anomie's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
anomie

Re: anomie's journal

Post by anomie »

Hi, I just realized that 5 years had passed and wanted to do some sort of summary reflection. I spent years here in ERE land, focused on many of these topics, and respect a lot of people I still see here.

Yes, I avoided mmorpg's while working. And now am trying to explore and understand a sort of aging gamer culture. I encounter all types of people there, as you can expect, and am amazed there at some of the people that juggle families, jobs, and games.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Nice update. It's always interesting to see what happens to people after they pull the plug. It seems like you went through a lot with cancer.

I'm curious how you see gaming culture now. I know the culture of video games has changed a lot with the massive quantity on the market. What draws you to mmorpgs now?

anomie

Post by anomie »

Was initially looking for a game to play with spouse when she was sick. We chose this game because it was reported to be couple friendly. She has moved on after a year. I stayed with it, and got more and more involved with it.

I still find the variables involved in player outcome interesting - skill, hardware, and age. I am not a very good gamer skill wise, and focus on building a gaming community at my skill and interest level, with emphasis on my age demographic.

The learning curve , at least for me, for an mmorpg is/was immense. My previous time commitment was measured in the dozens of hours (for a game like say Witcher 3, maybe 150 hours total). I did not know that 'games' where you spend thousands of hours playing and researching and practicing and exploring, existed. 4-6 hours / day the way I meander and play it, not efficiently I am sure. For 4.5 years , now? yikes.

Not sure how long I will stay with it in the long term. But it has been an interesting ride.

Gaming culture in my mind is just a product of the huge amount of free time we have in this society. The proliferation of games , and the variety of platforms, provide infinite diversion. Serves to further fracture society, but also gives people new communities of interest around which to form I guess.

anomie

Post by anomie »

AnalyticalEngine wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:18 pm
I'm curious how you see gaming culture now. I know the culture of video games has changed a lot with the massive quantity on the market. What draws you to mmorpgs now?
(attempt 2 to answer the question)
I was initially drawn to mmorpg because of the possibilities of gaming in a virtual world with hundreds of other people. The reality is sort of a let down, in truth. Coming to terms with what it is, and trying to work with what is available has kept me going I think.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Congratulations and thanks for the update! Very interesting to see as a newbie.