Dark Satanic Cubicles

Favorite quotations, etc.
Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

It's about time for some anti-job inspiration. A piece from 2005. It's long and with text errors, but nice to read. The old song Sixteen Tons being investigated by the FBI is priceless:
http://www.loompanics.com/Articles/darksatanic.html

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

"government education camps" Love that!
I also liked this paragraph (especially the end):

"That's the way it was for most people, prior to the Industrial Revolution. They may have worked hard and may not have had much. As in every age, they had to put up with the savageries of rulers' power struggles, rulers' wars, and rulers' property confiscation. But generally they could move through their days as the seasons and their own needs (and the needs of their families and communities) dictated. They had a direct, personal connection to the goods they made and the services they performed."

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

Job sucks but before we reach FI we have to have a job or create ourself a job to live in the system. The system is not perfect but it increases our productivity. It produces many goods that you can't produce youself such as computers,internet, electricity etc.
I think a 9 to 5 job is the modern form of slavery. If we want the freedom, we have do it in the old fasion way that's buy ourself out of it. My personal goal is not to stop working. It's about not worrying about money and do the work I truely enjoy.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Interesting. Our society functions efficiently because the cubicle-dwellers and coal miners are willing to chain themselves in the dark satanic mills. Would joblessness be possible without them doing the digging? Would her writing produce enough value to buy her vegetables in a world with no jobs? I wonder.
This section was particularly enjoyable, "Here's something to shout to yourself: Jobs suck! Jobs are bad for you! Shout it until you really hear yourself shouting it – then get out of the job madness, out of wage slavery, out of the grind that keeps you indebted to government, the boss, the bank, and the credit-card company."
It was enjoyable but it misses an important point. There are people who WANT to be a cog in the machine. They NEED to be a slave. They cannot function if someone else is not telling them what to do.
For them, liberation from the cubicle or coal mine would be equally as devastating as enslavement would be for the author.

jzt83

Post by jzt83 »

I an ideal world, jobs would be 100% fun and exciting good times. But most time, we just have to accept the reality of a less than perfect job as a means to ER.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

"Government education camps" were established (their form was discussed in the early 1900) because factory owners complained about workers resisting assembly line work, not showing up on time every day or going home early after they made enough money. The "modern" school system preconditions people to accept such conditions.