BlueNote's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Lemur

Re: BlueNote's Journal

Post by Lemur » Wed May 01, 2019 7:57 am

BlueNote wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:40 am
New Job

I'm unemployed for a week until I start my new job. I worked at the old company for almost ten years (my entire professional career thus far ) and from their perspective was a good little salaryman who might actually stay there until they terminated or retired me. It was hard to say goodbye I developed a lot of professional relationships there, in some cases it was almost like family.

The new job is a promotion for me and is at a company that has a lot of growth. The company I worked for before was in a declining sub-industry of the technology industry. As a result of the decline they're doing a lot of cost cutting terminations and outsourcing. The head of our department left for greener pastures and speculated to me that the company would likely be terminating and/or outsourcing about half of our department next year. There was an ongoing struggle to get a promotion but our department head just wasn't allowed to promote or hire new heads. If someone quit they just spread everyone thinner. I was preparing to launch a new job campaign and a head hunter called out of the blue and almost demanded that I go for an interview and the rest is history. It's probably going to help me a bit with a higher salary and possible bonus.
Enjoy every second of it! :D
Also congratulations on the new job. I also like the mentality of "possible bonus." Helps me manage expectations ...I never expect one (though a bonus is very likely) so I don't get mentally crushed haha.

rube

Post by rube » Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am

Congrats BlueNote!

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Thu May 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Congrats on the new job and good luck in adjusting to your new role.

Smashter

Post by Smashter » Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Congrats! I've gone from a declining company to a thriving one before, and the transition is pretty great. I bet you love it.

Family father

Post by Family father » Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Congrats Bluenote!

BlueNote

Post by BlueNote » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:13 pm

Life

My son is growing up fast. He's going through a phase where he gets angry or upset and hasn't learned to control himself when these emotions hit. I see this as an interesting opportunity to see his raw psyche before he learns to filter things. When he gets upset he shrieks as loud as he can and sometimes will try to claw/scratch your face. The other day he dropped a toy car on his foot. He then proceeded to pick the car up, throw it to the ground and then point and yell at it in his baby babble talk. He repeated the throwing , pointing and yelling routine about 4 times before settling down, it was FUNNY. He's also more expressive of his love towards us and likes hugs and cuddles. When I get home from work he runs to the door and opens it when I come in. When he is teething in the night he will let loose a mind bending shriek and by the time I wake up in panic and get to him he's back asleep :lol:

Work

I have employees now. I have a lot of respect for them and I think they have respect for me. Beyond that I am trying to build strong professional relationships with them by having a lot of regularly occurring quality communication.

There's a ton of work at the new job, not sure how I am going to manage it all. My team is under a lot of stress and about half of us are new employees.

The company culture has developed in a way where people are just expected to figure out most things on their own. Documentation of work processes is often optional. For example I was "trained" on a process in my first week by someone talking as fast as they seemingly could about how they did a fairly complex and sophisticated process. There was about 2 hours of this brain dump and it was over. I think the person expected to simply walk away from doing this huge job, they'd been doing for years, after a two hour quick brain dump and some very unclear promises about providing consultation if we approach them. Questions were sort of barely tolerated and I was almost scoffed at when I asked if there was written documentation. It's like people run purely on their raw abilities to patch things together in the moment. Contrast this with how I left my last job. I created videos with hours of documentation of me doing my job on the computer. I created thousands of words and images of documentation in a shared OneNote book and made sure it was stored on a sharepoint that wouldn't disappear after I left. I also spent hours and hours training people and meeting with everyone I could to ensure a smooth transition. I also provided answers to questions to people in the old job after I had moved on to the new job as a professional courtesy. The new job is like everyone just could care less about that sort of thing.

There is a huge push to train everyone on a software tool called Knime. They seem to want to replace almost all major analytical excel models with Knime. When I did some knime tutorials I thought it was sort of interesting but kept thinking how I would prefer to just use a programming language. I guess Knime is more user accessible than a programming language. Anyways I'm trying to avoid the "man with a hammer" mental model but also want to fit in with the culture so its a bit of a balance.

I'm required to manage the finances for an entirely new line of business that should be going online in a month or two along with an existing line of business which has financial processes built from duct tap and bailing wire. I'm starting to mentally build a case for hiring 1 or 2 more analysts.

cimorene12

Post by cimorene12 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:23 pm

I love hearing about your kid. Emotion regulation is something that is acquired later on. Teething is always an interesting experience.

The whole thing about questions being barely tolerated and the dearth of written documentation is a bit strange - obviously your new company's on-boarding experience could be improved. Even if the new company doesn't have a culture of knowledge sharing and documentation, you can start having people on your team work on getting information together. It'll be helpful if you do end up getting 1 or 2 more analysts.

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:22 am

It sounds like you’ll have plenty of challenge and not all of them will be pleasant. On the bright side, it sounds like you have lots to contribute to the company’s culture.

BlueNote

Post by BlueNote » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Family Communism

I transferred 23K CAD to my wife since Feb 2018 when my son was born. I did this as part of what I jokingly call "family communism" whereby we add together all of our incomes and do a transfer so that our total incomes are the same. So far our communism hasn't suffered the same fate as other communisms in that there has been no famines, dictatorships or gulag style concentration camps. Family communism stops at the end of August at which point we revert back to pretending that the money we earn actually belongs to each individual spouse.

Work

Two things that I am not liking about my new job.

1. I have two managers. No matter how well intentioned these types of arrangements are it makes it very difficult to keep them pleased. I always felt these arrangements were less effective than having a one boss system. I also have to participate in sharing 2 of my 3 employees with other managers. I have to coach my employees with how to deal with the time demands of multiple managers.

2. I have now seen one entire department of director, finance manager and analyst quit and get replaced and now the analyst of that depart is quitting again and being replaced in the space of 2 months. I have seen about 3/4 of another bigger department go as well. There's a lot of mini-organizations that make up the whole organization. They are purposely loosely coupled with each other, for what I believe, is a growth purpose. When you have a big organization with a new thing they want to grow the big organization tends to suck away it's resources and ignore it. Forcing a smaller org onto the growing thing is like building a greenhouse around a little plant, it protects it from the harsh big org environment and provides it with much needed attention and care so it can grow . This also means that if you lose your entire finance department that nobody is going to assign another orgs head count to come to your rescue. They'll just make the managers re-hire and retrain. The other people in the office, sitting right next to the disaster, watch it burn and feel sorry for the remaining people who don't get promoted and have to deal with new managers (like me :lol: ) and colleagues hired off the street.

They're also not averse to firing your ass if you mess up, even if it's during your first 6 weeks there and it's relatively minor. I've been kept up at night worrying about my work for the last month due to negative feedback from one of my managers. It's all good now, I hope, but that never happened at the old place. At the old place I don't know of anyone that got fired, it was like a government job that way and I didn't realize how insulating it was until recently. I feel like I am improving as a result of the feedback although I would never provide an employee with that level of feedback unless I had gone through like 10 instances of much milder feedback without a behaviour change.

Two things I am liking about my new job

1. More MONEY :mrgreen:
2. I am enjoying the 'power' for lack of a better word of managing. I am talking about relationship power for the most part but there is also the role power which is becoming less important as relationship power builds. I can delegate tasks which are small to me but to my people they are big responsibilities.They grow and I get rid of something that had low economic value relative to the other balls I am juggling. I am very aware of the balance I need to keep on this because over delegation is one of the reasons for people leaving this org. You can't just show up at an analysts desk and be like "go run the departments operations properly and don't ask what I mean by that you should just know" and then scorch them when they inevitably fuck up because you weren't managing them.

Kid

My son is doing very well, he's talking more and we chase each other around and play a lot.

BlueNote

Post by BlueNote » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 pm

That Time I was a Manager

I’m moving on to another job again. I’m excited about my new job because I think it’s a better fit for me. It’s a better fit for my skills and traits for sure. It also pays less than the manager job I have now but more than the job I had before that. There were two things that I had a hard time with in the last job. Number one being a manager means you’re responsible for managing whoever your manager decides. If you’re lucky that means you get a bunch of star employees who make your job easier and make you look great. However most likely you’ll get a mixed bag. My bag was a mix of one lifer, one new person and one somewhat ambitious person. The lifer could have cared less and just punched their card and complained to me almost every day until they realized I had no power and then tried complaining to my boss. The new person lied to me about being a CPA , I called them on it and they told me they were a candidate and just had to get more hours. This person didn’t seem to know a debit from a donut and was resistant to my efforts to impose some remedial training. The ambitious person was promoted to manager and replaced by another new person (who seems somewhat competent). I’m extremely introverted. Dealing with the people issues was way more draining than I expected. It was like having my soul sucked out some days dealing with them, my work and my two bosses. I took one of those psychological tests that score you for depression, I scored low moderate. It was really getting me down. I was working 10-14 hour days regularly. I took a vacation and before I left my one boss gave me negative feedback that I wasn’t “owning” my job and needed to “own” it. Very vague non-actionable feedback that haunted me throughout my vacation. When I got back from my vacation that same boss wouldn’t talk to me for a few days. I came into work and sat down at the desk next to her and she didn’t acknowledge me anymore than to say hi. After a day or two she told me that she was disappointed that I didn’t work on my vacation. She started sending me colourful emails detailing things she didn’t like about my work regularly. It was all negative all the time with her. It was her getting her boss in on the action too. “You need to own it buddy” , seriously WTF does that mean. I demanded objectives and priorities and got something like a to do list but it was better than nothing. It was her telling my employees things behind my back and me finding out from them later. Don’t get me wrong she’s not a bad person but at the same time her behaviour was so void of positivity it was like having a little cloud over your head at all times. I’ve also never seen so much turnover in a finance department before. Nobody blamed me for leaving, everyone just treated me like I was yet another turnover and wished me luck. Yeah there was money and a modicum of power but totally not worth it for me. So I am going into a job that has a combination of accounting and technology and no managing. If someone wants me to manage again I’ll maybe do one head, but only if I agree. I am happy to say good bye to this experiment and hello to my new role where there is very low turnover and my boss has been with the company 20 years.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 pm

Wow. That sounds horrible. Congratulations on walking away from that dumpster fire.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 pm

I wish you did something colorful to your bosses and said “You need to own it buddy” on the way out.

rube

Post by rube » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:24 am

Sometimes you need to get out your comfort zone to grow. Sometimes it is not about you and it will never work. You demonstrated you own your life by taking the right action. Good luck in the new job.
How is the family (read mostly baby) doing?

BlueNote

Post by BlueNote » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 pm

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 pm
I wish you did something colorful to your bosses and said “You need to own it buddy” on the way out.
I have been professional with her. I signed on for 3 weeks of notice but given I only worked there 5-6 months I asked for 2. She told me it was out of her hands. I told her to go to HR and tell them I want 2 and I'm fine not earning a 3rd weeks pay which benefits them. She just sent me an email that CC'd HR indicating that I was obliged to provide 3 weeks. I was like ok that's what I signed up for. I've also been working the exact 7.5 hour shifts that are spelled out on my contract, turning off my phone when I get home and that's it. It's work to rule baby. When I gave my notice she basically said nothing and went and told her boss I quit and then told all of my employees I quit and basically told everyone immediately. I would have liked to have broken the news but whatever. She then tried to hire a guy who helped train me and one of my employees in our first weeks. He declined even though it would have been a promotion and probably a raise. He would have been my first pick too. I think at this point she's starting to feel the pinch of a super hot job market and the fact that nobody in the company seems to want my old job. She's also a thoughtful person who can get things done, just some behaviour issues that don't fit with me.

BlueNote

Post by BlueNote » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:23 pm

rube wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:24 am
Sometimes you need to get out your comfort zone to grow. Sometimes it is not about you and it will never work. You demonstrated you own your life by taking the right action. Good luck in the new job.
How is the family (read mostly baby) doing?
Yeah I think getting out of my comfort zone taught me a lot about what I don't want to do and is leading me to what I want to do with my remaining career runway. It's better to sacrifice a little money for a lot of peace of mind and job satisfaction IMHO.

Family is doing alright

My son is in daycare, he seems to like it. He's quite active , likes the snow and likes to roll around in the dirt, sand and puddles. I dump sand out of his shoes almost every day. When I sing old McDonald had a farm, he will fill in the ee-I-ee-I-Oh parts right on cue.

My wife is transitioning back to full time employment. I am trying to take over some of her old duties so she doesn't feel like she has the world on her shoulders.

Working 10-14 hour days was having a negative impact on our relationship, every minute of work was a minute I couldn't spend with them.

BlueNote

Post by BlueNote » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:39 am

SavingWithBabies wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 pm
Wow. That sounds horrible. Congratulations on walking away from that dumpster fire.
Thanks