question re: health insurance

Move along, nothing to see here!
Lorraine

question re: health insurance

Post by Lorraine »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy health insurance in a state you do not live? Like, will a P.O. box suffice, or does it have to match your driver's license address?

I'm in a bit of a weird predicament. I am starting a job that offers me health insurance only while I am working (which will be days or weeks on a boat), but on shore I am not covered. I won't be a resident in the state that I will be working since the company offers housing during my contract period, but the housing will constantly change based on where I am shipping out from. I want to have a high deductible plan to cover emergencies. I'm pretty sure the insurance I have now through my current employer will not cover me in this other state, so I don't want to pay for COBRA.

There are short-term plans (up to a year) offered in the state where I will be working. Does anyone have any experience with those?

The job itself is very ere-compatible: all housing and food is paid, I get a decent salary, and when I'm on the boat, there is no place to spend money and there is no need for a car, so I predict that I will be saving close to 100% of my income. Plus, it will be a huge adventure!

Chad

Re: question re: health insurance

Post by Chad »

Your situation is so rare I'm not sure anyone will know. You might just have to talk to the insurers.

Ego

Post by Ego »

This is a question many people will be soon asking.

Insurances prices are determined by the local healthcare costs. Here in Southern California the costs for rural residents in the eastern part of the state are much higher than those along the coast because coastal residents have more insurance options to choose from (competition) which lowers the price. If one were permitted to shop around and arbitrage the cheapest place to insure, the system as it is structured today would collapse.

You would have to become a resident of that other state in order to buy coverage there. I once lived on a sailboat and had a PO Box. The state/federal government required that I provide a general description as my resident address and the PO Box as my mailing address. For instance, San Diego Bay Free Anchorage, San Diego, CA 92101. You would likely have to do something similar.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Ego wrote:If one were permitted to shop around and arbitrage the cheapest place to insure, the system as it is structured today would collapse.
This is what Obamacare will do, with the health insurance exchange market or whatever, right?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:
Ego wrote:If one were permitted to shop around and arbitrage the cheapest place to insure, the system as it is structured today would collapse.
This is what Obamacare will do, with the health insurance exchange market or whatever, right?
Obamacare creates state exchanges. Each statewide exchange is divided into regions. In California we have 19 regions. Each region has different insurance options with different prices.

PDF> http://www.coveredca.com/news/PDFs/CC_H ... ooklet.pdf