How do ERE people approach death

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
okumurahata

Re: How do ERE people approach death

Post by okumurahata »

chenda wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:24 pm
You remind me of this guy

https://youtu.be/HhBkC6B9I2U?feature=shared
I align with the premises of that video, but the segment about marriage and children clearly highlighted that he misjudged his prime.

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

By the way, my prime should be the exact same day that I achieve FI (if I achieve it). Minimum age, plus maximum money, plus minimum responsibilities. Following okumurahata’s optimal death point theory, it would be quite depressing to mix the farewell party at my job with my funeral.

chenda

Post by chenda »

In Hinduism and other dharmic traditions it is considered that a human birth is considered to be extremely fortunate, as it gives you the opportunity to escape samsara. If you check out too early you might have to go through 1000s of other rebirths, perhaps as lower lifeforms such as wolves and worms, before getting the chance again. There is increasing evidence of reincarnation (and, indeed, a blissful afterlife) so I would gentle encourage you to take this opportunity to obtain moksha (salvation in Christian parlence)

Jean

Post by Jean »

Cattle die, kindred die, we ourselves also die; but the fair fame never dies of him who has earned it.

I try to live as if i was going to reincarnate, as it gives a great meaning to the future.

chenda

Post by chenda »

''And so with us...We come, we go, and, as individuals, we are forgotten. But the stream of human life goes on, ever changing, but ever the same, and as the stream is fed by well-springs hoarded by Nature so the stream of humanity is fed by the store of accumulated wisdom and effort and hard-won experience of past generations. Lapping peacefully over the shallows, running dark in the shade, wrestling turbulently with the obstacles, ever changing, yet ever the same, it continues''

Still glides the stream.

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

Being born as a human is indeed a stroke of fortune. If you’re born under occidental conditions, things start even more in your favour.

However, a part of ERE involves emulating the behaviour of animals: consuming less, working less, living more aligned with nature. Sometimes, with my limited cognitive abilities, I find myself somewhat envious of the lives of the birds I see in the morning. Surely, they endure things difficult to comprehend for me. But do they suffer as much as we humans do? Difficult to know.

The ability to disconnect our ‘Operating System’ at any given time makes us more free as humans, but only if we’re able to choose this option without being judged. It seems logical to me that we, even after having great appreciation for life, can rationally decide when to stop. ERE practitioners are particularly adept at recognising when ‘enough’ is sufficient. There ought to be a system in place for determining when a life has had its fill.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Meh, ramblings

delay

Post by delay »

okumurahata wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:37 pm
Sometimes, with my limited cognitive abilities, I find myself somewhat envious of the lives of the birds I see in the morning. Surely, they endure things difficult to comprehend for me.
That thought has occurred to me too! Birds give up a lot to be able to fly. Nature has scrapped weight until just the essentials are left. Kind of like an ERE person scraps expenses.

Birds are almost defenseless when encountered on the ground. That doesn't map well to ERE people.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

There is increasing evidence of reincarnation (and, indeed, a blissful afterlife) so I would gentle encourage you to take this opportunity to obtain moksha (salvation in Christian parlence)
Care to share? Doubt this myself tbh but would be an interesting read(s). I absolutely DO NOT want to be reincarnated. I hit the jackpot being born at the peak of technological innovation and in a country that is most resilient to resource constraints, but right before the coming catastrophes that humans will endure this millennium.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Lemur wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:10 am
Care to share? Doubt this myself tbh but would be an interesting read(s). I absolutely DO NOT want to be reincarnated.
There have been one or two well documented cases of past life memories which are hard to explain through a materialist paradigm. The Marty Martyn / Ryan Hammonds case is very interesting, there is a Netflix documentary about it.

I do agree with you though that coming back again sounds vaguely terrifying with the way things are going.

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

chenda wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:40 am
There have been one or two well documented cases of past life memories which are hard to explain through a materialist paradigm. The Marty Martyn / Ryan Hammonds case is very interesting, there is a Netflix documentary about it.
The evidence for that case is very weak. I'm surprised Netflix stooped so low as to make a documentary about it.

chenda

Post by chenda »

ducknald_don wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:33 am
The evidence for that case is very weak. I'm surprised Netflix stooped so low as to make a documentary about it.
The knowledge Ryan had about Marty was pretty extraordinary and not in the public domain. Ryan even corrected Marty's birth certificate which wrongly recorded his death date.

Henry

Post by Henry »

It would suck to die and then wake up to find yourself having to start planning for retirement all over again.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Henry wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:16 am
It would suck to die and then wake up to find yourself having to start planning for retirement all over again.
It sure would. Fortunately most near death experiences (another subject of growing interest) suggest most of us will end up in a blissful heavenly state greeted by love ones.

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

I imagine heaven as a place where I can wake up without any alarms, do some swimming, have coffee here, read a book there, flâneur here, flâneur there, let’s go to the beach, let’s have sex here, let’s try it there. Eat a new menu from heaven’s buffet, take a nap, engage in some sports. Oh, tonight, it’s Jesus’ new monologue, etc.

chenda

Post by chenda »

okumurahata wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:22 pm
I imagine heaven as a place where I can wake up without any alarms, do some swimming, have coffee here, read a book there, flâneur here, flâneur there, let’s go to the beach, let’s have sex here, let’s try it there. Eat a new menu from heaven’s buffet, take a nap, engage in some sports. Oh, tonight, it’s Jesus’ new monologue, etc.
In Hinduism that's pretty much what the heavens (there are 7 of them) are, though perhaps with Krishna delivering the monologues. The hells are equally graduated according to ones badness.

Moksha though lies beyond materialist conceptions and is the peace which passeth all understanding...

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

okumurahata wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:22 pm
That sounds a lot like regular life for ERE folks. ;)

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

theanimal wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:01 pm
That sounds a lot like regular life for ERE folks. ;)
I would second this. :)

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

THE DOOR TO YOUR CAGE HANGS OPEN.

Heaven awaits.