number of years and they started getting worse in her 30's. She would often need a full day to recover, sometimes two. She started taking magnesium, vitamin B2, and vitamin D3 based on a doctor's recommendation and hasn't had one since last fall. She also makes more of an effort to stay hydrated.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Maybe a nice head massage could help ? With some lavender essential oils.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Paracetamol doesn't work, and strong smells and massages feel horrible during migraines. I don't really see a link with low hydration. Before, i started drinking a lot of water everytime a migraine was starting, but i ended up vomiting most of the water away.
I might be short on some vitamins and magnesium, so that might be something to check.
I have a lot of free time, so migraines rarely conflict with my obligations, i usually just lie down until it goes away.
I find it very interesting that something so common and so incapacitating has no cure and isn't understood at all.

shaz

Post by shaz »

I get migraines but very only very infrequently since I figured out what triggers them for me. One trigger is birth control pills. The other trigger is certain scents - mostly perfume-y type things such as scented candles, scented soaps, scented lotions, cologne, etc. If I feel one starting, sometimes ingesting caffeine immediately can stop it.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Ha - too much caffeine sometimes triggers mine

The tl;dr here seems to be, everyone's unique. Food sensitivities often get mentioned in the same breath as migraines; might be good to try an elimination diet of the common suspects and see if it makes things better

Jean

Post by Jean »

@ertyu, yeah, it's a very mysterious disease.
I'm curious if a massive study coupled with AI could help understand it better.

My theory was that it's a trick the body uses to force the brain to rest and stop eating, but it doesn't really add up.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Jean wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:14 am

My theory was that it's a trick the body uses to force the brain to rest and stop eating
I mean if you stop eating, you'll also not be eating whatever there your allergen is, if any, so it's not that far off

rube

Post by rube »

I have serious headaches sometimes. I wouldn't call it migraine as I know other people with migraine and they seem to be much more in pain etc., but it is more than just a headache.
In any case, sometimes I can pinpoint the trigger exactly, like not sleeping long enough, don't eat or drink for too long, walking too long in a burning sun etc.
But at most times these kind of things don't trigger the headaches, so in like 1:20 cases or so? Too unreliable to specifically act on.
If I have it, I mostly do nothing, sometimes some light reading, or listening music or so.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Have the migraines improved Jean ?

Jean

Post by Jean »

I haven't had one in a while, but they come in burst.

chenda

Post by chenda »

A high pollen count has given me migraine like symptoms recently. That could be a contributing factor.

Jean

Post by Jean »

ok, it never happened to me. The pollen i'm allergic to are at the highest, so I get hayflu whenewer i go out, but i don't get headache.
Also, i wrote a cover letter whit chat gpt, and have an interview.
My respect for HR just got lower.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Hey good luck with the interview, what type of job would that be and in what majority language part of Switzerland?

Jean

Post by Jean »

it's an engineer job in a bilingual city.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I used to work with a lady from a Swiss bilingual city so might know which city actually. She used to talk at me about horses, nature and related things in Swiss German, I'd learned quite a bit of German this way.

Jean

Post by Jean »

There are three of them, Sierre, Fribourg, and Bienne. I'm in Bienne.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Yep that's where she was from.

Jean

Post by Jean »

The interview was good, the agency dude invited me to show up for the apero.
I think i looked smart and agreable.
The interview was planed from 1400 to 1430, but i arrived at 1345, and left at 1445. It was pleasant, and I am pleased with most of my answer. I'm just worried, because it looks like he doesn't realise I haven't worked for the last 9 years.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I hope you’ll get offered the job!

Jean

Post by Jean »

That would be fun. I don't know what i'll do with the money, maybe get treatment for shity sperm count (i got mine tested, it was very bad, I forget it easyly, because remembering it makes me quite sad).