Rube's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
rube

Re: Rube's journal

Post by rube »

50 weeks - 345 days - target
Sunday. Just finished checking all the final-concept documents for the transfer of the 2 apartments. Now enjoying a bit a relaxing Sunday this afternoon. And prepare tonight the final inspections for the apartments tomorrow before the transfer the next morning.
While I was quite stressed earlier this week, I am okay now again. Actually already looking at a new potential RE investment :lol:, though that might be a long-shot.

rube

Post by rube »

49 weeks - 344 days - target
Had an pre-inspection of on apartment in the morning, worked in the afternoon, had inspection at the 2nd place in the evening. Driving from one place to work to another, to home. Busy from 7AM-9PM. Tomorrow one final inspection before the transfer at the Notary. Then work in the afternoon. Busy....but getting close to finalizing these deals and renting the vacant one out.

rube

Post by rube »

49 weeks - 343 days - target
I was off from work today in order to do a last inspection, go to the notary etc. And the result is that as of this afternoon we own 2 more apartments. Apt.5: some minor work to do (cleaning, install some lights) and hopefully it will be rented out soon smoothly. Apt. 6: some more serious renovation, but only after current tenant will leave, which should be May next year.

It is hot. And it will be even hotter tomorrow and Thursday. "They" expect we will get a new temperature record this Thursday. I'll probably go to the office, where the temperature is lower and I will be more productive/feel better. I am actually fairly okay with hot weather, but not when I need to work (a lot) :lol:.

rube

Post by rube »

49 weeks - 342 days - target
Hi Bigato, there is certainly a risk involved to have so much in RE, but there are indeed a couple of (local) circumstances why I believe the risk is acceptable for us. One very important aspect for me personally is that rents are very stable here, even in economic bad times, which helps with a reliable monthly cashflow. The chance of vacancy and costs for maintenance does increase with multiple apartments, but the impact of this decrease. And we maintain a large liquid buffer in case of tshtf.

We only own real estate, other then our own house, for 4 years now. But I have been interested in it almost all my life. I remember that even as a student I was looking into a possibility to own RE to live cheap and/or to even make some money. But I never dared or was able to how get certain things organized. If I only would have known back then what I know now, well....

I actually viewed another property today :roll:, but I haven't decided yet if it is possibly interesting enough.

Furthermore I worked today for about 3/4 day in the office.

rube

Post by rube »

49 weeks - 341 days - target
If I would write in the style inspired by @Jason, I would say about today that it was as hot as it would be when some lady, whom I don't know and has an unpronoucable name to me, would be doing certain things, of which I can probably only ever dream of and don't even dare to write about, to me or some other dude, of which I also only can say "who the h#ll is that dude", in a f#$ piece of land in some sh3# country, which I have to look up on Wikipedia, while hanging up side down in the burning sun.

Since I am not Jason and I can't even get to a beginners level of his fabulous style, I will simply say, it was pretty hot today with temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius (that is about 104 fahrenheit for those persons preferring the other scale).

One day down and one day closer to the 2 degrees increase.

rube

Post by rube »

49 weeks - 340 days - target
Friday afternoon, another workweek passed by. 2 more weeks and we have summer holiday.

I just received news that the first viewings for Apt. #6 will be this Wednesday, hopefully (some) of these people are suitable and do want to rent it. Let's see... Tomorrow DW, DD, DS and I will all go to clean, install some lights and make it ready for the viewing. Ofcourse I want to make sure all is okay for the viewing, but partly also to show to the kids what we're doing, how to make some money besides our work etc. and have them involved a little bit.

rube

Post by rube »

49 weeks - 339 days - target
Went with the whole family to apt. # 6 to clean, install lights to make it ready for the viewings. Went out for dinner afterwards (to celebrate a couple of things).
Now on our way to home.

rube

Post by rube »

49 weeks - 338 days - target
I went to Apt. #6 in the morning to do some last things. I planned to be ready around noon, but I finally stopped at 6pm and I am still not happy about a few minor things, but it is (more then) okay for a rental.
We're aiming at 3 students for this rental. College/Universities will start again begin September, so all new students will need to find a place between now and end of August. Hopefully we can have it rented out by mid August, latest end of August to minimise vacancy.

rube

Post by rube »

48 weeks - 337 days - target
What can I say, just a Monday at the office...nothing especially good or bad. Perhaps more inspiration tomorrow.

rube

Post by rube »

48 weeks - 336 days - target
When I started this job 8.5 years ago I was excited, I woke up and was ready to go and the days flew by and I learned a ton.
Now, I teach a lot to to others, but it is getting boring repeating 90% of the time the same trick. It is energy draining.
If I would not have the end goal so close, I probably would have been looking for another job. Or not, because of the golden handcuffs...

Sometimes I am thinking if they ask me to stay in some way, when would it be interesting enough for me to do so.
First of all, I certainly like certain parts of the job. But not for so many hours. So that would need to change for sure and is probably the most important part. But, even if we would be able to realize that, if I am staying responsible for certain things, am I able to really disconnect enough when I am "off"? I don't know. I remember that C40 was able to arrange something like 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, which lasted only a few months.
A possible solution for this is to be more in an consultancy role for certain projects only and not all the day to day business.
If they would ask me, I would probably require to to have off 6 weeks during July-August 2020, work 16-20 hours max, in a kind of consultancy role, more guiding others. Even working only 16 hrs / week, would generate enough income to cover about 75% of our expenses. So financially it would be interesting. But then, I am driven so long by finances and savings rates, do I still need this? These type of thoughts come up frequently. Partly because of the insecurity about not having an income from labour, partly well, because they might ask me. I don't think there is a good or wrong here. We'll see, how I feel in the coming months and if they even would ask me.

In any case tomorrow is the last day of this first month. And in August we have (partly) our summer holiday, so that month will pass by quickly also. I hope and expect that the holiday will do me good and my energy level will improve again.

rube

Post by rube »

48 weeks - 335 days - target
And that was the first of 12 months....

Financials of July:
Expenses* 2597 euro (TTM 3221 euro)
Income** 12129 euro (TTM 13433 euro)
Saved 9532 euro, 79% (TTM 10212, 76%)

*not included in expenses are closing fees, notary etc. This is all added to the amount of "invested" in apt # 5 and apt # 6.
**income is including rental income

NW 920K, down 6K due to closing costs etc. Next month another 5K of expenses related to the purchase of Apt # 5 and 6, but NW should grow again.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Bye, July! The last July as a work bee, for you :-)

rube

Post by rube »

48 weeks - 334 days - target
Worked from home today.
In the evening DW and I went for a short bike ride to the city centre, had some food and a stroll around to enjoy the nice summer. We (I) should do this more often, but often we're too busy with al kind of other things (work/kids) that we don't often have/make time for such simple but enjoyable and relaxing activities.

@Dutchgirl : yes, bye bye :D

rube

Post by rube »

48 weeks - 333 days - target
And another workweek passed by!
Worked from home. Again. And took off the last two hours to prepare a couple of salads for a real estate meetup I am going to in a few minutes. Although I am an introvert, or at least used to be, I like to meet new people (some of them are new to me this evening) and exchange ideas, knowledge etc. Should be fun!
Happy weekend all (especially for those still in the rat race :lol: )

rube

Post by rube »

48 weeks - 332 days - target
I enjoyed the meetup last night. Interesting people with different experiences and stories.
This weekend is a weekend of visiting family and family visiting us. Very nice, but little time to do my "own" thing.

rube

Post by rube »

48 weeks - 331 days - target
I enjoyed the Sunday, slept in, worked on some administrative tasks, cleaned up the house and walked to the grocery store. Family came over and we had a nice relaxing time incl. dinner in the garden.

I was chatting with DW about next year, possibilities etc.
For one of my tasks I am the only person within our department with a good overview of it and knowing all the details. While nothing is impossible, it would probably mean a big challenge for the company, for at least some time, if I leave to have this done by somebody else. In order to make it easier for the company, I could actively work on describing the processes and hand already part of the tasks over to other people in to make myself dispensible.
But one of the thoughts that came up is that I could actually not do any of this and on purpose keep on doing it as I am at this moment. This way I could hand over my notice letter at one point, but also offer to help them out with this specific task under my conditions, like only a few hours per week, only these specific tasks.
For me it would be a great pay for relatively easy work and location independent. For the company it would probably be interesting as it would be the easiest and safest way to continue. Even though it might not be the cheapest option long term, my supervisor would probably prefer to have it continued as it is currently.

Previously it would not really have occured to me to steer things in my job in this way, but for this specific situation am seriously considering it.

rube

Post by rube »

Hi Bigato, I understand you but maybe I have written it more black and white then it actually is. Even if I don't "steer" anything, I guess there is a big chance they might ask me to help them out on certain things. The thing I would "steer" here is to increase the odds of the specific task I would prefer to help them on. So it is not I would not do a good job or make no improvements overall, but it is more a decision on what to prioritise as I won't be able to "everything".
But still, it is a fair comment you made and I'll keep it in mind.

rube

Post by rube »

47 weeks - 330 days - target
Verbal agreement with renters for apt. # 6. Should sign contract and handover the keys in the next 9 days.

rube

Post by rube »

47 weeks - 329 days - target
Some time ago we gave up to find our dream house and decided to stay in our current hous. But we're still looking if there is something "better". One of reasons is that while we're still working we can make use of "cheap" money (=mortgage). Moving after next year might not be so easy. As a result we have a viewing tomorrow. I don't dare to have high hopes...but I still hope it is as we expect and are able to buy it. Tomorrow we know if we will like it, let's see.

rube

Post by rube »

47 weeks - 328 days - target
I got sick, sigh.
Despite being sick went to the viewing and made an offer. Fingers crossed.