What kind of work/job do/did you guys all do?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

jzt83, I doubt there are many here who would look down on pizza delivery. However, the money you made does not seem great compared to other minimum-wage jobs with less danger and hassle. I'm honestly curious what makes pizza delivery superior to the other options. Is it the flexibility? The free pizza? Would they let you use a scooter or bike to reduce transportation costs?
Library assistant sounds good.

rcamp

Post by rcamp »

Coming up on 20 years in IT. Started as help desk, gradual sysadmin work, now a generalist in a technical lab environment for a large storage company.

jzt83

Post by jzt83 »

dragoncar - The tips, flexibility and being away from the store for most of the shift while driving around are what make pizza delivery a decent gig. If I were to make min wage without tips, I'd earn only $628 working 20 hours per week and $780 working 25 hours. Library Assistant gigs are sweet too, but employment opportunities are nearly non-existent and becoming more-so non-existent.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

My favorite job was lifeguarding at a retirement home. Not much to do except fish hearing aids off the bottom of the pool. And I loved listening to their stories (except for the guy who spent two summers trying to convince me he was really Robert Ludlum). I also ran a clothing shop for tall women when I got out of school. On Saturday nights we used to stay open late and all of the male cross dressers would come in to shop (men tend to be taller). That was fun. And you'd never know it from what I post here, but I was a proofreader and copy editor at a prestigious academic journal.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

jzt83, oh, my math is baadd today.

MadHermit

Post by MadHermit »

Software developer, primarily doing healthcare related stuff using Microsoft technologies. I've been doing that professionally for close to 20 years now. I did take a year off from work to "test the waters" of ER, and it was a great learning experience. Though it sucked to go back to work, it has re-motivated me to start working the plan again.
I've been away from the forums and Jacob's site for a while now, but I'll definitely be stopping by more often. It's amazing how work can motivate you to re-prioritize.

Camlann

Post by Camlann »

I'm the director of marketing for a prestigious liberal arts college. I have a doctorate in psychology. I like studying people... Not actually dealing with them. ;)

Fathersdilemma

Post by Fathersdilemma »

I just found the site, and had to add my 2 cents.
I am an ecologist by education, former shrimp farmer, and currently manage environmental compliance and permitting for a large engineering and construction company.
I am a former ERE minded person, turned married father of two consumer. I just turned 36, and my wife is definitely not ERE minded. I am refocusing on FI, but trying to find balance with fatherhood, expectations for a higher standard of living, a sustainable future for generations, and my personal desire to escape the rat race.

daizy744

Post by daizy744 »

I'm a technical writer, working for a small healthcare software company that creates electronic medical records software. I just started 4 months ago after working 12 years for a gigantic multi-national IT company.

MrsKensington

Post by MrsKensington »

Just found this thread - the mix of jobs described here is so fascinating!
I'm a journalist working for a big news organization. I have a great gig that I truly treasure. No plans to leave it.
I have been a:

Microfilm camera operator

Waitress/Cocktail-slinger

Reporter

Veterinary assistant

English tutor to foreign professionals

"Actor" in two TV show pilots (neither got picked up)

Adjunct professor

Other, minimum-wage stuff...

prosaic

Post by prosaic »

University administrator, writer, web editor.

R

Post by R »

Technically I'm a software developer, but I spend most of my days on sites like reddit and such.
Being the only onshore developer and having the rest of the team in India makes me the forgotten one most of the time. It's not too bad though, I get paid to sit around and read random junk on the web. Every so often, I'll actually get some work done ...

Landor n Stella

Post by Landor n Stella »

Landor is in school (undergrad) for Medical Technology.

Stella works for the same university he goes to in the construction and planning office.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Civil Engineer. Will be a 20 year career when all is said and done. All kinds of work disciplines - traffic, airports, land development, water treatment and supply, odor control, sanitary sewer collection and treatment, database development, GIS, natural gas systems, hydraulic modeling, etc.
I think I would rather be a part time handy man now.

newb

Post by newb »

used to be a butcher, am a RN and do part time security on the side for fun. just about debt free and hope to be FI by 45 and retired by 55, when my pension kicks in.

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

Hmm, I'm thought I already posted here, but I guess I missed it.
I've dabbled in many things. In order: Pharmacy Tech, Technical Support (Hardware, software, ISP), Realtor, Teacher (university), Small Business Owner (Ebay sales), shot girl (alcoholic kind), Tax Preparer, University Researcher (astrophysics), SAHM, Tutor.
I get very restless if I do the same thing for too long. I think it's an INTJ thing. Maybe I'll take up carpentry next, who knows? I'm continually looking for the next fun project. As long as I'm learning something new, I'm happy.

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

in order
McDonalds

Kmart (like walmart)

Brash's (selling tv's stereos camcorders)
(all of above at while at university)
Shipbroker

Shipping derivatives trader

walls st brokerage firm co director

problogger

lecturer / trainer

living of investments

grendel

Post by grendel »

teacher.

livinlite

Post by livinlite »

in order
referee

pizza slinger

bike shop

market research

retail

barista

server

apartment leasing

settlements analyst

energy trader

utility regulatory consultant

hunner

Post by hunner »

I work for a Natural Gas Power Plant currently. Position: Combined Cylce Operations Technician Trainee. This is basically, outside operations, instrumentation and electrical maintenance, control room operation of plant equipment, performing switching and tagging (making things safe to work on)...
Other than this job, I worked at a marina for 5 years as: an assistant, jewelry sales, graphic design (advertisements, billboards...etc), organized boat shows, organized fishing tournaments, handled cabin and boat rental reservations, forklift operator, and some brief accounting work.