Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Alphaville

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by Alphaville »

jennypenny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:25 am
trying to add planks to my workout but the elbow still
Any thoughts on what might be most effective, or the least likely way to injure myself?
consult with a physical therapist?

eta:
jennypenny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 am
I wish I could get my arm fixed. Stupid covid.
wait. what happened??
Last edited by Alphaville on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I did 100 burpees (full w/pushup) today for time. 5:34. That's my PR by like 30 sec. I only had to stop once. Feeling good.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Alphaville wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 pm
wait. what happened??
Last fall, I broke my elbow and tore the tricep tendon. The plan was six months of healing/PT and then have surgery to repair the tendon in May if needed. By March it was clear that the tendon would need surgery (although thankfully the breaks healed), but then covid happened and the surgery was postponed. I can have it done anytime but I'm worried about spending that much time in PT with covid still in the ether. My ortho said timing isn't critical with TJ surgery so it's ok to wait, but the restrictions and constant pain are getting old.

@Scott -- That's a great idea and I have two poufs that I think will work (they are for extra seating on movie night). I can't believe I didn't think of them. Thanks!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

jennypenny wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:12 am
I'm worried about spending that much time in PT with covid still in the ether. My ortho said timing isn't critical with TJ surgery so it's ok to wait, but the restrictions and constant pain are getting old.
i get pt via telehealth and got my own equipment at home

this has sped up with covid:
https://www.apta.org/your-practice/prac ... h-practice

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I ran today for the first time in forever. I'd forgotten how much I love running (and rungasms :D ). Nothing hurts yet so that's a good sign, although at my age the real test comes when I wake up tomorrow.

The planks on the poufs worked. The poufs also allow me to do superman and swan dive poses to add some difficulty.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i don’t understand the pouf business. the only thing it prevents is a hypothetical small fall.

if your triceps is busted, why not take it out of the equation ans just do planks on elbows?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I can't lean on my elbow. I'm not supposed to put any weight on it at all until it's fixed. I can't even rest it on the arm of a chair without pain.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

jennypenny wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:38 am
I can't lean on my elbow. I'm not supposed to put any weight on it at all until it's fixed. I can't even rest it on the arm of a chair without pain.
oh so you got a broken bone??

im having a hard time visualizing. but that’s my problem not yours. if you know what works for you that’s what matters.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

deleted ... unnecessarily snarky
Last edited by jennypenny on Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

indeed. best wishes with recovery!

i got a new strap today to hook my resistance bands to non-doors (poles, trees, etc.)

if i had the equipment and skills to sew i could have made my own, but i had to pay retail due to my limitations. nevertheless it’s very well constructed from cordura nylon and rubber, so i don’t expect having to rebuy for decades.

i’ve been getting good results from bands and might go down that exercise rabbit hole. no weights, no plates, no rust, no transportation hurdles.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

theanimal wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:17 am
I joined a friend in a 10k swing challenge. 60 # KB 500 per day, 2 days on 1 off. I've been doing 5 sets of 50, 25, 15, 10. My first day I clocked in at 27:32 and yesterday was the 2nd day and about a minute later. It really works the forearms. I'm curious to see how much my time can improve at the end, Under 20 min would be vey cool.
animal: Are you still doing this? If so I'd love to hear your progress. I decided to do this as well, with my first 2 days being Monday and Tuesday of this week. Today's a rest day and then I do Thursday and Friday, and then repeat for the following 4 weeks. I'm impressed you got under 30 minutes--my first day was 46 mins, and the second was 43--though I'm doing 10x push-ups and squats in between each set of swings (works out to about 100 push-ups and 60-70 squats per day).

I definitely should do it 50-25-15-10, instead of doing 10-15-25-50. By the time I get to the 50 it's very difficult for me to hold on to the KB--I suspect before the end of this challenge I'll have a KB-sized hole in the drywall.

I probably need to start wearing gloves, as my pathetic officeworker hands are all blistered up.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Glad you decided to join in! Yes, I'm still doing it. Today is Day 12 for me. I can imagine the pushups and squats make it much harder so don't beat yourself up about having a different time. Mine is only swings. The first two days were the hardest for me.
Recovery and the actual work period itself have been much quicker since that point. I've been experimenting with different set break ups and periods of rest the past few. For Days 6-9, I would do sets of 40 with the first 2-4 being 1:30 in length (swings then rest whatever is left) then 1:40 for the next two and 1:45 for the remainder. This worked really well. The past 2 days I have been doing 10 sets of 50, with 2 minutes allocated for each.

Day 1:27:32
2: 28:24
3: 25:22
4: 27:05
5: 22:42
6: 21:37
7: 20:05
8: 19:49
9: 20:39
10: Moose hunting. Completed but not timed. 1 working period of 200 and 1 of 300 broken up in sets of 50.
11: 19:34

I do 50 swings in about 1:20 to 1:30 so theoretically my lower limit is somewhere near 13 min at the moment.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Well done! Even after 2 days I feel like I'm walking a bit more upright than normal; yesterday afternoon I was especially sore in all those sitting down muscles.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

@Alphaville, I use loop tied down straps to attach my chains to the barbell. They might provide another (cheap) option for you with bands:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loop+tie+dow ... _ss_i_1_13

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Scott 2 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:26 pm
@Alphaville, I use loop tied down straps to attach my chains to the barbell. They might provide another (cheap) option for you with bands:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loop+tie+dow ... _ss_i_1_13
thanks!

the anchor i bought is this (stronger than door)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O0UOJC/

which while pricier by unit than a tiedown strap does have ad-hoc rubber application to extend the life of the resistance bands.

but i’m also now running a dowel through the holes of my elastic straps. functions a bit like this:

http://legendfitness.com/wp-content/upl ... utX3_1.jpg

it’s the low-rent version of that setup, with multiple cheap bands, like the ones people attach to doors.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1mxQwKeOS ... g-Body.jpg

(lol @ dude’s facial expression)

i just keep adding bands as i max.

i got started with therabands, but they’re too soft for things like squats. ok for small muscle groups like wrists/forearms etc or for injury recovery (hence the “thera-” prefix)

eventually i suppose i might graduate to the heavy stuff as displayed in that image, but 1) they’re $$$, 2) i’m resisting every tendency to do so too quickly, lest i tear a muscle or smash a cartilage or something (my life’s habit)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

That strap isn't too expensive. I hadn't seen the band bar before. It looks fun.

The heavy duty bands are layered and much more durable than general fitness bands. Elite FTS should have a "better than black friday" sale coming up in early November. Typically they are selling the heavy duty bands at more then 50% off. I'd guess it is at their cost.

I personally prefer using two mini bands over messing with a bigger band. It's just easier to deal with the tension when setting up the bands.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

oh, the setup for that x3 band is $600

https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/products/x3-bar/

maybe some day, ha ha ha.

meanwhile yeah please hook me up on any info on bands. i’m new to this type of gear and i know nothing, so i’d be most grateful. i’ll go look for elite fts in the meantime.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Hey, if he can get $600 for a band system, good for him. Personally, I'd rather have each hand move freely.

I have found holding the bands directly becomes limiting. They tear up the skin or grip holds me back. I'll wear cotton gloves if holding them, but also make use of these handles for face pulls, rotator cuff work, triceps and curls:

I've been able to do seated leg curls at home with a low anchor and this attachment:

https://www.spud-inc-straps.com/hamstinger-deluxe.html

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Scott 2 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:49 pm
brilliant, thanks. i have the semi-beginner version of all that, which i bought for rehab/covid

i’m quickly getting to the limit of their resistance so these things you’re sharing show me a path forward.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Here are the handles DW made out of webbing, a tri-slide buckle, and some existing handles (could also use PVC tubing). The rubber is blue theraband. This design mimics the replaceable band handles. Useful for when the rubber eventually wears out. I don't know if one can double/triple/... the rubber and still have it hold. She bought enough material to make a few more, but I'd guesstimate the total cost to be $7 for the blue rubber and $3 for the handle set.