Marriage? With a sub-section for women marrying down

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Spartan_Warrior

Re: Marriage? With a sub-section for women marrying down

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Fair enough. I won't attempt to argue that diastasis recti can be dieted or exercised away (although, according to wikipedia, there are some exercises that can mitigate it). But IMO some separation of the abdominal muscles and stretch marks are fairly minor (aesthetically) if you returned to your general fitness level. Definitely not the same as the woman who gains 50 pounds and then "just can't lose it".

I just don't view pregnancy as a valid excuse for a woman to let herself go (although it's often used as such). Obviously complications can occur.

As far as asset protection in the U.S., what I'm gathering is that the only valid way of protecting an asset is to earn it before you get married. And I doubt even that is full-proof.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I pretty much agree with Triangle, marriage is an obsolete concept; an irrelevant religious sacrament wholesale taken over by government that has become trite, bizarre, commercialized, so on.

"You need to be married for your kids." Why, is this is Dickensian London?... Shouldn't having 2 parents be enough? As I kid I could have cared less what my parents' standing with the IRS was. I remember asking my Mom about her 3 names on a document around the age of 5, and that was the first, and likely last, time I cared about this allegedly important issue.
lilacorchid wrote:In the end, no one said you have to get married!

FTR: I find this whole thread to be really odd. Perhaps I hang out with weirdos, but I don't have one girlfriend who married for money or tried to rip off her husband in their divorce. Is there something I'm missing? Can't you guys get a prenup in the US and render all this null?
Seems for all the girls I've gone with, marriage is a deal breaker... They think it's the most colossal disrespect to not eventually marry them.

No one goes into marriage expecting failure, but we're all realists here looking to protect ourselves. People do 180s, I've seen it and it's frightening... Energetic, agile people become stones. Positive people become poisonous... Like SW said, go look on an investment board, there are usually quite a few guys who will recount Greek tragedies if you mention marriage. I'm sure plenty of stories from the female perspective as well.
jennypenny wrote:@johnnyh--Aren't you worried that if you marry a younger spouse, she might come to the same conclusion when you're 50? Most of my female friends think guys are the ones who don't age well.

You may find this hard to believe at your age, but a person's sex life usually improves during middle age. There comes a point where talent and thoroughness mean more than looks. Doesn't mean you won't find younger people better looking, it just means you won't find good looking (by itself) satisfying anymore.
I'm worried about that too (pattern? ;) )! And I know you're right about sex getting better... The sex I had when I was a teenager was, lol, relatively terrible despite looking like classical statues... I've never understood the guys that wanted 1 night stands and nothing else. Sex with strangers (in my mid range number of trials) is usually bad. Sex with a friend of years gets better.... OTOH, if your partner lets themselves go, the sex basically stops and people get bitter. I experienced that for a multi-year relationship, and I'm terrified of living that for decades. Again, more more horror stories and circumstantial evidence, once the woman secures the man in contract they can give up on everything because of the asymmetrical risk.

Avni1

Post by Avni1 »

Asymmetrical risk? Please ask a 40+ divorced mom with custody of two young children what her options look like compared to those of her (same age) ex. The asymmetry only gets worse from then on. Her bank balance is no compensation for having to give up on companionship, advice and logistical support unless she is wholly mercenary. I have yet to meet such a person. Among many other reasons, women generally value marriage and monogamy because they are painfully aware of what happens in this society as they age.

I have no quarrel with men who look at their options/contingencies and decide not to marry. But if a man, hand on heart, stands up in front of everyone and promises to be there for her for the rest of her life (and she makes irreversible decisions based on this fact), and then he reneges on the deal, she absolutely should go after him guns blazing.

A

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

@JohnnyH - I was the marrying type. It worked for us, but I do have friends who aren't married and have everything set up the same as us but don't have the paper. Common-law is, in some provinces, the same as being married as far as laws go when splitting up and if my memory serves, there are laws coming into place in others. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but only people over 50 seem to freak out about us young people living together and perhaps never having a wedding.

@avni1 - I have to disagree. If two people break up and have children, that is just one more reason to try to resolve things without it getting messy. Absolutely fight for the benefits for the children, but don't go after him just F him up because he hurt your feelings.
---

I'm up in arms because of the talk of women screwing over men. This is a board with both sexes, and we are both likely to get screwed over if we divorce just due to the reason we are all on this board! Life is calculated risks; partnering up is too. As someone said above, choose wisely!

SilverElephant

Post by SilverElephant »

@lilacorchid

As I said in an earlier posting, the nature of this forum alone means we'll get unusual people, so I'm not too surprised to see a "breadwinner" woman. Forgive me if I offended you or your friends; that was not my intention, I was playing by statistics. But then you can relate to how I feel with "everyone's" attempt to push me into that role.

As for those ominous "forums", I'm aware that only the bitter log on to describe their experience, but as I pointed out in my previous post, I just like to know what the risks are and I'd much rather be mainly aware of the horrible possibilities than get blindsided. As JohnnyH pointed out, all of us are here because we're realists trying to protect ourselves one way or another.

SilverElephant

Post by SilverElephant »

lilacorchid wrote: I'm up in arms because of the talk of women screwing over men. This is a board with both sexes, and we are both likely to get screwed over if we divorce just due to the reason we are all on this board! Life is calculated risks; partnering up is too. As someone said above, choose wisely!
This. I'm sorry if I somehow turned this into a political discussion. One of the side effects of feminism was to bring men and women up against each other and most have been fighting, in various ways, ever since instead of joining forces against those trying to screw us all over. I feel that the gender thing has been extremely well utilized by the media and political caste.

Spartan_Warrior

Avni1 wrote:Asymmetrical risk? Please ask a 40+ divorced mom with custody of two young children what her options look like compared to those of her (same age) ex. The asymmetry only gets worse from then on. Her bank balance is no compensation for having to give up on companionship, advice and logistical support unless she is wholly mercenary. I have yet to meet such a person. Among many other reasons, women generally value marriage and monogamy because they are painfully aware of what happens in this society as they age.

I have no quarrel with men who look at their options/contingencies and decide not to marry. But if a man, hand on heart, stands up in front of everyone and promises to be there for her for the rest of her life (and she makes irreversible decisions based on this fact), and then he reneges on the deal, she absolutely should go after him guns blazing.

A
Wait... who is most likely to be the one reneging on the deal? Fully 2/3s (66%) of all divorces are initiated by women.

<LINK> http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/women-i ... 67068.html

That alone is a pretty big indicator of asymmetrical risk. Why do women initiate divorce more than men? Answer: they have less to lose. Just saying.

Spartan_Warrior

Oh, and I agree with Triangle and JohnnyH re: marriage being obsolete. But this:

"Seems for all the girls I've gone with, marriage is a deal breaker... They think it's the most colossal disrespect to not eventually marry them."

...is still very much the case. To prove this, I would ask my own girlfriend how she'd feel if I wanted her to be my lifetime partner without ever marrying, but I'm not quite ready to start seeing other people. :p

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Spartan_Warrior wrote: Wait... who is most likely to be the one reneging on the deal? Fully 2/3s (66%) of all divorces are initiated by women.

<LINK> http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/women-i ... 67068.html

That alone is a pretty big indicator of asymmetrical risk. Why do women initiate divorce more than men? Answer: they have less to lose. Just saying.
Whoa, whoa, whoa... women regularily end up with children and in poverty after a divorce.

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases ... 1-144.html

•Women who divorced in the past 12 months reported less household income than recently divorced men. For example, 27 percent of women who divorced in the past 12 months had less than $25,000 in annual household income compared with 17 percent of recently divorced men.

•Similarly, women who divorced in the past 12 months were more likely than recently divorced men to be in poverty (22 percent compared with 11 percent).

Ego

Post by Ego »

Marriage (and non-marriage long-term commitment) is hard. You've got to go into it like Cortez conquering Mexico. Burn the ships. No turning back. Commit 100%.

Pre-nups undermine the marriage before it starts. It is easier to quit when you have a pre-planned escape hatch.

Is marriage obsolete? Fewer people are choosing to do it, that's for sure. But does it have a function beyond religion and the law? I think so.

Spartan_Warrior

@lilac:
Not to be overly cynical, but being "in poverty" in the US doesn't necessarily mean they're actually worse off: actually, it means Uncle Sam takes over as Daddy Moneybags instead (probably in addition to the customary alimony payment from the ex-spouse). From the same article:

"Women who divorced in the past 12 months were more likely to receive public assistance than recently divorced men (23 percent and 15 percent)."

How else do you explain the gender disparity in who initiates a divorce, if asymmetrical risk plays no role? Just curious.

Triangle

Post by Triangle »

If not marrying her is a deal breaker for a girl, find another one. There's plenty of girls that have deal breakers I can't or don't want to fulfill. Some girls want a guy to party with them 24/7, buy them diamonds and drive a BMW. If you don't do it, it's a deal breaker for them. But it's a deal breaker for me, so no deal.

Would you take up heroin if your girlfriend really wanted that? Of course you wouldn't. How is marriage different? Some things you can compromise on, some you can't.

There are of course ways to protect your assets, but most of them are considered borderline paranoid/sleazy. You can, for example, form an offshore trust that owns things you want to protect. Or like somebody mentioned, form an LLC that owns your car and your house. Then have the LLC allow you to use those things. I haven't tried those things, but I know people who do it.

Spartan_Warrior

@Toska: Depends. What kind of health insurance you got? ;)

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:@lilac:
Not to be overly cynical, but being "in poverty" in the US doesn't necessarily mean they're actually worse off: actually, it means Uncle Sam takes over as Daddy Moneybags instead (probably in addition to the customary alimony payment from the ex-spouse). From the same article:

"Women who divorced in the past 12 months were more likely to receive public assistance than recently divorced men (23 percent and 15 percent)."

How else do you explain the gender disparity in who initiates a divorce, if asymmetrical risk plays no role? Just curious.
Google tells me that women are unhappy or being abused and are tired of trying to fix either. Perhaps more men would initiate divorce for these reasons if they weren't so worried about never seeing their kids again?

I'm not saying the system is good. I think there are still a lot of laws that need updating. It wasn't long ago where a women needed permission from her husband to even have a job or was able to have her own bank account. Perhaps some of the laws still reflect this attitude.

@Ego +1. Having no out certainly helps push through big issues to find a solution. (Barring abuse or other deal breakers.)

Spartan_Warrior

@Toska:

Okay, but I call the Kevin James role.

Spartan_Warrior

@lilac: Yeah, I agree. I think a lot of it is outdated laws. I think some of it is also predatory divorce lawyers, who I assume make more money the larger the settlement/alimony/etc.

Definitely a tragic system for all involved. It just occurred to me that all this discussion of whether the man or women is most affected is missing the real victims: the children themselves, if any.

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:@lilac: Yeah, I agree. I think a lot of it is outdated laws. I think some of it is also predatory divorce lawyers, who I assume make more money the larger the settlement/alimony/etc.

Definitely a tragic system for all involved. It just occurred to me that all this discussion of whether the man or women is most affected is missing the real victims: the children themselves, if any.
Totally. The kids get screwed. Their standard of living is lower, they are missing a beloved parent, they get shlepped between homes, never mind if their parents behave like animals trying to kill each other.

Spartan_Warrior

@Triangle: That's all well and good, but the problem with that attitude is that I actually do want a long-term, happy relationship and family someday before I die. Living an ERE lifestyle narrows the selection enough! I guarantee you the subset of available women who 1) also want a long-term relationship without marriage, but 2) want kids and 3) appreciate the ERE lifestyle is infinitely small. I'm guessing the whole handful of them are all represented on this board! On that note, any of you ladies single? ;)

Chad

Post by Chad »

Ego wrote:Pre-nups undermine the marriage before it starts. It is easier to quit when you have a pre-planned escape hatch.
I don't care. Actually, if I was thinking about getting married, not that I would need to for me, I would definitely bring up a pre-nup even if they aren't 100% bulletproof. If she got angry, that would probably be the end right there.
Ego wrote: Is marriage obsolete? Fewer people are choosing to do it, that's for sure. But does it have a function beyond religion and the law? I think so.
Interesting enough, I do think it has value for some people. In the book Coming Apart the author shows how the declining town has far fewer people married (roughly 30% if I remember correctly) and the professional improving town has far more people married (roughly 80%).

This of course does not mean that decline is caused by not being married, it could just be a by product.

Also, he isn't suggesting that the people in the declining town are living together in permanent relationships just without the official "marriage." He suggests that these women aren't creating serious relationships with the guys they are sleeping with because they are so low quality. They don't have jobs or have low end jobs, and aren't great partners.

The author suggests that over time these men have been conditioned to not care about being a good partner. They can't become a professional or even a skilled laborer, so they devalue themselves and society has devalued them and the jobs they can actually do. He suggests society will not give them credit for working a $10 an hour job and being reliable to their family.

I do think this is part of the problem.

For this group of people I do think marriage is a good idea, as they need the structure, societal rules, and forced responsibility from marriage. Though, other people, probably most on here, don't need the artificial construct of marriage to be committed, reliable, and at least a solid partner.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote:Marriage (and non-marriage long-term commitment) is hard. You've got to go into it like Cortez conquering Mexico. Burn the ships. No turning back. Commit 100%.

Pre-nups undermine the marriage before it starts. It is easier to quit when you have a pre-planned escape hatch.

Is marriage obsolete? Fewer people are choosing to do it, that's for sure. But does it have a function beyond religion and the law? I think so.
+1

It's curious that some of you are hesitant to take advice from people in long-term successful relationships, but seem eager to listen to war stories from divorcees. Don't you think you might learn more from the success stories? I assume you came to this forum because there are people who are financially successful who might teach you something, instead of frequenting forums where people just gripe about not being able to get ahead.