How to manage a wax[ed cotton] jacket?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

How to manage a wax[ed cotton] jacket?

Post by jacob »

I'm clueless, please enlighten me.

I know that getting wax on and wax off is possible, but what is the best strategy?

I know that a fully waxed jacket is horrible to wear (compared to Goretex et al.) so I'm thinking only covering the upper-facing (positive z-axis) parts and leaving everything else unwaxed for breathing?

Slevin

Re: How to manage a wax[ed cotton] jacket?

Post by Slevin »

How to Wax
Sometimes wind and water resistance isn’t your number one priority. Sometimes you want your garments to allow for airflow, like when it’s warm and sunny. In this case, it’s a good idea to remove Wax. All you have to do is wash your garment at 105°F two or three times.
Waxed Jacket vs. waterproof materials

They talk about their proprietary materials here, but its practically the same with cotton.

Also, I wear a waxed jacket fairly often in the wintertime. I don't think its uncomfortable at all. Definitely much heavier than Gortex, but that also means it is much more durable.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I talked to my business partner who wears a Filson one for construction. https://www.filson.com/blog/how-to/rewax-filson-jacket/
Despite the recommendations to not use beeswax from Filson, he uses SnowSeal to reseal it. He said a hair dryer would be better than a heat gun to warm the wax slower and allow it to penetrate the fibers. He also said to make sure to brush the jacket to get all the dirt and old wax off prior to resealing it. You do not want dirt to stay in the fibers and seal them in. They will work themselves loose and make that section less water proof.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

To take it to 11, check this DIY tin cloth treatment out [youtube]. I haven't tried it but its on my list.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:42 pm
To take it to 11, check this DIY tin cloth treatment out [youtube]. I haven't tried it but its on my list.
I'm so disappointed he goes through all the complicated selection criteria, but then at the end doesn't even do a proper static column test to actually check the results! Just swishes some water on it and says "yeah that's good".

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Note Páramo (UK) produces jackets using Nikwax Analogy Waterproof, a modern breathable textile more durable and repairable than anything Goretex. I use a Páramo Cascada jacket for exactly that reason. Even before discovering of ERE, I researched that, just because it felt right. And yes, that included trying find it much cheaper tham retail.