LiquidSapphire's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

@ LS
Really awesome you are off the treadmill!
I like your plans and I think the 6 months or so until your benefits run out is a good deal of time to figure out how to move forward ... if I were you I would try out lots of different things and see what I like doing best :)
As for your alcohol issue - perhaps you can try brewing beer? It sounds like fun and not too complicated ...
I'm also interested to hear how your expenses will change in ERE beyond being car-less - I'd spend time thinking about reducing your rent, which is your largest expense. Perhaps you can find a fixer-upper and slowly restore it while you live in it (ask MMM to teach you the ropes as you now have time :) ...) ... and after 2 years, any capital gains up to half a million bucks will be tax free (if this exception still exists ... I think it does but I'm no expert)
Just my random positive thoughts for you :)
Hope you enjoy your freedom,
Magnus

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

October 2, 2012
My lawsuit is underway and I am surprised at the amount of stress it is causing me hence my delay posting here. It reminds me of all of the reasons I hated working for that place; all of that stress back in full force. How did I ever put up with this all day every day? I should have left that job long ago and just taken a different job. So dear reader, if you are in a job you hate, and you are more than a year away from your savings goals, take it from me, start looking for another job. You don't even realize how toxic it is for you until you leave it.
So some lessons learned. First off, work was a huge burden of stress and now that I am not working there anymore, some of that stress is gone. (It was all gone for a while, when the lawsuit was quiet.) So yeah overall my life is definitely better. I would say that if you imagine the course of a typical week as a series of peaks and valleys, I got rid of most of the valleys. I am stlll searching for some more peaks though, but I was having that problem before anyway. I left my employment without a solid view of what I was going to and so I figured I would have this difficult “now what should I do with my life” period that is hard to solve. Perhaps that is hard for you INTJs to comprehend but I am an ISTJ and it is harder for me :)
I tried tutoring for a while but I quit. It became a job I disliked and dreaded. I was babysitting more than teaching and the scheduling process was very inconvenient for me. I figured if I was going to put up with that much crap I might as well just go get another government job and make way more money. It’s good anyway because now my schedule is more open to meet with lawyers and stuff like that.
I am still thinking that I won’t have to begin withdrawals until March and at that point assuming no additional income my withdrawal rate would be about 4.6% or thereabouts. I’d like to earn about $5K to $6K next year so I can get that down to 3% but I am not going to worry about it too much right now. Akratic said I probably have a couple years of work ahead of me, but nothing says they have to be the next couple years... so I am taking that to heart and just take a break from work for now. I still am doing little minor things for token amounts of money but nothing that approaches $5K or $6K. Mystery Shopping, Credit Card bonuses, giving plasma a couple times when I got “bonuses” for doing it, etc. Frankly I find I can only focus on a couple of major life goals at a time and this month it’s my lawsuit and some other things like getting my house cleaned up and ready for the winter and getting back on my diet and getting back to the gym and stuff like that and so finding meaningful life work is just not a major focus at this point in time. Maybe if I get a nice settlement this will all be moot anyway. One year's worth of salary in settlement will get me to a 3.38% withdrawal rate if I keep my spending largely the same. The gap to 3% would only be about $1500 of earnings annually, or around $125 a month which is pretty achievable, and anything above that would be gravy/lifestyle inflation.
Net Worth: 259785

Total Assets: 279990
Gold: 26.4% - IAU, American Eagles

Bonds: 20.7%, TLT, 30-Y Bonds held directly via Vanguard & Fidelity, may go to all 30-Y held directly sometime soon

Cash: 27.3% - TSP G Fund, various checking accounts, HSA

Stocks: 28.5% - TSP C and S Fund, 4:1 ratio
Expenses (average since Jan 1 in parenthesis)
Rent: 500 (500)

Natural Gas: 7 (16)

Internet: 12 (15)

Electricity: 28 (24)

Water/Sewer: 13 (10)

Trash/Storm Drainage/Parks: 10 (10)

Netflix: 8 (10)

Cell Phone:0 (10)

Groceries: 276 (201)

Medical: 0 (94)

Restaurants/Recreation: 45 (103)

Untracked: 10 (14)

Transportation: 20 (71)

Gifts: 70 (36)

Liquor: 0 (11)

Cat: 25 (15)

Gym: 10 (10, I guess, even though I just joined)

Stuff: 89 (113)

Charity: 0 (20)

TOTAL: 1123 (1277)
So a little unemployment hack is that you can elect COBRA (TCC for the Feds) either 60 days from the date of separation or 65 days from notification of the process, whichever is later. (note: dates might be different for private sector) My agency took until September 17 to notify me and so I have 65 days where I can retroactively activate health insurance if I need it. I gave a copy of filled out enrollment forms to boyfriend and 2 family members to file if I am incapacitated and will start new health insurance in mid-November. So I canceled the health insurance I had and got a refund.
Downgraded Netflix a touch. Purchased coupons on eBay and stocked up on a few shelf stable items. Huge Costco trip to stock up on stuff. Started xMas shopping. Yeah that's about all I have to report at the moment. :)

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Enjoy the time off. Things will work out. :)

m741

Post by m741 »

It's definitely best to hold off on any serious projects until you're done with the lawyers. That's very stressful in itself, and since you have some flexibility, it's probably much better to relax until that's all settled down.

ExpatERE

Post by ExpatERE »

Your job situation seems like an evil that will not die. Patience, though some demons die slowly, die they do :-)
From one INTJ to an ISTJ I offer this: relax. Drink your coffee black, gaze at the stars with the same wonder you did as a child, look longingly at a sunset and ask yourself why it seems so beautiful to us. Go on a meditation walk, clear your mind of the weeds that sometimes encroach on an otherwise beautiful mental landscape of wildflowers. Know in your heart, in a away that you can not know mentally that things will be OK. If all this fails to help you relax, I have found that a good gin and tonic cures many ills. :-)
Transitional periods are enviable. Their intensity springs from the fact that much change comes about as result, yet they offer us outstanding opportunities to grow as people if we only let them.
Wish you the best...

riparian

Post by riparian »

"Transitional periods are enviable. Their intensity springs from the fact that much change comes about as result, yet they offer us outstanding opportunities to grow as people if we only let them."
Truth!
You're retired! Congrats!

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Thanks all :) Good food for thought... definitely an interesting part of life when I consider it as a spectator. That's hard to do sometimes. Transition period 'tis indeed!
Things are better; I have representation selected and nailed down and I/we think I have a shot at winning this thing. The judge pretty much told the agency lawyer she had an uphill battle so we'll see what rabbits they attempt to pull out of hats. Should have the first court decision around early January I suspect unless I settle earlier.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I have put off writing here for a while because I haven't really been sure what to say. I have not tracked Net Worth or expenses for the last two months and I'm not sure why but I have some theories. I think burn out from thinking about "do I have enough" is one. I think I saw comments on the forum of "PP has gone down a LOT OMG!" and I thought it best to just. not. look. for now. Still haven't. I think I have been spending more but not a lot more... maybe $100 a month more or something... I don't even know and I don't want to know, I don't want to calculate it, it's a really weird reaction I don't quite understand. It generally takes 30-60 minutes a month to calculate and categorize it all and I just can't bring myself to do it. (Now if some genie came up to me and said, do you want to know how you've been doing, I'd say yes, but I can't bring myself to find out the numbers myself.)
I think part of it is I can only deal with so much unpleasantness at one time and I have a lot of subconscious stress with my lawsuit and the uncertainty of what I am doing with my life and I now spend a lot of time alone and don't have the social interaction I did, anyway, I am having difficulty coping. I like can't even be bothered to do the most simple things. Like, dishes. Laundry. Get the mail. I wonder if it is some version of depression or something. Anyway, I was so completely unprepared for the amount of stress my lawsuit is bringing me. Anyway, we'll see what happens... I take solace knowing I am at least causing my former employer stress as well and being a general pain in the ass. ha ha ha :D
I can say though that I don't have enough money to relax because I was driving myself batty trying to think of ways to drop my 5% WR down. In the end I became scared to go out and do anything that costs any money. Even like, 10 bucks, I had to sit and think about, and I don't think I want to live like that. And so now I have swung the pendulum the other way and I am buying what I want when I want and I am not calculating it and so there. And so I don't even know what my WR is right now. I don't know what my new monthly normal is or even my net worth. It's really weird because this is very out of character for me. I think it is a general reaction to stress. But basically I am thinking about going back to a full time job but just one I enjoy. I still refuse to take another shitty job or a crappy commute. So I am trying to find something enjoyable close to home that I can get excited about.
Yeah so an update of nothing but I was already logged in here after avoiding it for a while and so I thought I'd post something :)

akratic

Post by akratic »

Glad to have an update LiquidSapphire. Sounds like some tough stuff you are going through.
Here's some unsolicited advice: go to the gym every day. It could help in a few different ways such as getting out of the house, giving the feeling of accomplishing something, establishing a routine, working off stress, and possibly some social interaction if you attend a group class, etc.
I think you're on the right track anyway, looking for a job you like, and spending at a level where you aren't making big sacrifices (I'm guessing you're probably still not spending all that much either).

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

I want to second going to the gym--the physical effort will pay off huge dividends in psychological clarity.
Of course, the stress from such heavy things cannot simply be willed away and it's going to be tougher going forward than any of us can understand.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Hey Lady. It does sound like you're depressed. That's totally normal when we have stressful life changes tho. The number one most effective treatment for depression, even more than meds, is excercise. Just go run until you can't anymore. It'll help, I promise.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Thanks everybody :) Yeah I just need to get out of this funk and start taking care of the basics. I sleep plenty (but don't oversleep) but I need to make eating better and exercising more of a priority. I was doing it for while a while 3 weeks ago but I injured my knee and it's still healing up a bit... I need to get back to it though you all are so right. I need to take care of "me" better physically and ignore my feelings of inertia, maybe the rest will follow. It's almost like, I never want to go out when I'm all comfortable at home, but I almost always feel better after I did go. I need to figure out a routine to psych myself out. Staying home all day in sweats is just too easy.
I applied for a job 3 miles away for a Senior HR post in the private sector that sounds fun recently. I hope to get an interview. I generally interview very well so assuming that it is a "real" vacancy (and not a fake one, and they just posted it to satisfy some union agreement or whatever) I think I have a good shot at it. I should apply for more jobs that look like "fun". One nice thing about ERE is I don't even care what the salary is. It doesn't even really matter. Even 30K a year would be a huge chunk of change. I would probably even just invest the entire amount and just live off savings, just to see how that goes. I just want to have some purpose to life again, since I'm having difficulty creating it.
Anyway yeah I am not spending that much more, perhaps not that much more at all... Maybe $100-$200 more a month? But it is helping my mood a lot. Some of it is just on getting out of the house, some of it is on a new hobby (I got a concealed carry revolver as a gift, so I applied for the CCW permit and I had to buy bullets for practice, a holster, I need to buy one or two more holsters, etc...) I dropped some major coin on the Johnson O'Connor aptitude testing. I am still mulling over the results, some of them were surprising. I'm not convinced it was worth it yet, but we'll see.
Well my hearing is delayed until probably February or March (stupid lawyer-y posturing stuff, silly me, thinking this would all conclude in short order, haha, when is the government ever fast?!?!) and so I will probably get some kind of resolution in March ish time frame. Their original settlement offer was a complete and total joke. I offered one recently that their lawyer essentially scoffed at but whatever, I thought it was quite reasonable given what a loss would look like for them. So much posturing. So much ridiculousness. But I have to say that I have had a lot of coincidental helping hands in this matter.... It's a nice feeling. Like, I filed the lawsuit pro se initially, and then the court let me know that the local law school is taking these cases for free. Holy crap so now I have a law school professor and four students about to graduate doing all of the heavy lifting with my little case free of charge. And the other side is playing hard ball with depositions, making me get a court reporter, which when all is said and done can cost $2000 per witness... and now the law school is willing to pick up the bulk of the cost. It's really, really, really neat that things are sort of "working out" in this way. It's very cool. Almost like God is conspiring in my favor or something :)
I finally started collecting unemployment, although much later than I originally anticipated because I had to wait for my vacation pay and severance pay to "run out" but it's still well above my actual expense level so I have reinforcements again. I had to call unemployment once to see what was happening with all that. Their phone lines open at 7:30am. I called around 7:45am and I was on hold for over two hours before I could speak to someone and that guy didn't know anything at all. Apparently they had pulled staff to deal with the huge influx of claims. It must be tough out there.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

No major changes in my life really but thought I'd make my monthly post.
With it being the new year and all I thought it would be a good time to review 2012 and the past in general and think about 2013. I read some thread on here a while back that people wanted to read about non-financial goals people were setting in order to become "Renaissance people", etc. That surprised me because I usually have a few initiatives going at one time and generally they aren't financially related. I didn't think there would be an interested audience here but maybe there is. So I guess I will post some more about my general goals instead of just the financial ones.
One thing I am trying is to limit dessert to 62 servings per year (1 per week + 10 for special occasions) and booze to 104 servings per year (averaging two per week). I feel these areas are weak spots for me and I am trying to be more conscious on when I eat sweets or drink booze. So far so good, it does make me question "is this worth it" before I go for it beforehand, which I never did before, but of course we are only one week in to the new year :) I keep a running tally on a post it note on my wall calendar, which I keep in the bathroom. Yeah it's weird but I see it multiple times a day, first thing in the morning, last thing before bed, it's really an ingenious location so I am surprised more people don't do it. I also track my weight daily and the boxes are all there ready to go, I just have to write in the number. Pretty slick. I try to stay away from carbs but I have noticed that I am quenching my sweet tooth by imbibing too much heavy cream instead, so the cream is not going to be replaced once it's gone. I'll probably go back to Almond or Coconut Milk. I tried making my own coconut milk from unsweetened coconut flakes... the labor involved compared with the quality of the product (kinda crappy), I probably won't do that again. I guess those are 3 health-related resolutions I have undertaken, limit dessert, limit booze, limit carbs.
I read the new Permanent Portfolio book. While I definitely recommend it to people new to the PP, I didn't find much new (to me) information in it. If you extensively read the Crawling Road blog and the Gyroscopic Investing forum at any point, you probably have all of the basics. It did cover geographic diversification of Gold well though, that information I hadn't come by in such a neat little package before.
My free bus pass expired :\ and without the subsidy it is not at all realistic to pony up for a new one so my transportation expenses might go up a bit, like $20 a month or something.
My net worth is pretty stable. It is about what I predicted it would be at this point. I had a delay in getting my unemployment benefits started (didn't start getting paid until around Thanksgiving) and so I should be eligible at least through May and possibly through this next Thanksgiving. I spend less than my unemployment so I'm good there. I think I am around a 0% return with the PP since I bought in around August or something like that. I haven't calculated my return manually, but assets look about where I bought them at, or perhaps slightly lower. However, Mint.com thinks I am like 99% in the hole since it is miscalculating the worth of my Bonds at purchase (If only they used to be worth $1 million, sheeeesh). Annoying. I should just set up Google to track this shit for me. Another to do. Anyway, so hopefully I will get something better this year. NW is down about 1.2% from October 1st, and that includes my withdrawals/living expenses. So I guess I am on track to around a 5% WR, and unemployment will help me this year keep that much lower for the first year.
I also recently read The Fourth Turning by Strauss and Howe and someone here links to their blog which I also really like. http://blog.lifecourse.com/ Anyway, they are claiming 2008 is the "catalyst" year (first stage of fourth turning) and in their book they make some predictions for what the "crisis" in the Fourth Turning might be. On their blog they claim major changes are likely to happen within the next four years, probably. http://blog.lifecourse.com/2012/03/dati ... h-turning/ Frankly most of the possible futures are scary and so I feel very very good about being in the PP and holding 25% Gold. More than that is too Doomer for me and less than that may not work enough as a hedge/shelter if SHTF soon.
I am still pondering what I will do for $ in the future but I am not really ready to talk about it yet; I am still in the thinking/researching/trying it out stages. akratic said that I probably only have a handful of years left of required work ahead of me, and that nothing says that those need to be the next few years... very true, so I am taking that to heart and trying not to rush anything or stress out about anything. It's hard though :) I feel this deep down urge that I should be "doing something" with my life and I'm not and it's very unsettling. Anyway, I help with marketing and technical stuff with my dad's business so I can always put that down on my resume to fill in the time gap. I would really like to find a way to make money that I enjoy and so for the time being I am waiting to see if I can make something like that comes up. I am just enjoying my time off, slowly crossing things off my to do list (verrrrry slowly) and just taking it one week at a time.
I spent like 2 months washing my hair with just baking soda. That worked pretty well. It had enough moisture to have lots of body (it's naturally kinda flat on top) but not greasy. I did try a few days just water... that did not work at all and there is no way I am going to sit and wait for 2 months with no cleansing agent at all to see if it ever does.
I keep the thermostat on 55 most days and sit with an electric blanket (throw size) that I got at Walmart for $18. It works.
Firecalc says I have a 95% chance of survival with my current assets for 30 years if I spend $11912 each year. It's a 4.3% withdrawal rate. I plugged in 3% inflation, 7.1% annual growth with SD of 5.6%. I think I can clear $1000+ in banking/CC bonuses each year. I will probably jump on that in Feb, since my last application-o-rama was in August. I can probably clear about $200 a year in mystery shopping before it gets onerous. I can probably clear about $360/year on mTurk before I start getting bored. I effortlessly clear about $200 a year from Bing Rewards. That adds up to about $1139 per month... which I might be able to work out. Maybe I am ready to come back to the table and start tracking all of this again. I guess it has only been about a 3 month break, eh? Then anything additional/extra earned after that might be "fun money". Hey this whole time I thought I didn't have enough $ to be ERE but mTurk for 10 min a day is a small price to pay to release my worry and guilt. I think I'm actually in the ballpark here, but I haven't been doing the mTurk. Maybe I should start.
Anyway if you read my rant this far, thanks for putting up with my longwindedness :)
I plan to re-read my journal and post more soon so more again later if I have something to say about it. Happy new year all!

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I re-read my journal. I guess the biggest thing I took from rereading my journal is that I need a big freakin' attitude adjustment. Life is great overall and I should be grateful for it and I need to just stop my naval gazing and get on with life again. I clearly have been spending entirely too much time in my head. Literally nothing in my life is going badly. Literally nothing. Sure some things could be better, can't most things in anyone's life? But nothing is going "badly". That's awesome! I have nothing to complain about! That never happens to me, that "nothing" is going "wrong". Holy shit, NOTHING is going wrong. Yay! So I am going to "fix my attitude" and stop focusing on the things I don't like and try to focus on the good and get my head right again.
2013 Goals:
1) I am going to drop my cell phone to the $10 for 4 months plan on Page Plus. I think I can make the $10 last 2 months or more and if I can do that, it's actually cheaper than the $80/year plan. I hardly use it now. I use the Talkatone app via WiFi for nearly everything.
2) I am going to try to track my expenses again before I get all flipped out about income and WRs again. I think my expenses are lower and so I should be doing better. I need to just calm down and relax. I have unemployment and I will for a long time and I have years upon years to tweak this to be more favorable. I do not have to "fix" it right now.
3) I am going to focus on my lawsuit. I should have a judgment in April but I am sure whoever loses will appeal (they sure will and I sure will) and so this thing will drag on for a while. It is heating up big time in the next couple of weeks.
4) I need to cancel my gym membership because I now effectively have two of them (memberships). I now have a punch card type thing where it costs me $3 to go into the local rec center per time, no other ongoing silly fees, and also the $10/month gym that has no where near the same facilities and it is 2 miles farther away. I seriously need to stop this $10 outflow. This is stupid.
5) I need something lighthearted to do so I am re-reading all of the Harry Potters and then I am going to watch all of the movies afterwards :D teehee!
6) SO started kind of talking about buying a house together... I think I will take him more seriously and look into doing that next winter. Things are going well enough that I feel pretty good about that. I don't know that we'll ever get married... lots of reasons... but I'm thinking this could be a permanent thing. It might even fix my WR so we'll see. Hey guys finally I am taking a step to decreased my biggest expense, housing... finally... after talking about it for almost two years... X-)
7) I would be the happiest girl if I could lose 10 pounds this year!
8) I do these Bing searches using this script thing to do the searches for me so it takes all of like 10 seconds to set up each day and I earn about 63 cents at a minimum per day (sometimes more if they have a bonus) that I can redeem for gift cards at Target, Starbucks, or Amazon, so I do it. I need to remember to do it every day.
9) Once I finish playing through Oblivion for the xBox360 I am stepping away from Video Games! Honestly I have spent 200 hours on this game and I have literally nothing to show for it except I am really used to sitting on the right side of the couch. Kinda pathetic. There are about a million more ways I could have better spent that time.
I tried mTurk again, that lasted all of about a week, I'm tired of it again. oh well :)

bluepearl

Post by bluepearl »

Hi LS

One small suggestion, why not use the internet searches to learn something (or 5 things or 10 things) new every day? I mean, you don't have to search for dry financial stuff, how about learning about art, history, fishing, building...

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Thanks bluepearl :) I will make an effort to do that once the fancy strikes :)

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

OK, time to come back to this thing. Today is February 1, 2013.
Net Worth: 260614

Total Assets: 280699 (I have ~$18,000 in student loans I am slow playing/slow paying?)

Side Hustles: 64.90 (Bing, Mystery Shopping, mTurk)

I feel my spending was in line with expectations. I know groceries will be high next month since we are running low on some things, and I need to buy cat food.
I qualified for a second 6-month deferment on my student loans. Hard to believe it has been six months already.
I have periodically checked my asset levels over the past few months and they seem to hover between 275000 and 280000. It’s weird to see it so stable. Maybe it’s actually going up just a little tad. At least it’s not going down. That would freak me out.
So despite my “checking out” over the past few months I actually did manage to track my utilities cost for 12 whole months in 2012 so I have a pretty good baseline average of how much things should cost in these categories. So these are what I am using to come up with my “projected average” above. My utilities including Netflix and Internet cost me an average of $83.72 per month. Not bad, not bad. December and January are lower or about the same as last year so I feel I have a good place from which to budget annually.
Boyfriend makes his own hard apple cider and invested in a carbonation system instead of relying upon natural carbonation a la instructions in this site: http://truetex.com/carbonation.htm It is so awesome. I drink seltzer all the time now - just carbonated tap water. Sometimes I flavor it half doses with Mio or Crystal Light and that’s nice too. I am drinking much less Diet Soda (I know I know, so anti-ERE but I like it so much!) so it’s saving me $$ too.
I’m turning 30 in three weeks. The big 3-0. My age is about to have a 3 in front of it. I’m not so much of a young-un anymore :) I feel my 20s went OK. They were very busy. I had so many major life events. I am so grateful that I can think back to each year and what I was focused/working on and feel that I did not waste that time. I hope to make similar use of the next 10 years as well. Happy Birthday to Me :)
February’s To Do List
1) Now that my HSA is not covered by the government, Chase bank is charging me some stupid $3 fee. Fuck that. I need to find a new HSA provider and transfer it over. If anyone has any good referrals let me know.
2) I need to streamline my finances a bit - it took me like an hour to figure out my net worth and that’s crazy. Maybe I can find an easier way to track my expenses too other than just checking all of my CC transactions at the end of the month. Maybe I will genuinely try Mint.com for it’s full functionality in budget/tracking expenses, and Google Finance/Docs for tracking my net worth and investment losses/gains (Mint sucks at this for my accounts/assets.) The numbers in this post took entirely too much of my time to figure out.
3) Call up CenturyLink since I am pretty sure I am nearing the end of my promotion period for my internet price and see if I can get them to extend it another year. Maybe if I threaten to go to Comcast or another local place.
4) Figure out how to post images here better - I don't have a ton of time right now. Maybe I will edit this post later so the other columns are visible. They are just projected monthly cost on average and actual monthly average in 2013 (same as first column this time but will change next time.)

mds

Post by mds »

Damn, how do you track expenses without Mint? Like you, I don't find that it's very useful for tracking net worth since I like to break my investments up into asset classes (I use my own spreadsheet for that and manually log into Vanguard), but I would die if I didn't have an easy way to pull transactions from my credit cards and checking account in one place.
The main thing I like is that I can get a quick idea of how I'm doing in the middle of the month without logging into 5 different sites (not to mention the auto categorization).

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I do use mint for pulling in transactions but it chronically fails to connect to one of my primary bank accounts as well as 1-2 other accounts (these rotate). I also found the automatic characterization largely wrong and it annoyed me. Guess I'll try to train it though and try a bank acct workaround.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I spent Saturday with a married couple close to my boyfriend. Two events.
1) They asked me about how my job search was going or if I was looking for a job. I said, "Not really, I still have lots of money in savings so I am not really too worried about it." My boyfriend later chastised me for bragging. My thought: Hey man, I am already holding back with regards to my accomplishment, I may NEVER have to go back to work, I have so much savings. At least I didn't say that.
2) I was talking to the wife who has two young kids, ages 3 and 1. She was complaining about how hard it was to find a babysitter and how an acquaintance of hers has a babysitter she can just call whenever she needs a babysitter. I told her that since I was unemployed if she needed someone in a pinch I could help her out. She said, "Oh no, it's not that, it's just, who does that? I mean, who has absolutely nothing going on throughout the week that they can just drop everything to go babysit??? People have jobs or school or kids or other things going on, you know?" My thoughts: "hmmm I do" My words: "Ummm... yeah."
I'm finding it to be a fine line to tread: Not offending people/not bragging and yet being authentic and true to myself at the same time.