Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Dave

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by Dave »

Appreciate the tip, guys!

I suspected this was the case, but my equipment has a mid-torso strap rather than the hip belt. The shoulder straps do have padding, but at some point it’s not quite enough.

I need to consider possible adjustments here. For the duration walk I do my shoulders/traps have been able to adjust given a couple of weeks, but I suspect I’ll hit a physiological wall at some point well below the vest capacity (~225lb).

Agreed on front and back split loading @Scott 2, big fan.

Henry

Post by Henry »

June steps = 9,231 daily average = 4.29 miles
Year: 7,808 average per month up from 6,124 average per month last year

Walking has a contemplative side especially when hiking. Who the fuck knows what's right with this qualitative vs quantitive bullshit.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

This prompted me to check my steps as recorded by my phone. Numbers match Henry's pretty close. Fitness underachievers of ERE unite :muscle:

Henry

Post by Henry »

August Steps = 7,474 = 3.5 miles
Year: 7,760 average per month up from 6,124 average per month last year

Combination of heat and summer activities on the trail (inner city campers) brought numbers down but still broke baseline 7k steps.

Pilates was up but not counting days on that.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Dave wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:37 am
I'll be in Chicago late July early August and would be down for a training ruck at Elk Grove (or wherever) if you're interested. Can message here or DM, let me know!
Alright, for the two forum-Daves who were dumb or self-destructive enough to express some early interest in this, it's time to cash in the checks :mrgreen: What's your current level of enthusiasm on the "inverse backpedaling"-scale in terms of rucking for 2x12k=24k at Elk Grove/Busse Woods sometime this month?

The standard Bataan weight challenge is 35lbs for twice the distance about 6 months from now, so this is still just a training run. I figure weight is optional. I do plan to carry the full load with the intent to regret it afterwards. Since this is a suffer-fest and personal pace is determined by a stamina/load-ratio, I don't expect everybody to walk the same pace for the entire duration. However, we'll wait for the stragglers to come in. Maybe even send out a broom team to scrape people off the pavement. Figure it'll take ~4 hours total.

Of course, people named something else than Dave are also invited.

Add: It's also possible to walk for a single leisurely round of 12k and just hang out at base camp until the second rounders return. Here's the map: https://fpdcc.com/downloads/maps/trails ... p-9-16.pdf We're doing the red route (twice). It's all paved trail. Plenty of benches and restrooms along the way.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

As someone who lives near-ish, enjoys grueling workouts, and also has a four letter name that starts with D, I feel obligated to participate if I can :)

Please keep me in the loop.

Dave

Post by Dave »

jacob wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:42 am
Alright, for the two forum-Daves who were dumb or self-destructive enough to express some early interest in this, it's time to cash in the checks :mrgreen: What's your current level of enthusiasm on the "inverse backpedaling"-scale in terms of rucking for 2x12k=24k at Elk Grove/Busse Woods sometime this month?
Max enthusiasm :P.

The full 24k/2 loops works for me. I haven't rucked 35lb for much more than 3 miles in a single go so I'm not sure if I will do the full load, but I plan on rucking some weight.

Do you want to take discussion of timing and logistics off thread, or discuss here?

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I just finished my first ever walk with a 40lb weight vest (thanks for the brand rec @theanimal) in preparation for the Half Bataan Memorial Death March ERE Meetup/Sufferfest later this month.

Wearing the vest was more difficult than I thought it would be. My traps were burning by the end, and my neck was feeling it too. I got good and sweaty everywhere the vest was touching. I only went a couple miles. I was also walking and controlling two rambunctious 50lb dogs, which added to the challenge.

I got a few stares for wearing the weight vest, but not as many as I was expecting. I look forward to building up my tolerance over the next couple weeks. I also look forward to adding the shoulder pads that I didn’t bother putting in yet, hopefully that provides some relief. 

Lugging this weight for 13 miles through sticky midwestern heat should be interesting!

Henry

Post by Henry »

August Steps: 5,469 down to home improvement and being unable to leave home.
Annual: 7,283

Need to get back into groove. Will most likely start using extremely low impact weights before EOY.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

I started keeping an analog lifting log to track workout progress a couple years ago. I just finished my second log book last month.

From November 26, 2022 to August 23, 2023 I completed 160 lifting sessions, primarily with a push, pull, legs split. This doesn't include hiking, cycling, walking, yoga, or other stuff I do outside of the gym.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Regardind walking speed, i already solved this difficult enginneering problem for you.
It's a two step process, first find at which rythm you can force your legs to nearly effortlessly swing. For me it is about 110 bpm, a wee faster than staying alive, you can find it by walking in a straight line on concrete, and trying to push it slightly, until dimnishing returns starts. But unless you're in very bad shape, you should be close to your optimal already.
Then, get a feel for this rythm, and try to make longer steps. The sensation you should look for is a bouncing on tendons beetween your legs. This is what you have to counsciously try to improve to get a faster walking pace.
With this technique, i was able to get myself to a 7km/h average with a 35kg load.
Maintening it for 40km was trivial then. I thing any healthy person can achieve that.
Note that you'll lose it if you stop doing it regularly, like aby physical ability.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Ah, we report steps here? 30-day avg 14911, avg over past yr 8438 (yrly graph skews right since I moved this past July). To keep up the good work, I will continue not buying a scooter and walking at night when the weather is nice.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I can't believe this thread is 10 years old. It makes me sad to read through the first few pages. I used to love running. *sigh*

My current lifestyle keeps me much healthier and my baseline fitness is much more well-rounded. I take a 'move your DNA' approach to my homesteading project and only exercise to 'top off' what doesn't get utilized during my daily activities. No more tracking stuff, no more races, no more injuries, hardly ever sick.

Still ... I miss that person who jumped out of bed every morning ready to punch someone in the face. She had issues, but she was definitely high speed, low drag. I'm tempted to dust off my fitbit. :?

Henry

Post by Henry »

September Steps: 7,830. Met the baseline.
Annual Average: 7,533.

This might just be it until I die. Healthy attempt to get healthy.

I heard fights are breaking out on pickle ball courts. Makes me think I should give it a try while I'm still on the younger side of old man fights.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Been focused on McKenzie extension & flexion exercises. Trying to tackle these chronic lumbar issues once and for all instead of accepting the comfortable misery it has become.