If you file taxes electronically in the US...

Move along, nothing to see here!
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

A bird told me that the IRS is having a little trouble with their new system. It was suggested that I wait to file electronically to avoid problems with my return. Just FYI.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I didn't mention that this isn't someone who's a friend of a friend, blah blah blah. My bird works in a five-sided building, so it's fairly reliable information. I have no idea what the issue is, but I can wait a couple of weeks to file.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

I e-filed yesterday and it was accepted. I have a balance due though, so not too worried if it gets delayed. :-)

C-Dawg

Post by C-Dawg »

I e-filed on 1/31 and received my refund on 2/3 so it doesn't seem like there's any sort of delay for refunds at least.

TLV

Post by TLV »

I'm not surprised to hear they're having problems. I e-filed on 2/6, and it was accepted right away, but the "where's my refund" tool now says to check back in a couple of weeks (instead of the couple of days it was last year).

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

@jennypenny
Has the bird whistled any different tunes? I am almost ready to file.

livinlite

Post by livinlite »

I filed mine electronically last week using TaxSlayer and got my refund in short-order...with a $400 downward adjustment by the IRS...I won't find out why until March, but given that the only adjustments I made were from college tuition, I'm guessing it has something to do with that...we'll see.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

He said not yet. Probably next week. It must be the fraud software because a security issue would be the only reason he'd know.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I just put my usual check in the mail. As long as it is postmarked on Apr 15/17 (depending) I could care less if it takes the USPO eight years to deliver it.
No, not being cynical. Were shoe other foot I would want it yesterday.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

If you could care less, then why don't you?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I got the all clear today, but he said that certain forms will cause delays in refunds. (he didn't say which)

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Thx JP

livinlite

Post by livinlite »

So, after I got the adjustment from the IRS, I went and looked into the education credits I entered in TaxSlayer..
Long story short, I found that I'd put my wife's tuition in the wrong place. I should have put it in the American Opportunity Tax credit section.
I'm now filing an amended 1040x with it in the right place.
And the IRS now owes me an additional $1,660.00!!
I am ever so thankful that they pointed out my mistake ;)