Say hello!!
darrellgm

Post by darrellgm »

Hi everyone, I am a newbie at all this. Forum posting, investing, making my own money. So basically I have been working a 9-5 job working for someone. I am tired and ready to be my own boss. Im looking into investing. Any good books or suggestions? Will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

spearson1937

Post by spearson1937 »

Hi! I am also a newbie in this forum and working online as freelance writer.

frugaladventurer

Post by frugaladventurer »

I'd suggest reading Your Money or Your Life to start. While some of the investing advice may be a little dated (the original book was written when bond interest rates were very very high), the book as a whole is the best I think for helping you be really CONSCIOUS about your spending and aware of the financial choices you are making.
You say you think you'd like to work for yourself - that CAN be a good choice, but make sure you are realistic about self-employment too. I'm self-employed. I enjoy the freedom to do things my way. I don't enjoy the long hours, the increased responsibility, the higher taxes (because you pay both halves of social security taxes when you're self employed), or the insecurity (will I keep getting new clients?). (Of course, many of these things would be non-issues if I achieved Financial Independence and could work just a little for the love of it, instead of worrying about paying my bills with it.)
It's been the right choice for me, but wouldn't be for every body. Do you have some idea of what field of self employment you would pursue? Do you know anyone doing that now that you could talk to or shadow?