ERE Marching Meetup Series

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Scott 2

Re: ERE Marching Meetup Series

Post by Scott 2 »

I'd guess these events substitute for something else a person was going to do. Ideally enough opportunities are available that people can gather locally.

Meeting like minded people in person has a cascading effect. IMO we're seeing momentum build, because it unlocks potential unavailable via online tools.

I say this as an overwhelming introvert, who both hates to leave home and hates a schedule. Getting together was good for me.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Scott 2 - valid points, I can see how face to face interaction can have a synergistic effect.

Dave

Post by Dave »

chenda wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:09 pm
I don't want to be a buzz killer but should we really be encouraging ERE meetups when it's just going to encourage long distance travel and more carbon emissions ?
I know what you're saying and the thought has crossed our minds, but there is some context that might be missing. In this last walk, 3/4 of the group lived within probably 20 miles of each other. The other was a bit further away. We don't have a super structured plan here, but the general idea is for those who are fairly local to get together and walk. While I don't want to discourage anyone from doing what they think best, I don't think the idea is that anyone is traveling long-distance for these meetups. But for folks that live close to the Chicagoland area, which is a fair number, it's a fun thing to do that requires some modest amount of driving. We may venture a bit further away another time, but this isn't something where people are flying in from out of town or hundreds and hundreds of miles are being driven.

And to that end, to tie it to the ERE Fest, attendance is ultimately a personal decision of the attendees to make. Like Scott said above and so many said about the ERE Fest, there is something special to said for us weirdos getting together. I'm aware I'm at risk of sound like a wealthy technocrat at Davos rationalizing our flights (travels) to discuss climate issues, but for both the Marching Meetups and ERE Fests there is a broad consideration of rare social connection, skills development (which may ultimately lead to reduced footprint downstream), and enjoyment in the context of financial and ecological cost. And also like Scott said, if these events are substituted for other types of activities, the actual net impact might be nil. For example, I would love to do a family vacation to an ERE Fest like theanimals did, and we would probably do that in lieu of another trip. Of course, the specifics will vary tremendously.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Yes there can be many benefits and the impact could be negible.

International love is a beautiful thing, for example.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Aiming for number 3 on December 17th.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Unfortunately I'll miss being able to participate in the next one by a couple days. If there is interest and availability, I'd like to be so bold to propose number 4 sometime during the weekend of January 6.

Dave

Post by Dave »

theanimal wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:12 pm
Unfortunately I'll miss being able to participate in the next one by a couple days. If there is interest and availability, I'd like to be so bold to propose number 4 sometime during the weekend of January 6.
I'm almost certain I will be in the area that weekend, and I'd be down to do this. I'll be unavailable for walks in February, so would love to get another one in before March.

This is all tentative, but we talked about doing the next walk (the December one) a bit further north. Maybe we plan on doing the January 6 or 7 walk in Chicagoland again, for anyone interested?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I'd be up for something in January.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Dave wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:56 pm
This is all tentative, but we talked about doing the next walk (the December one) a bit further north.
Anyone have any ideas?

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

The Van Patten Woods Forest Preserve might be a good option. It's right on the Wisconsin/Illinois border.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/illi ... serve-loop

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Oh and I should be able to make January work as well!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Smashter wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:11 pm
The Van Patten Woods Forest Preserve might be a good option. It's right on the Wisconsin/Illinois border.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/illi ... serve-loop
This looks like a great option to me. We could run 3, maybe 4 loops if we're feeling intrepid.

Usual 8AM?

How's that sound to @jacob and @scott 2, if interested? I could drive and bring both of you guys.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Dave wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:48 pm
This looks like a great option to me. We could run 3, maybe 4 loops if we're feeling intrepid.

Usual 8AM?

How's that sound to @jacob and @scott 2, if interested? I could drive and bring both of you guys.
It's getting colder and darker, so starting later is better. 9 or 10am. Also if some concern is the possibility of snow and ice.

I thought the goal was to go for a longer distance this time. 4 loops is 27km and 5 is 34km, which would take 4.5 -- 6 hours. If so, I'll drop the weight down to 20lbs or so.

Dave

Post by Dave »

jacob wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:28 am
It's getting colder and darker, so starting later is better. 9 or 10am. Also if some concern is the possibility of snow and ice.

I thought the goal was to go for a longer distance this time. 4 loops is 27km and 5 is 34km, which would take 4.5 -- 6 hours. If so, I'll drop the weight down to 20lbs or so.
Split the difference, 930? Yeah, we'll have to watch the weather as we get closer.

I'm good with whatever distance, more sounds good with me but I wasn't sure where you were with your shoe situation. Since you guys have the weight vests you can decide how you want to scale, 4 or 5 loops. Can also play it by ear.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

@Dave - I appreciate the offer to drive, but I'm going to opt out of this one. The car time and march distance are beyond what I will enjoy. The vision and headache issues I am chasing, coupled with my general sensory sensitivity, make me annoyingly fragile. So I plan accordingly and leave exits (ie my wife was available to drive home last time). Heading to WI for a 30km hike is well beyond those limits.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@Scott 2 very understandable! You will be missed.

9:30 on Dec. 17th works for me. I say we do as many loops as it takes until there is only one person left standing. Everyone bring a bag of lentils, winner gets to take them all home.

(but really, 4 or 5 loops will be great, let's see how we're feeling)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

This year's rogue invitational opened with a ruck. Men started with 100lbs for a mile:

https://youtu.be/KMPNlzVNiMc?start=4410

Pretty sick. Especially given what they go on to do after.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:01 pm
This year's rogue invitational opened with a ruck. Men started with 100lbs for a mile:
I noticed they were sponsored by Goruck. (This is the backpack^H^H...rucksack I'm running around with) Goruck also does their own events. See https://www.goruckevents.com/goruck-challenge ... I'm concerned they're a bit too "oorah" for my sensibilities, but who knows ... I have a friend who went to an event and apparently bonded for life with some of the people there.

Running with that amount of weight (as seen in the video) is a mistake I only made once (so far). It's murder on the joints. It helps being in your twenties!

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Whoa, I didn't know the Rogue invitational was a thing. Those dudes are beasts. Very impressive.

The fact that dear leader Jacob has a Goruck is making it easier and easier to justify dropping a couple hundred bucks on one. And would you look at that, their early black friday sale has already started...

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

GoRuck packs are an almost exact ripoff of the standard Army issue pack. The premium paid is just for the brand, not better materials. You should be able to find an equivalent pack at a surplus store or maybe even ebay for $20-40.