Facebook to File for IPO Next Week - Thoughts?

Move along, nothing to see here!
palmera

Post by palmera »

source: http://mashable.com/2012/01/27/facebook-ipo/
This seems semi-speculative, but still, the question remains:
Would you buy Facebook stock?

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Depends on the price of course!

palmera

Post by palmera »

at what price would you buy when it's in the market?

flyer2009

Post by flyer2009 »

I am not. I don't like to use the "bigger fool" approach, so I look for value and I still don't understand how facebook makes money. I can't visualize the people who click on the dumb banner ads and whether that is sustainable. Gaming is promising but I am not sure if they make any money from that. Does anyone else know their revenue sources?

palmera

Post by palmera »

"people who click on dumb banner ads" is how Google earns 90% of its revenue and is what keeps me gainfully employed.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facebook+revenue+sources
Ads don't all have to be dumb. Given the number of eyeballs Facebook has, they can eat Groupon's lunch, charge for "official" pages (what company does not have a Facebook page at this point?), etc.
I don't generally invest in individual companies, but if someone offered it to me at a trailing P/E of 10, I'd do it :-P

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

Nah, I think FB has peaked already. I predict that in a couple more years it will be like myspace.

flyer2009

Post by flyer2009 »

@palmera - I am glad banners make money for you! If one believes wikipedia, Google's click-through rate is 8% and Facebook's is 0.04%. Google is a giant and does other things like sells search appliances, so I don't know how comparable the two are.
@dragoncar - looks like the other source is "Facebook credits" but it is only 11% of the total revenue.
Things like linkedin and google I can understand, facebook not so much.
I apologize if I am taking this too far off topic.

palmera

Post by palmera »

@flyer2009 is it really hard for you to understand that Google's revenue comes primarily (90%) from sponsored search ads and ads on their content network? This is a fact, not up for debate.
I work at a communications agency with an entire 20 person division devoted to running PPC ads for top tier corporations. I work with Google reps every. day. That's what I mean when I say gainfully employed.
Facebook makes money from sponsored ads. NOW do you see the comparison? (!)
Just wow.

tac

Post by tac »

I will say also that FB ads seem to be better/better targeted. I don't think I have ever clicked on an ad that has shown up in, say, my gmail inbox. FB frequently has ads for things that I might have a serious interest in, and I do occasionally click them. I don't know if I am typical, but if I am, I am surprised that FB's click through rate is so much lower.
I probably would not buy the stock, at least not at IPO. The fact that it's hyped and that everyone's been waiting for a Facebook IPO for years means that there will likely be a buying frenzy and the price will totally inflate. That is pretty typical for IPOs...hype, high initial price, flop down by the end of the day or over the next week/month. Maybe after a couple of weeks when it comes back down to earth. I have a friend who is into trying to buy "hot" brands right at IPO time and so far she has taken a hit consistently.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I don't think I've even seen a Facebook ad, but it's not a "punch the monkey" variety, right?

palmera

Post by palmera »

tac: I attribute the lower FB CTR to the fact that Google searchers are "looking" for something, and are therefore already in action mode. FB users aren't, they're just surfing, browsing, creeping. The FB ads are more attractive though.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Here's what the chart will do:
/\

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

LOL @JohnnyH
Agreed.

m741

Post by m741 »

There's money to be made in Facebook, if you exit at the right time.
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, though. Too much hype. Same with Groupon.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

The scary (maybe good) thing is that ad revenue would go to zero if ad-block plus was simply rolled out to the masses.
I think Google has realized ads will be obsolete and has been branching out in many directions with paid services the last few years. We spend over $100/year between Google Voice and Docs just in our household. I haven't bought anything from an online ad.
Facebook has data on users it can sell and games. I still have a hard time fathoming how they make enough to pay their electric bill. I doubt the stock pricing will have little to do with reality.