Need help learning how to cook

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
BetaTheta

Need help learning how to cook

Post by BetaTheta »

Hey guys,

so I recently came across ERE and have been really interested in. My biggest expense right now is food and it's mainly because I don't know how to cook. I mainly eat out or from a microwaved package.

I want to learn how to cook quick, cheap and healthy foods. I tried finding recipes, but most have 10+ ingredients and seem daunting. I'm also vegan, so that cuts out all animal products.

Right now, I'm planning on getting a pressure cooker, cooking beans and rice, covering the meal with some veggies. I figure that's a decent start. But if you guy have any simple suggestions or resources (How to cook for dummies?), that'd be really appreciated.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Need help learning how to cook

Post by jacob »

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Go to Trader Joes, get:

Frozen Rice
Soybeans
Soy Sauce
Toasted Sesame Oil

Heat the soybeans and rice, add a Tbsp of soy sauce and oil, each. Mix it up and eat it.

To vary this, use canned beans / lentils in place of the soybeans. Replace the soy sauce / oil combo with bottled sauces (I like the red curry).

Now try to replicate the combos you like by googling the sauce recipes, maybe actually cooking the beans / rice. In my experience, the time cost of re-hydrating beans / rice isn't worth it.

Just eat your fruits / vegs raw.

You can add protein with TVP (textured vegetable protein). I buy it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Tex ... ywords=tvp

If you're a man, you should limit soy protein to 1-2 servings a day. As a vegan though, you're kind of screwed on that account. It's either soy or not getting enough protein.

You didn't say the food has to taste good. This approach is edible, but only okay tasting. Good enough for me, anyway.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

Trial and error is an excellent teacher too. When I wanted to learn how to cook better bbq, I just got on Google and started reading every blog, discussion forum, website about bbq that I could find.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Stir Fry is very easy, quick and adaptable. You can pretty much cook anything in a stir fry.

Magda

Post by Magda »

Try this blog: http://thestonesoup.com/blog/recipe-index-2/#

The majority of the recipes is "5 ingredients, 10 minutes".
I like the fact that Jules mentions many ingredient alternatives, so you can make different meals using pretty much the same recipe.
She also started publishing vids for every recipe, so it will be easier for you to follow the steps.

BecaS

Post by BecaS »

IMHO, the absolute single best cookbook to have on your shelf is the red and white plaid Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It's been around *forever* but it is updated regularly with new editions. The newest editions include edits, entire chapters and recipes for the most modern trends in cooking. I have two of these books on our shelf- the old original edition that was given to me as a wedding gift 30+ years ago and a newer edition that I purchased for myself within the last few years.

IIRC, it doesn't have a specific vegan/vegetarian section but it does have many chapters of recipes without meats. Meat and poultry have their own specific chapters, as do pasta, vegetables, desserts, cakes, cookies, breads, salads, condiments, freezing, canning, convenience foods, etc.

This cookbook was on my shelf for many years when I was very young and very busy before I sat down and simply read, perused this book. Sitting down with this cookbook really opened my eyes- it never occurred to me to "make my own" with many items. I had no idea that it was so easy to make some of the things that I bought pre-made, and to make those things with groceries I already have on my shelves. Salmon cakes? Crab cakes? We like tartar sauce on salmon cakes and crab cakes. Rather than buy a jar of tartar sauce as a condiment that we use occasionally, I make tartar sauce as we need it from items we have on our shelves. The tartar sauce is fresh, I make it with our homemade sweet pickles so it has that wonderful flavor in it as well, and I can spice the tartar sauce as I want it at that moment. Sometimes I add a little fresh dill if we have fresh dill growing. Sometimes I add dried dill if I we have dried some of our home grown dill. Sometimes I add a little Hungarian paprika or a little cayenne pepper if we are looking for a little kick. Etc. It would have never occurred to me to make my own tartar sauce if I'd not read the condiment section of the BH&G cookbook.

Also, crock pot- get a crock pot, read the recipe booklet that typically comes with the crock pot. You can buy a crock pot cookbook but honestly, just read the recipes that come with it. Those will give you an idea of what is possible. Do a Google search on vegan/vegetarian crock pot recipes- there are blogs out there written by people who cooked in a crock pot every day for a year. A crock pot will save your sanity when you want to cook from scratch but there are more chores/work than hours in the day.

dalzir

Post by dalzir »

As a vegan, I've found that homemade meals are the most rewarding, both in price and quality. I highly recommend the cookbook Veganomicon written by the talented vegan chef Isa Chandra Moskowitz. In it, she describes the basics of plant-based cooking, including important equipment, terminology, and techniques.

Chloe's Kitchen (Chloe Coscarelli) is another one of favorites. I think her recipes may be a little easier than Isa's.

There are some great vegan cooking blogs out there to get you started, including:

http://www.theppk.com - run by chef Isa. Recipes include easy-to-find ingredients and are really tasty. I followed her Mashed Sweet Potato & Apple recipe, and it was sooo good!! :D

http://www.ohsheglows.com - includes Quick and Easy recipes, many with fewer than 10 ingredients

http://www.theveganstoner.blogspot.com - haven't tried this one myself, but it seems to be good for a beginner

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years. My favorite recipe books were the Enchanted Broccoli Forest and Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant. I'm not sure if they're vegan. They might be lacto-ovo vegetarian, but the recipes were really easy to prepare.

Search for raw foods recipes. There are plenty now that the raw foods diet is so popular. I've accumulated quite a few (for prepping reasons) but most are vegan. And no cooking necessary ;)

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Make friends with Indian cooking.

$10 invested in some Indian Spices will last you for a year and make for awesome tasting and flavorful vegan food.

Vegetarian/vegan Indian foods are very low cost/serving and taste even better the next day...i.e. make for great leftovers.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Freedom_2018 wrote:Make friends with Indian cooking.
+1, I like these guys:
http://showmethecurry.com/

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Love that site!

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years. My favorite recipe books were the Enchanted Broccoli Forest and Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant. I'm not sure if they're vegan. They might be lacto-ovo vegetarian, but the recipes were really easy to prepare.
I would not have guessed that.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Chad wrote:
jennypenny wrote:I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years. My favorite recipe books were the Enchanted Broccoli Forest and Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant. I'm not sure if they're vegan. They might be lacto-ovo vegetarian, but the recipes were really easy to prepare.
I would not have guessed that.
Guessed what? That Annie Oakley was a vegan for a time? :D

Chad

Post by Chad »

Yes, I wouldn't have placed high odds on that possibility.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Whenever we're out for a stroll we walk through Whole Foods for the free samples. My wife is on a first name basis with the sample girl who always gives us a plateful. Anyhow, today we decided to walk through the deli to get ideas for what to make for lunch. We wanted to work watercress into our lunch so we asked the deli guy if any of their salads (which look like works of art) have that green as an ingredient. He said no, but told us that they post all of their recipes online for free......

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes

Tons of vegan options there. If you ask they gladly give free samples too. Tell them you want to make it and they'll give you the recipe right there.

And if you are shameless like us it is possible to come home empty handed and full bellied. ;)

BecaS

Post by BecaS »

Ego, we do something very similar.

I will admit, going out to eat is one of my weaknesses: when I'm tired, or when I'm tired of my own food.

We try not to go there often, and when we do, we try to use discount coupons, specials, etc. and we try to make sure that we get the best value for our dollar. (I get especially frustrated and will voice my displeasure, politely, if we pay for restaurant food and it's not good.)

Right now I am gnoshing on our version of Chipotle: home made cilantro lime rice (with our home grown cilantro) home made corn salsa, sautéed onions, mango peach tomato salsa from Costco, and our home canned pork on top. We have Costco's store brand (Kirkland) corn tortilla chips and guacamole (Costco, I confess, didn't make it this time) on the side.

Beta Theta, if there are retail foods that you like, take an analytical look at them, see if you can replicate them at home. Somebody else is cooking it in the restaurant; it's not rocket science back in the kitchen.

Also, what Ego says- see if you can find recipes online for the particular retail restaurant foods that you like.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

the OP wanted to learn how to cook.
My advise, skip most cookbooks. Chef's who want to publish fancy up the recipes with lots of ingredients. Beginners don't need that.

My kids had a childrens cookbook. It was simple and delivered good results. Each daughter had to cook one dinner a week.

I would also suggest watching Jacques Pepin reruns. He cooks with basic ingredients.

Get the 15 bean soup mix (available in most grocery stares.and make per the directions, adding ham bone or sausage and tomatos per the "fancy instructions". That's a good start towards soup.

Cook a roast. Oven 350 degrees for around an hour. Eat. If it's raw in the middle, roast some more. Then evolve to hash and soup with the left overs.

Hash: chop left over meat up, add diced potatoes and onions and garlic and fry until it smells good and the potatoes are soft.

It's not rocket science. Just start the stove and follow your tastebuds.

BecaS

Post by BecaS »

@cael,

Here's my simplest version of a corn salsa recipe, made from things I typically have on my shelves. You can adjust it to taste and to include fresh ingredients.

One can of corn, drained
One pepper of your choosing, chopped. I've used red bell peppers, banana peppers, jalepenos, whatever I have on hand and whatever you prefer. Seed larger peppers.
One onion, chopped
Splash of Texas Pete or Tabasco to taste
Granulated garlic to taste
Generous splash of lime juice. I typically use bottled lime juice; obviously fresh is better but if you don't have limes bottled will work nicely
Brown sugar to taste; honey also works, not too much because corn is already sweet. You are offsetting the acidity of the lime juice with this additional sweetener.
Cilantro, fresh or dried. We grow our own cilantro and I dry it as we clip it, so our cilantro typically packs a punch
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it a few hours early to let the flavors blend, and chill.

To me, the cilantro, the lime juice and the garlic over the sweetness of the corn is what gives this salsa its unique flavor.

I've looked up "copycat" recipes online and few if any include garlic. ??? How does one have salsa without garlic? But skip the garlic if that's not a flavor you appreciate.

Also, if you like a strong "bottom note" in your salsa you can add cumin. Personally, I prefer cumin for heavier dishes like chili, but like garlic, some people love the flavor of cumin in everything.

Hmm... tomatillos... hmmm...

I've never tried to replicate the medium salsa. I do make guacamole on occasion but I'll confess- typically I just grab a carton at Costco unless I see guacs on sale and think, "Hmm, guacamole..." If guacamole was part of our typical daily faire you bet I'd make it myself all the time. :) We don't eat guacamole often enough to warrant a specific trip to the store for guacs.