DutchGirl's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Berninger

Re: DutchGirl's journal

Post by Berninger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:54 am

Nice to read your progress.

I had the same thoughts about getting a second car for my work. I chose for a fast ebike (goes 27km/h). Very happy with it (my work is 22km). Plus it saves me travel costs.
Now considering a speed pedelec (goes up to 45km/h). This way i will be quicker at my work (now it takes me 1 hour).
Maybe that's something for you as well? You can get anywhere up to 90km within 2.5 hours.

How much k do you need to get to FIRE?

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 am

I'm aiming for 300k euros to call myself FI. However, I am considering quitting my current job when I have 200k. 200k euros is such a nice cushion that it may allow me to explore other options for income. I could potentially withdraw 5% (higher withdrawal rate because the 200k only needs to last until official retirement) and need to supplement with like another 2000 to 5000 euros of income from another source... well, that should be doable somehow; I actually already have 2k of side-income that I could continue doing. Or, if I find a different job that brings in more than 5k/year, then of course that would allow me to leave the 200k be and allow it to grow some more. We'll see.

In the end I'm not buying a car now. There are initiatives in the Netherlands where you can borrow someone else's car for say 30 euros per day plus gas; I might want to look into that some more; for the rare occasions where a car is really useful to me.

niemand

Post by niemand » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Quitting at 200k and supplementing with 2-5k pa sounds like a good option.

Maybe you could scale up your side income? Or do something fun that brings in a little money as well. Or something not fun but well-paid that doesn’t take too much time and has lots of flexibility.

Myself, I tried out freelance content-writing (in the investing click-bait space) a couple years ago just to see if it could provide a decent side income. They pay $100 per article. I am now able to produce a publishable article in 2-3 hours. Not quite fun, not too ethical, but very easy money. Taxes aside, if I needed $2-5k a year I’d just have to write one article a week.

Based in my own experience (n=1), I’d say go for it at 200k.

Will

Post by Will » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:00 am

DutchGirl wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 am
In the end I'm not buying a car now. There are initiatives in the Netherlands where you can borrow someone else's car for say 30 euros per day plus gas; I might want to look into that some more; for the rare occasions where a car is really useful to me.
Good to hear you didn't buy a car, I do own a car but we frequently rent it out on Snappcar, it's a nice alternative.
If you're really longing to be more free I think it's a good idea to call it quits at 200K, though I'm not sure if I would do so myself, I would opt for a bit more safety margin I think.

On the other hand, in these good economic times it's not hard to create a nice side income. I write for seeking alpha ($50-100+ per article depending on the number of clicks) and deliver food by bike (mostly as hobbies), but it still brings in 2-4k per year without much effort.
@ Niemand: for which website do you write? I might be interested in it as well. You can also PM me.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 am

One week of holiday coming up this week! It will however be filled with all kinds of house maintenance. (Or actually, me opening the door and providing coffee for all kinds of professionals who will come and maintain/repair/fix/change something about our house. Biggest issue: changing the windows for more isolating ones (HR++ in Dutch; meaning less heat loss in winter). I am hoping that this will make sleeping in the bedroom more comfortable in winter. So we're doing this now, but I won't be able to tell how much it worked until December or so :D It will also probably come with a bit of savings on gas, but the savings probably won't be huge.

The replacement of the windows was the last big issue that needed to be fixed according to the inspection report when we bought the house almost two years ago now. Oh, no, wait, the painting of the outside of the house. But that will be done in August after the new windows have been placed (and the stuff keeping them in their place has dried/settled).

PS June came with losses instead of savings due to prepaying for those windows. It was a task that was on the to do-list, but I suddenly started really doing it; and then yes, it also costs money.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 pm

First half of the windows are installed. I think it's awesome, already. I might be biassed, though :-)

Before they came to install the first half, I went around the house to check the old windows. There were more single-pane windows than I had realized. I thought only the small windows were single-pane, but apparently also the big ones on the first floor were. So it's extra good that we're replacing them now, and now I do think we'll be more comfortable in winter and perhaps see a reduced gas bill.

Today (Tuesday) the remaining windows will be installed.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:47 pm

The windows look great. They did eat all my surplus for a month or two, but oh well.

I did a lot of other things in the holiday-week as well. Bought two more bookcases and installed them (together with my parents who dropped by). Installed a carbon monoxide alarm and fire alarms. Cleaned up the study and the storage room - and brought some stuff to secondhand stores and to the dump. Did a good sweep of the garden (will of course be necessary again soon because everything grows right now). Had the plumber over to repair a malfunctioning ventilation system. And the most time-consuming job for me: created a USB-stick which stores all the important paperwork from my guy & me. Think things like investment paperwork, diplomas, work contracts, a copy of the will et cetera. It's now all up to date and I gave my parents a copy too to put in their safe.

Pfew! But I was and am very happy with the results.

It's back to work this week. But while I worked Monday&Tuesday, today I had the day off, so that's a nice easy start of the work life again. I brought the ebike to the store today for the free one-year maintenance (which I had done after 1.5 years, oh well). So that's another chore done. Tomorrow I'm working in an airconditioned environment and I'm looking forward to that because it's quite hot here in the Netherlands. So for once, I don't mind working so much. Things should cool down by the weekend, so a few more days to go now.

My guy is like 6 months away from becoming FI - and it's a comfortable FI for him, I'm pretty sure he will spend less than 3% of his net worth per year; and then twenty years from now he gets an extra influx of cash from the social security system. He's still working and he will continue to work for at least another year to finish his current project. I actually also have no doubt that if a new interesting project comes by, he'll jump on it. But he is also slowly getting used to the idea that he has enough money. So I'm curious what he'll do. We'll see!

steveo73

Post by steveo73 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi Dutch Girl - good to hear about your man who is getting close to becoming FI. I get the impression you are sick of your job. I don't have any advice other than I can relate.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:42 am

Yeah, I'm quite sick of some aspects of this job of mine. But there's a mix of good things and bad things.

Let's list the bad things first:

1. In the ten years that I've worked there, it has been about downsizing, layoffs, budget cuts all the time.
2. Colleagues complain. A lot. They may be correct (see my item number 1) - but it doesn't help with the atmosphere.
3. Sometimes it's very busy and it's hard to get your priorities straight while you're dealing with several people who all need your help.
4. The working hours are irregular and often in the evenings.
5. I took on a new temporary extra task two years ago which is more about politics than I personally care for.

Now for the good things:

1. This job in healthcare needs doing. I get to feel useful for doing it.
2. Colleagues are happy when they find out they're working a shift with me. They express that happiness and that makes me smile.
3. Most often I feel like I'm capable of doing this job. At the end of the shift I can most often feel that it was a job well done.
4. The working hours are irregular - so sometimes I have the full weekday off and can go do anything I like to do.
5. The new temporary extra task did mean learning some new things and having some new experiences.

For now I'm planning to hang on for at least one more year, because then the temporary extra task ends and I won't leave my colleagues hanging with that. I am considering reducing my work hours some more maybe five to ten months from now.

wolf

Post by wolf » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:32 am

I'd focus on the good things, especially #2 :-)

herp

Post by herp » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:26 pm

I agree with wolf. The fact that colleagues are happy to work with you is something that I would consider a big plus. I'd go as far as saying it's one of the best qualities you can have as an employee.

rube

Post by rube » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 am

Hi DG, I have learned there is always/everywhere "something". On the other hand, in some places it is more then others and it can be too much.
My 2 cents: make sure you don't get in a situation it affects your health, i.e. burned out, stressed too much etc. Apart, from that +1 on Wolf en enjoy the things outside work.
For myself it has helped me to focus on milestones not too far away, like you mentioned the 5-10 months before you wil like reduce the hours.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:26 am

I'm doing terrible so far for 2019. Until Sept 30: income 34,500 euros , invested/saved 12,200 euros including mortgage equity - for a savings rate of 35%

To be fair, two things:
1. Over 3000 euros of my expenses went to maintaining/repairing our house. Now we have isolated windows, the plumber fixed an issue with the pipes which could have gotten nasty, and the garden is more to our liking now (and greener), and still relatively easy to maintain. Next up will probably be the replacement of the roof in a year or two - sigh. There will always be something when you own a house. But I hope that the average annual cost is lower than what we paid this year.
2. For the full year of 2019, I should receive over 4000 euros back come tax time next year due to deductions for mortgage interest and charitable gifts.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Six more months before I'll reduce my hours, a holiday next week and a 3-week-holiday in March (so actually something like 3 more months with normal hours, then an almost-monthlong holiday, then 1 more month with normal hours, and then the reduction in hours ... I should be able to do that).

Ten more months before I can say goodbye to the extra task that is more political in nature than I care for.

And then perhaps at some point a career switch (for a few more years). We'll see. I sometimes feel like I want to say goodbye when things are still fun and everybody still likes me. I can be quite sulky when I don't like what I'm doing.

In October I prepaid some of the gas & electricity for the next ten years. I bought kWh's and gas cubic meters, so now I hope the prices go up big time so that I can point out to my boyfriend and to you guys how smart I was for prepaying. But we'll see.

I bought a new phone for 185 euros (roughly $200), the previous one was 2 years old but after a few unlucky falls had trouble connecting to the provider. For the new one I now also bought a better protective sleeve than I had for the old one. Apparently clumsy me needs that to be able to keep a phone for longer!

I developed some small income on the side this month. The Dutch government gives a grant for organisations who do R&D, but you have to fill in paperwork for that of course and that's what I have been doing for a small company. They pay me per hour, and if they get the grant they will probably receive about 100 times what they spent on me. So we both win. Perhaps in a couple of years I will dare to up my fee, or to go for a "no cure no pay" scenario where I ask for say 5% or so of the grant if they win it. But for now I get paid per hour and am happy with that.

rube

Post by rube » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:14 am

The reduced hours sounds good. It will be April before you know.
The gig seems nice. Is that still the "WBSO" arrangement? I don't know how much you get per hour but would recommend not be too shy with your wage 8-)