the animal's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: the animal's journal

Post by theanimal »

@mF and @gp- Thanks! First step will be upgrading some of the ghetto/noob style stuff I built in the house. Mrs. Animal and I both independently came to the conclusion after walking in to the house that our stuff looked like crap. :lol:

@swb- Good to know. I'll have access to a friend's heated garage. I still need to do more research to see if the parts I've been looking at are adequate. Otherwise I think I should be good to go, just need to rent a torque wrench.
jacob wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:18 am
@theanimal - Did you guys by any chance cover finishing/varnishing/staining at the woodworking school ... or was it all au natural with shellac or paste wax at max?
Not really much beyond the natural stuff. We used shellac, tung oil, linseed oil, and liquid beeswax. They taught us about milk paint as well and some people used it for some of their projects. We also had somewhat of an introduction to ebonizing. That's about it though. The room/shop we were working out of was built in ~1905 and was made of concrete, so it had pretty poor air circulation and they didn't want anyone using anything with volatile organic compounds inside. @reepicheep used a combination of some marine and other finishes for her haybox but otherwise most people used the natural stuff.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Those pieces look amazing. Looking forward to seeing the cabin transformation hah! I also really appreciate your documenting this. A great case study of rapid skill acquisition.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Baby animal is almost to the 7 month mark and it feels like each week we are realizing there is more and more stuff related to her that we don't need. Prior to the birth, we were very skeptical of Big Baby ™ (as @Dave would say), and went without many of the things that were deemed necessary. The first wake up to our excess came on our trip to the southwest. After the accident with the Scamp in Canada, we had to compress what we had to fit into our car. We realized we had brought a ridiculous amount of clothes for baby animal, even considering we'd be gone for 5 months, and left probably about 75% of them with our friend in Canada until we return. Other things that we had decided to go without initially, like strollers, cribs, or play pens, have presented no issue to date. We carry baby animal everywhere, sometimes in a pack or front carrier, but often in our arms. Having done it since birth, our muscles have adapted and it can be done without issue for long durations, as mentioned a few pages back in this journal. After arriving home, we have gotten rid of the bulk of her clothes as well as some of the toys that were given to her. We still have a handful of toys that were gifted from grandparents, but she is usually more than content to play with anything that is around. whether that be a headlamp, a playing card, headphones or a piece of clothing. Baby animal sleeps with us or on the couch during the day, freeing us from having to have a crib or bassinet. Normally we are in the same room when she is sleeping, but in the rare event we need a monitor, we use our phones. We did get a bassinet for free last summer off Craigslist, and will now be gifting it to another friend who is having a baby this summer. In sum, the only things we have really needed for baby animal are a few pieces of clothes (a lot less than expected, and then less than that!) and some diapers. Total expenses to date have been $241*. I expect we will learn how excessive we are even now after hiking the PCT this summer.

*Excluding medical costs. We had the pleasure of receiving yet another bill from her birth a few weeks ago, bringing the grand total to ~$12.5k out of pocket. And the funny thing is that we all have medicare this year. Just a few months too late.

Neither of us has the intention of depriving her in any way in lieu of some higher goal such as saving money, it's more that we don't think any of the stuff is necessary and there are better alternatives. Big Baby ™ takes advantages of sleep deprived and time starved parents who are still prioritizing corporate careers. For those that don't place that much importance on the corporate environment and have a wealth of time, attention, some patience and occasionally a little muscle usually suffices for much of the commercial alternatives and productized solutions.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

I feel like babies need very little if things are going well, but that we’ve accumulated a lot of Big Baby (TM) junk trying to debug things when they go poorly since every baby is different and nobody knows which tactics will end up working for yours (she says staring at four different types of diaper cream, anti-fungal ointment, puppy pads, disposable and cloth diapers— many combinations of which have been tried to battle an on again off again diaper rash).

I feel you on the medical bills, we ended up hitting our OOP max pretty quickly.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

theanimal wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:56 pm
We also got pigs! 3 pigs of which 2 are ours and 1 of which is our friend's. Our friend's have a pig pen from prior years and we have gone in with them in a co-op style model.
Excuse the journal detour, but I've never known someone who has taken care of both pigs and dogs, so I wanted to ask — was it ever hard to raise pigs for food? Not physically hard, but emotionally hard, from a "these are decently cute creatures that are pretty smart and kinda like dogs" perspective? Did you ever feel any attachment to the pigs? My guess is you have an interesting perspective on this, especially as a former vegan (though from what I understand you were doing it for health purposes, not animal welfare purposes).

No judgements, just genuinely curious. For full disclosure I am vegan but I really try not to be annoying about it :)

One person raising a few well treated pigs for food is the least of my concerns when it comes to the many animal welfare issues going on in the world.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@BI- Don't get me wrong, I think Big Baby ™ stuff can be useful when necessary, like in the case of dealing with monkey butt. The way I see it though is that most people view that as the default without trying (or knowing I suppose) alternative or more traditional approaches.
Smashter wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:53 am
Excuse the journal detour, but I've never known someone who has taken care of both pigs and dogs, so I wanted to ask — was it ever hard to raise pigs for food? Not physically hard, but emotionally hard, from a "these are decently cute creatures that are pretty smart and kinda like dogs" perspective? Did you ever feel any attachment to the pigs? My guess is you have an interesting perspective on this, especially as a former vegan (though from what I understand you were doing it for health purposes, not animal welfare purposes).
Detours welcomed!

I didn't really struggle with the emotional aspect of it too much. We knew from the start that their purpose was to provide meat so we already had that context going into it. I guess fair disclosure that I am not won over easily by the cuteness of domestic animals, my dog for example lives outside. The hardest part of hunting or raising pigs is just after you pull the trigger and the animal is down, or worse wounded. That is the emotionally taxing part that still gets to me each time. I do see it as a sacred act, especially so when it comes to hunting but the same holds true for the pigs as well. However, it is amazing within a couple minutes of beginning to dress out the animal how everything just becomes meat and the living aspect is removed. It becomes easier then.

During the time leading up to their end, the pigs were fun but they lost their cute and cuddly aspects really quick haha. For example, we transported the 3 piglets from the woman we bought them from in the back of my Subaru Forester. For the first 10 minutes or so of the drive they were squealing and trying to jump out through the windows(closed) or past the dog crate that we had erected as a barrier, until finally calming down and lying side by side like little hot dogs. After we got them out and into their pen, I had the pleasure of spending an hour cleaning up pig shit out of the back of my car. :lol: Otherwise, they were semi-wild and we determined they were at least as smart as a 4 year old, judging by the amount of times they and our friends' 4 year old touched the electric fence.

Another way that I looked at it was almost like a Something from Nothing. As in, we were taking rotting food that would otherwise get thrown out and be able to transform it into high quality meat. The idea of getting animals and then feeding them corn/soy/grain does not really appeal to me and is the primary reason why we don't have any chickens. I'm straying from your original question now, so I'll stop here.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

theanimal wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:49 pm
We determined they were at least as smart as a 4 year old, judging by the amount of times they and our friends' 4 year old touched the electric fence.
Ha! I constantly have to stop myself from always comparing the intelligence of my dogs to that of my nephews (age 4 and 1), so as to not insult them. Let's just say that besides the ability to speak english the dogs still seem to have the advantage :D
theanimal wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:49 pm
Another way that I looked at it was almost like a Something from Nothing. As in, we were taking rotting food that would otherwise get thrown out and be able to transform it into high quality meat. The idea of getting animals and then feeding them corn/soy/grain does not really appeal to me and is the primary reason why we don't have any chickens.
I think it's awesome you were able to feed them in that way. I was recently reading about the absurdly large percentage of crops that are only grown for livestock consumption. It doesn't seem sustainable.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Glad to hear everything is continuing to go well!

Again, it's great to hear how you guys are approaching having a little one. This resonates:
theanimal wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:03 pm
For those that don't place that much importance on the corporate environment and have a wealth of time, attention, some patience and occasionally a little muscle usually suffices for much of the commercial alternatives and productized solutions.
Re. the pigs and @Smashter's comment, I can't speak to raising animals but can echo @theanimal's comments about hunting. I won't say this is true for everyone, but the moment right before you pull the trigger is emotionally powerful and the sacredness hits hard. I sometimes get a feeling that some non-hunters think all hunters are ruthless murderers, but I know many hunters who feel as we are talking about here. It's a bit deal. A bad shot that injures but doesn't quickly kill the animal is a very upsetting thing - I detest bad shots and will abstain from shooting when I don't think I have a very, very high odds shot. I come at it from a place of appreciation and recognition of what is happening. I would imagine it's the same thing with slaughtering animals you raise - you don't love doing it, but on the net it is worthwhile and you are aware of what it means.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Work and transition musings
I wasn’t sure how my boss was going to react to me hiking the PCT this year. I didn’t really have the intention of quitting but was prepared to move on if need be. The conversation with him went something like this.

“My wife and I are going to hike the Pacific Crest Trail starting in July”
“How long will you be gone?”
“About 5 months”
“So you probably won’t have service anywhere on the trail?”
“No, not really. We will in the towns we pass through along the way.”
“Oh yeah, you won’t want to do that then. Ok, we’ll have to find someone to do your stuff until you come back”

A lot different than I expected! So as of now, I still have a job. I still think that I should do something else. The business is growing like crazy and is doing extremely well but my position within the company does not facilitate any kind of personal growth, serious skill acquisition or the day to day life in which I desire to live. By traditional metrics, I would be stupid to leave such a job. Fortunately for me, I don’t enjoy living or judging myself by traditional metrics. I think more than anything, it is making me soft with the expected large paycheck every two weeks. I think I would be better off and enjoy things more if I embraced some uncertainty. One of my friends who runs the forestry program said I could hop on for short term work anytime I like and the friend I did the lynx work with started a new job recently and said I can join for some short term field work anytime. Both unprompted. They would be enjoyable and at least in the case of forestry, would cover a substantial amount of yearly expenses. So it isn’t for lack of options. Nor of things to do. I think I have a better grasp on the concept of golden handcuffs now.

In Tim Ferriss’ recent interview with Derek Sivers, they talked a little bit about this theme. The below quote stuck out to me.
Derek Sivers said:
Or there’s another option, which is someone who has played a game for so long. Let’s just say it’s finances. They finally “win” in quotation marks. They no longer need to work to meet their needs, but they have played one game for so long they don’t know what other game to play. And that Paradox of Choice anxiety leads them to continue playing the same game. I know so many examples of people who have won. They’ve won the Oscar. They’ve made a gazillion dollars, done whatever. They don’t have the same love perhaps they once did for that game, but they continue to play it because subconsciously or consciously they do not know what else to do.

So those people, I think absolutely should. Somebody needs to kick them out of the nest, shake them out of their habits. Go do something else.
Cooking without gas
I made a rocket stove out of old tomato cans and am working on making a solar cooker now following this design. We have a gas stove in our kitchen, and I am planning on doing an experiment in not cooking with gas for ~30 days starting at the end of this month. I think both new cookers, combined with my pressure cooker and maybe a fireless cooker, should provide a lot of versatility and ease.

House projects
I put up the window trim in our house slowly over the past couple weeks and am about to get going on the crown molding. It’s amazing how much better a house can look when it’s finished haha. The only thing that’s technically left house wise is the baseboard but we aren’t planning on putting that in anytime soon. On to improving our bed frame…

PCT
All of our food has been planned out for our resupply boxes and everything has now been purchased. Our mailed boxes comprise about ¾ of the total food on our trek. We elected to go this route to maintain control over our food options and have better choices nutritionally (ie eating real food). I am very happy with the variety and nutritional quality of what we have selected. Our total spending is at about $700 per person for what will be ~3.5 mo of food. From what I can gather, this is low compared to the average hiker. Much of this I attribute to doing things ourselves, from dehydrating beans and lentils to making our own bars to incorporating salmon (that we will hopefully catch in a month). That end cost will increase as we will have to ship out the food via large flat rate boxes at $22.80/ pop. We will be able to fit about 5 days of food per person into each box and will use somewhere between 60-70 boxes total. So roughly an additional $700 some dollars per person. We are planning to shop while in route at big box grocery stores at the remaining ¼ of resupply points that will not have mailed boxes.

Gear wise we bought some primaloft and nylon ripstop (~$70 total) and will be making a double quilt sometime this month. I have been poring over @sky’s posts in his journal about quilt making and he was kind enough to provide some additional pointers. This will be my first sewing project, so we’ll see how it goes!

Over the course of last month, Mrs. Animal and I trolled the used marketplaces online and picked up 5 pairs a piece of some very high-quality used shoes. An interesting note is that women’s shoes on the marketplace seem to be priced about half that of men’s. Not sure if it’s lack of demand or supply or what. But either way Mrs. Animal made out like a bandit, and I ended up spending about $55 per pair including shipping for shoes that retail for $120. Those are the only two items we needed to obtain, otherwise, we will be using gear and clothes that we already own.

Those were really the only things we needed to obtain. We are trying to stay as light as possible since Mrs. Animal’s base weight (all packed gear minus food and water) will be kind of high and constantly increasing with baby animal in tow. As it stands at the moment, Mrs. Animal’s base weight is at 14 lbs sans baby animal and my pack is at 16 lbs. Not bad. Those will be close to the final numbers and will likely change depending on how we allocate gear between us. Baby animal is doing her best to help intensify our training by growing like a weed. She is 90th percentile for weight at 20 lbs, so who knows what she’ll be come July, let alone deep into the fall.

Cost wise we are looking at an estimated $2.2k per person for the 5 months of travel. Most of that is already spent and roughly ¾ of the total is for food/food shipping. We have no intention of spending much time in towns or hotels along the way, only doing so if necessary due to injury. So, with that in mind, we should be spending near 0 once we hit the trail. Overall, not too bad for 5 months. I would be hard pressed to see how someone could go significantly lower cost wise.

Post PCT
We have also been planning out what we are going to do following our hike. Our thoughts have been that we may as well take advantage of our proximity to Mexico and extend our trip southward. So far, the idea has been to travel along Baja via kayak, bus and hiking then hop over to the mainland. We would continue south through Oaxaca and Chiapas then into Guatemala before ending the trip visiting with Mrs. Animal’s family in Costa Rica. A week ago, I received a message from one of my uncle’s stating that he has rented a home for 2 months towards the end of next winter in Porto, Portugal and extended an invitation to all of my extended family to join him and his wife for as long as we are interested. Mrs. Animal and I are very much interested. If we go, we’d like to stay for at least the full 90 days of the Schengen visa, spending most of that time biking or hiking around the continent. The European Divide Trail has caught our interest and could serve as a good structure for a trip. We don’t have to decide anytime soon and will continue to scheme whether it makes sense to combine both trips and extend our sojourn or just pick one of them or do something else.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Nice! Sounds like you can't go wrong. I love the boss conversation.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@theanimal, Ferris and other super rich ppl/celebrities aren't very good to listen to. A lot of them, especially the self-help types, became rich via selling self-help. They didn't actually build anything. Your WFH job sounds nice and stable, perfect to let you grow outside of work via starting your own company to solve a problem outside of work. If you WFH, you can also live or travel literally anywhere in the western hemisphere and be good as far as time zones within 5 hours (if you happen to be in the eastern time zone, working for a company in AK).

PCT is cool, an ex of mine did it along with the AT; she recommended the PCT way more, as it's more varied and secluded

European divide trail sounds cool, I'd never heard of it until now. There's one in New Zealand called the TA.

I've found road trips to be more congruent with "real life," not even a cushy WFH job let's you be a thru-hiker lol. I wonder if most of the ppl doing long trails are students, are in b/w jobs, have seasonal jobs, or are FI

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Ferriss and Sivers both built successful companies before they did anything else. Also, being so rich you don't have to work anymore miiiight have something to do with being FI... No?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Dunno about Sivers, but Ferris most known for the FHWW, which is pretty much a self-help/get-rich-quick type of book, and his first company was selling a brain supplement. Everything after that seems to be podcaster, blogger, marketer, etc. I dunno, tired of gurus getting rich off our backs. It’s kinda scary applying advice of these celebrity-like ppl to our basic lives, cause their advice often doesn’t work in reality and may not even be intended to. Definitely like the idea of building successful company, but it’s getting harder to tell which businesses/ppl are scams & which aren’t

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I haven't read Ferriss' books and don't have a desire to live like him. I do like listening to his podcast as he has on people with interesting backgrounds that often have worthwhile things to say. Sometimes he gets too hung up on specific details that don't matter and are just survivorship bias (hello Tools of Titans) and also seems to spend too much time analyzing things versus actually doing what he says he wants to do. But yeah, there is useful stuff there and I harbor no ill will against him.

The above quote does remind me of FI as @AH mentioned. Many people get so focused on a goal then when the time comes to do the thing they've actually been working towards, they've become so conditioned to their current environment that they cannot leave it. In one of the recent New Escapologist's issues there was a picture of a piece of art that was a glass box/cage with a work desk inside. That is what I fear, basically becoming a prisoner of my own making due to comfort and a lack of willingness to take on adversity and uncertainty. I think that plays a role in one more year syndrome but is not exclusive to being FI and could be applicable to someone on the semi-ERE path afraid to take on a different project or do something new. In my experience, the times that have been most enjoyable and have opened up the most opportunities is when I stepped off the path of certainty. That quote was a good reminder.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

I came to respect Tim Ferriss when he posted an incredibly vulnerable episode discussing trauma and childhood sexual abuse. I think it's important to see everyone as human. I also was put off by a lot of his work around the 4HWW and the idea of just exporting all the work you don't like to India - seemed way to colonial for me to be interested.

I can relate to the fear of growing too comfortable. After deciding *not* to quit money and live in a cave, I spent most of the last year trying to figure out how to live in the culture. Eventually found the cool subcultures in my area where I feel at home. I know I'm not supposed to stay here but shit I've got stability and a support system.

I'm reminded of Terence McKenna's quote that when you hurl yourself into the abyss you often find a feather bed. I think that he's right.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Another reason that people tend to stick to their game is that it allows them to keep playing at an advanced level whereas switching to another game means having to play the new game at a simple or even chaotic level.

I know some of you embrace uncertainty or chaos for the sake of it. Because it keeps you sharp or whatever, but whether this sharpness is necessary really depends on what type of game one enjoys.

The Cynefin framework (see picture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynefin_f ... _Stoop.jpg ) describes this really well.

As people get more experienced in a given game, they tend to move counter-clockwise around the quadrants starting from chaos, going to simple, to complicated, and finally to dealing with the complex. Insofar there's unforeseen problems, the focus goes clockwise, essentially trying the next simpler solution ... and then counterclockwise back again once resolved.

I believe that individuals have a natural preference for how they like to solve problems. It always starts with chaos and then goes counterclockwise, but once it hits the personal preference, people stop looking.

In particular, unless one really thrives in chaos (SD:Red) or is stuck in a bad place, hitting the reset button back to chaos may not provide the best ergodicity.

The reason for going as far counterclockwise as possible is that it allows one to do increasingly more advanced things. Again, advanced games is not everyone's cup of tea, but it should not be discarded lightly.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I'll throw out an assumption - you are easy to work with and well like at your job. Your boss wants to keep a valued team member. They might work with you, to design a suitable role.

Money's pretty nice. As your family matures, needs may change. It could be worth keeping a foot in the door, even if it's only a day or two per week.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

theanimal wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:42 pm
The European Divide Trail has caught our interest and could serve as a good structure for a trip. We don’t have to decide anytime soon and will continue to scheme whether it makes sense to combine both trips and extend our sojourn or just pick one of them or do something else.
Thanks for sharing this, I hadn't heard of it!

There is also this one which seems fun and is on my list: https://en.eurovelo.com/ev1

Jim

Post by Jim »

The complex category of the Cynefin network represents the peak efficiency, lowest entropy state. Unanticipated problems produce a clockwise drift, or major clockwise setbacks. Work your way through self applied synthetic clockwise drift to stabilize and deepen your position in the complex state. You've done this by clarifying with your boss your plans to hike the PCT, and it seems to have worked out in your favor! It's great to see people self advocating in the workplace.

You've introduced chaos in a granular way, focusing on a detail of your work situation, as opposed to introducing it broadly. An example of broadly introduced chaos would be pursuing the forestry job option. Keeping your options open is a fine state to be in as long as it doesn't stress you out.

If financial independence is a singular goal, best to game the network narrowly towards a complexity that is reslient to that end.

I hope you have a blast on the PCT, your planning/budgeting is on point. The trail is not far from my house and we do day hikes to the Kendall Catwalk. We're hoping to do the J section later this summer with the kids.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@the animal - You continue to inspire. Thanks for that update. The conversation with your boss made me laugh and reminded me that I'm probably overthinking a similar conversation I need to have with my own. I listened to the Dereck Sivers interview last week and gravitated towards that theme in the conversation as well. I appreciated his discussion of renouncing citizenship as a means of propelling him to a new lifestyle and new challenges - and the drawbacks that resulted from that approach.

2b1s had looked into some hiking options in Portugal, and I think there are lots of different possibilities in Europe with different lengths, styles, etc. I linked to some interesting coastal options in Spain:

viewtopic.php?p=250507#p250507

I'm curious about your philosophy on balancing the homestead with travel. What are you doing with your dogs? Did you intentionally refrain from setting up the cabin and land in a way that would preclude you from long-term travel?