ffj

Re: bigato's journal

Post by ffj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 am

Welcome back. It's been too long.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Thank you very much, guys!
YaW, sorry for not having answered the email. I've been using the cellphone mostly and I hate to type on that thing. Also hate not writing a proper answer. And can't access personal email at the job. So I end up postponing it until I forget it. Maybe now that my focus is back on ERE, I'll be posting more often.
Fish: yes, it definitely is possible to forgo ERE. Thing is, if you stay around here, your brain keeps on absorbing unconsciously the peer pressure and you program yourself everyday towards ERE. Whether that is a good thing or not, is up to you.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi! I thought of you and checked in the past couple of pages. Sounds like you had hard times, but now are having amazing times. So happy for you.

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi LiquidSapphire, great to hear from you!
Yeah my life is great nowadays! I can say that I am doing my dream job in one of the best places in the world where I could be, among some great professionals, working 6h/day mon-fri, and I also am having some adventures every now and then, like that time in 2017 when I cycled 3 thousand km in a single speed bicycle in 24 days! Also, I'm vegan since 14 months ago and it has been great.
I see you have a blog now, I'll check it out! Maybe add you on facebook if you use such a thing?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:08 am

Hey Bigato! I'm so glad you're doing well!

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks Jenny!

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey, I found a cool picture of a one person electric vehicle when I was Riga.

Do you prefer email or WhatsApp?

P.S. It seems like all the OGs are coming back out of their shells.

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm

heheheh you can send it to me via whatsapp :)

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Welcome back.. :D

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Thought some of you might enjoy it: I'm currently riding my single speed bicycle through Argentina during my 33 days vacations. It's a kind of a road bike and the way I do it is a mix of touring and personal sportive challenge. All of my stuff weight 19.3 kg including my steel bike. I stay in hotels and eat what vegan food I can find, which so far has been potato chips, biscuits, fruits and juices. Planning on crossing to Chile and probably reaching Lima in Peru. The longest distance in a day so far was 266km, averaging 154km a day so far. This is the fifth day and I'm lying in a hotel bed while I write this. The hotels price make it not very ERE, but I thought some of you would appreciate the adventure and challenge part. Among my stuff is a foldable bluetooth keyboard which I use to write my diaries daily and share then on my website, since I deleted all of my social media accounts (except whatsapp and strava). Website address available by pm request if you are so inclined, and although it's in portuguese, I heard that automatic translators like Google's do a reasonable work nowadays. No pictures thought, just plain old text rendered into html by simple unix scripts.

Nicolino

Post by Nicolino » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:23 am

Haha, being vegan in Argentina will probably be not easy! Hope you watch out for your safety and your stuff while riding there, but I guess you are familiar with those things coming from Brazil. I have seen so many cases of long term travelers having their stuff stolen in my country, can´t help but feel a lot of shame anytime I read one of those cases.

If your wondering through Chile brings you to Santiago, I am more than happy to buy you a beer and hear your stories first-hand!

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks Nicolino! Probably not going to Santiago this time, but I'll take your offer if it happens.
Ate some wild edible plants I gathered on the side of the road today, like dandelions leaves, mustard flowers and anise stems. Now *that's* ERE hahahaha. Thinking about getting some salt and lemon in the next city for the next wild salad! Also wondering that if I had a metal mug, I could even cook some of this stuff.

niemand

Post by niemand » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:00 am

bigato wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 am
... salt and lemon ...
Get some tequila in the next town, breakfast of champions :D
Jokes aside, your cycling trip sounds wonderful, makes me think of the young Ernesto Guevara on his Latin America trip, although they went by motorbike.

m741

Post by m741 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Hey bigato, glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. If you make it to Lima, there's an amazing vegetarian (nearly vegan) restaurant, which was one of our favorite places to eat over 7 months. I think it was $3.50 USD for a three course meal w/drink:

Restaurante Vegetariano SAYEL
Calle Cantuarias 285, Lima 15074, Peru

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Thank you very much m741! Will surely pay a visit if I get there. But today I'm so exhausted that I don't feel I'll be able to get to Lima. Who knows, maybe San Pedro de Atacama or maybe I'll just ride home from here. I can postpone the decision one more day, at which point I'll have to decide whether to turn left or right. Should be fun! At least today I'm in Cordoba and will be eating at a vegan restaurant! My second real meal in 7 days, with over a thousand km ridden so far.