ERE Community Living in Guatemala

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
sodatrain

ERE Community Living in Guatemala

Post by sodatrain »

I'd love to kick around the idea of creating a small community on my land in Guatemala. The idea is to have something like an Intentional Community of ERE minded people. I could host at least 3-4 if not 6-10 people on my property I believe.

It is a beautiful, very low cost of living, and high on freedom/flexibility/lack of "zoning" type regulations/rules. The climate is nearly perfect (50-85F/10-27C year round).

I'm in a small village not connected to the road system. Short boat ride required! Basic staples available in the village, pretty much everything you need a 20 minute boat ride away, 3-4 hours from Guatemala City, and a short 2.5 hour flight to the US. I can see 3 volcanoes across the lake (Lake Atitlán).

Anyone interested? Anyone have advice? I know we have folks living in ICs on the forum. It's a new space for me. I'd love to share my space, meals, gardens, find overlap in our WoGs, and be available as a community now and for the future when shit gets even more real.

loutfard

Re: ERE Community Living in Guatemala

Post by loutfard »

My first association about Guatemala - and please let me stress: not more than an association- is that of a government unable to provide even basic security to the inhabitants.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

It's a complicated place for sure. I've come to believe that each place/country/etc has its challenges and problems. At least for now, I appreciate the differences and find the overall balance of quality of life (that I can live), services/systems available, climate, Guatemalan people, foreigners living here quite pleasant.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I'm still interested in coming down there. I don't usually leave the American South (mostly New Orleans) between the start of Carnival (Jan. 6) and the end of Jazz Fest (first weekend in May).

Longterm (like at least 3 years from now, possibly more) I'm looking for a place/ places to go in the summer months when the weather here is awful. I'm also auditioning places for when this place is destroyed by a hurricane or other water event.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@sodatrain- It may be helpful to provide some more details. Ie How much space do you have? What are you envisioning for accommodations, are people camping in tents or permanent structures? Can people build their own permanent structures? What’s the visa situation? Do you have neighbors? What’s the local community like? Etc.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

@theanimal - totally fair. I guess I thought I could gauge some level of interest (mostly insane vs not insane idea haha) and then build from there.

I guess ideally a few people would be interested and we could create something together. I have land for growing some food, a 2br house (650-ish sq ft), the start of a tiny house, room for a handful more tiny houses. Right on a seasonal river and the property has a small direct access to a beautiful lake.

A dozen kinds of fruit growing on the property. It's very green. One set id neighbors close by, not much else visible because of the green. Village is a short 3 minute walk away - I'm just in the outskirts. A couple small restaurants, several tiendas, one small market with fresh veggies, milk, beans etc. not connected to the roads so a short boat ride or 30 minute hike in. 20 min public transportation (boat) to a town of 10-15,000 people. it's kind of a paradise if you ask me.

Camping available immediately. Would love to collaborate with people to build a couple structures that they could live in. Visa from the US is a non issue. 90 tourist visa, renewable once. Then need a border run - or pay someone to have a "virtual" border run.

Local community is mostly Mayan with about 30 foreigners. Several different communities around the lake with varying levels of tourism. Very little tourism in my village.

@G+J - I'm absolutely still down for your visit when you have time! Definitely those I've met (EREfest) are welcome to visit. Happy to entertain the idea of visits for others connected to or on the forum!

2.5 hour flight from Houston. 3-ish hour drive from Guatemala City. I love planning travel/logistics so I'm down to help y'all plan your whole damn visit to Guatemala!

An eco village sort of thing would be the goal. Want to raise chickens, maybe some tilapia. More gardens. Community. ERE minded folks would be ideal.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

I'd be very interested in visiting

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I 100% am interested in visiting and helping build. Not long term, because I got my own Project, but rather longish stays, 1-3mo? Definitely.

I see it is only a 2,900mi bikepack from here. :D Riding through Mexico would be far outside my comfort zone... so now I'm going to have to look in to it. (I'm also thinking: crewhitch on a sailboat down, ride back up?)

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

@RoamingFrancis @AH - come on down!! Let's make it happen.

@AH - I have an Aussie friend who lives here and biked thru MX. Surely he could advise you!

Let's crew that boat together!

I have another friend here who is super off grid and out of the system. Tonight he told me he lives on < $300 a month and his goal for the year is $100 / month. A little less than 15%-ish of 1 JAFI!

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Sounds like a great, long-term project Sodatrain. I'm not sure if/when I'll get back to Central America, but will hit you up if it is on the itinerary.

For those who are interested, the location is also near a town that hosts very affordable, one-on-one Spanish language lessons. Ideal for anyone that wants to quickly improve their Spanish.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Had a good chat with @AH the other day about our respective ideas/goals etc.

He highlighted a good next step for me is probably to have some community infrastrucutre - bathroom/shower kind of stuff. Maybe a simple kitchen. Cool. I will prioritize that.

I want to, in parallel, start writing up some of the 'content' to get a website or something going to attract potential 'residents' or visitors to the part eco village part maker space community.

I was chatting with Gemini (googles AI) about the idea and it helped me express some basic ideas (I am not the writer that @AxelHeyst is!). Here is a go at the basic idea (DRAFT):
Mission:

To cultivate a mindful and collaborative community on the shores of Lake Atitlán, Guatemala, where individuals embrace freedom through mindful living, self-sufficiency, and a connection to the earth.

This mission statement focuses on the core values that guide the community's development:

Mindfulness: Environmental consciousness and personal freedom achieved through frugality.
Collaboration: Fostering a supportive network where residents contribute their talents.
Self-sufficiency: Encouraging skill development and the DIY spirit.

Vision:

To create a thriving eco-village with a vibrant maker space, welcoming both residents seeking a permanent home and project-focused visitors. Together, we will explore sustainable practices, build with local resources, and inspire each other through shared knowledge and a commitment to mindful living.

This vision statement expands on the mission, describing the ideal future state of the community:

Eco-Village & Maker Space: A place that blends eco-conscious living with a collaborative creation space.
Open to Residents and Visitors: Welcoming both those seeking a long-term home and those interested in short-term projects.
Sustainability & Collaboration: Focusing on environmental responsibility and knowledge sharing.
Mindful Living: Remaining a core principle that inspires all members of the community.
Would love your feedback...

And... who has a clever name for such a thing.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

What ChatGPT has to say... (Don't get snagged on Atitlan TerraForce - that is just GPT generated idea for a name of the place.)
Mission:
At Atitlan TerraForce, our mission is to nurture the growth of a vibrant and sustainable community that embodies the principles of financial independence, frugality, and self-sufficiency, while fostering creativity, collaboration, and personal growth. Through innovative eco-friendly practices and intentional living, we aim to create a space where individuals can live, learn, and create in harmony with the earth, whether they choose to make Atitlan TerraForce their long-term home or participate in our maker residency program. Recognizing that this is a project in its infancy, our commitment is to lay a solid foundation for future growth, promoting environmental stewardship, social cohesion, and holistic well-being from the outset.

Vision:
Our vision at Atitlan TerraForce is to cultivate a flourishing community that exemplifies sustainable living, financial independence, and creative expression, rooted in the values and beliefs of the Early Retirement Extreme (ERE) community. We envision a welcoming space where residents and visitors alike are empowered to embrace simplicity, creativity, and community, whether they choose to settle at Atitlan TerraForce for an extended period or participate in our maker residency program. As we embark on this journey, we recognize that Atitlan TerraForce is a project in its infancy, and our vision is to nurture its growth into a vibrant community where individuals can live in alignment with their values, achieve their dreams, and contribute to a more sustainable and equitable world. Together, we strive to create a place where the seeds of positive change are sown, inspiring others to join us on the path towards a life of purpose, abundance, and sustainability.