Retired and bored?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

Re: Retired and bored?

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:38 am
I'm interested in what people choose to do with their freedom-to when there's no longer anyone telling them with to do.
Each of us has our own Goldilocks point. I found that if I spend too much time in pure freedom-to pursuits, they make the random, required events or situations that inevitably intrude into all of our lives feel almost unbearable. Too much of a good thing....

Last week I had to go to the DMV to renew my driver's license in person to ensure I get it in time for our trip. I was not happy about it. A young professional woman sat down next to me and we struck up a conversation. In additional to her corporate job she is a new mother with a toddler. She looked around the room and said, "No meetings or crying kiddo. This is bliss. I hope it takes hours for them to call my number."

One person's freedom-from is another's freedom-to.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Dave Ramsey contextualizes money within the heuristic of peace not freedom. He does this because he is primarily marketing to wage earners and a demographic where the majority will top out between $1-2MM. But he also knows that these are people who are seeking financial security in oder to remain embedded in their communities, their families, their cultures, their religions, their political affiliations more comfortably. It's a pluralistic notion of freedom which places an emphasis on people living lives that that they already lead with a better financial picture. They are not trying to move up or move out. This opposes the more rationalistic view of freedom which emphasizes the ability to transform or transcend one's embedded life. I think its more a matter of emphasis than dichotomy that we all at some level struggle with.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Henry wrote:I think its more a matter of emphasis than dichotomy that we all at some level struggle with.
One problem with the Dave Ramsey heuristic from the perspective of the not-particularly-optimistic rational perspective would be that things are bound to get "interesting" in the 21st century, regardless of one's druthers for "peace", "comfort", and "security." And, in fact, such striving within our relatively affluent communities is likely to contribute to the crash.( I make this observation as somebody who has recently affirmed that she will spend not entirely insignificant amounts of money in order to make herself comfortable at the level of "not in chronic pain/disbility" and in order to help out her own grown children if/when they are in late-early-adulthood crisis situation and/or throwing a wedding*, etc. )

It has also been my experience, that many people who are retired or self-employed, IF they are also a social type will naturally tend towards wanting to create some kind of project/aspect-of-lifestyle in which they are the "boss." This is why a lot of divorces occur when also tending towards affluent E--J types retire. For instance, the only reason I lasted even a few years living with my early retired second "husband" was that we had different sleep schedules, so I had 6 hours to myself in the morning, before he woke up and tried to make me help him with his projects and/or tried to take over my projects, if I made the mistake of mentioning any of them to him. Unfortunately, I have made this mistake more than once, because I am okay with riding shotgun on somebody else's project and/or even taking on paid employment while I am still on the initial steep learning curve.

Beyond access to some learning curves while being paid, I think Ego's Goldilocks comment is relevant to my choices in terms of basic feeling I get from the social environment provided. For instance, I find this forum on the cool edge of stimulating, while I find working with the disadvantaged children on the warm edge of boring. I don't expect to find every aspect of social interaction I might desire in any given setting/community. Therefore, since I desire a variety, it's usually not a big deal to also manage to get paid for what I bring to the mix in some of the settings.

IOW, it's important to recognize where you wish to find yourself in the hierarchy/holarchy when it comes to your projects that are social. I find that I actually prefer a mix of independent-solo, social-in-charge-teaching/managing, social-in-the-follow-learning/building, and social-co-operating. However, I would note that it has been my experience that social-co-operating is the most difficult structure to find/create/maintain. The tendency to devolve to chaos, non-productive conflict or hierarchy is strong. As every boring business book ever written notes, productive collaboration requires shared motivation and vision. Productive collaboration would have to be found in partnerships formed at the cusp of The Renaissance Man and The Business Man.

Henry

Post by Henry »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:15 am
One problem with the Dave Ramsey heuristic from the perspective of the not-particularly-optimistic rational perspective would be that things are bound to get "interesting" in the 21st century, regardless of one's druthers for "peace", "comfort", and "security."
I think if history has shown us anything, the majority of people will be more concerned with their pickle ball scores than deciphering the age in which they live. How that plays out, who knows.

DutchGirl

Re: Retired and bored

Post by DutchGirl »

Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:48 am
I live in a community with a bunch of retirees. (...) Traditional retirees are dangerous people and should be avoided at all costs.
Err, sounds like you need to move?

Last year I spent some time thinking on how I would like to spend my time when retired. I really considered doing volunteer work, and then I also thought about how one of the places where I can contribute to society is by doing my job. And I'm pretty good at it. To keep doing it, you need to keep your certifications and work experience up to date. And the organizational/societal structure doesn't allow volunteers to do this role. And finally, after some deep soul searching I must admit that if I keep doing this job, I would also like to be paid for it as a reward and as a token of appreciation.

So, ultimately, I will probably keep working, at least part time, as my contribution to society; and I will probably gift some of the salary to charitable organizations that I like to support.

Right now my attempt at part time work was thwarted by my colleague having a ski accident (and me deciding to step up and work more hours), but in a few weeks I hope to have more free time again to spend on things outside of work.

PhoneticNachos

Post by PhoneticNachos »

My parents are in their mid 60's and are thriving in their retirement.

They have monthly tickets with a group of friends to see local theatre productions. Go on weekly day trips with them, and others.

Do daily exercise classes/pickleball/hikes/swimming. Some days they do all 4!

They continue to be an inspiration on how to lead present, caring lives that are in touch and in step with each other and their needs as a couple.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

jacob wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:38 am
WOG
Word of God?

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Web of Goals, chapter 5.1.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

or ERE 5:1 ;)

Seriously though, I struggle to comprehend the idea of boredom, while retired or not. I am not traditionally retired, but had long spells of very vaguely externally structured time in the past so this could serve as a proxy. Isn't it the case that whatever the challenge level, it is very often possible to set up some handicaps to make it more interesting?

Whenever I hear somebody says they are bored, I am either thankful they are not talking to me or trying to find my way out of the conversation as soon as I can.

PhoneticNachos

Post by PhoneticNachos »

Practice mindfulness, and being grateful about your privilege compared to 99% of people could help.
In this day and age the 1% really need to understand how hard most people are living in their day to day lives.
Out of control inflation in the US, rent and COL going out of control.
Jobs going away in all sorts of industry.
Read books, start a garden, spend time with family and neighbors, help them understand things they can do to get to where you are. Most rich people are greedy and walled-off from their neighbors. Be better, and help lift up your community.
Start/contribute to a charity, sign up to the giving pledge, and pledge to give your fortune to charity upon your death.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8YgqN9cG84

5:24 The trouble with something like a finicky job like a canoe renovation or building a house is that you become oppressively tied to it unless you have circuit breakers. Running has always done that for me. It has always been my reboot. I think I have a really good balanced, sustainable life because I run.

6:55 I love making things when I'm really in the thick of it. I sometimes get carried away and you think, "I wish I was at the finish line just now. I wish I was finished standing here with a cold beer tomorrow looking at this finished project." Now that's a horrible place to be because life will all of a sudden be over if you're always thinking about the beer moment and about tomorrow. I've just gotta be really happy with just each chunk of crafting I do between running laps.

16:20 I don't really care for happiness or resilience. Well, I do, but I actually think they're byproducts of being busy making and fixing things with purpose.

Jin+Guice

Re: Retired and bored

Post by Jin+Guice »

I also suffer from the prospect of having too much to do that @jacob describes. Having a social/ dating/ drug aspect to your life rather than only focusing on projects also makes less life boring (if you are stoked on those things) OR makes your time even more difficult to manage.

I think a job is a false sense of meaning. Are most of you doing things that matter in a legacy sense? There is a cultural tradition of finding the small amount of meaning in our jobs as a social nicety to discuss with strangers. But it seems to me that 95% jobs are 95% bullshit.
Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:48 am
Traditional retirees are batshit fucking crazy. Like flying out of their windows in their onesies Cocoon fucking crazy. It's somewhere between Hell's Angels and The Golden Girls but it's not the Golden years it's the descent into pure fucking madness years.
Can you talk more about this? I crave details.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Jin+Guice wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:49 am

Can you talk more about this? I crave details.
The most important thing to know about old people are that they are the most impressionable people on the planet. But they can't be organized. That is why they are useless. So a 55 and older community is essentially a cult compound without the ability to manipulate people into doing anything productive let alone criminal. Yes you can whip them up into a frenzy by mere suggestion on a daily basis, but you'll never get them to Helter Skelter let alone listen to one side of The White Album because they can't remain focused. You can tell them every morning that the world is going to end and they'll scuttle about for a few hours gossiping and panicking like it's real but by 4:00PM they've petered out or forgotten. Plus, they make friends like little kids do. You live next door, your friends. But issues develop because they are not five but 75 and for the past 70 years they've invidually been racists, or idiots, or arrogant assholes so they wind up confusing the shit out of each other. So it's not until after they've put their heads together and attempted to do something and it blows up in their faces does the CPA who worked his whole life for the IRS realize he's been working shoulder to shoulder with the former head of the local chapter of the Aryan Brotherhood. The other issue is that they no longer understand consequences or believe they should apply to them. Cause and effect are thrown to the wayside. If an old person drives their car through someone's house and kills the entire family they are still thinking about getting home in time for Wheel of Fortune and honestly don't see why they shouldn't be. And of course when they wake up the next morning with a steering wheel imprint in their fucking forehead they don't want to be inconvenienced with being accused of vehicular homicide when they need to get to the beauty parlor.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Henry - Out of interest how old are you ?

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

chenda wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:22 pm
@Henry - Out of interest how old are you ?
I have a lot of sympathy with Henry's complaints even though I'm very close to sixty.

chenda

Post by chenda »

ducknald_don wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:31 pm
I have a lot of sympathy with Henry's complaints even though I'm very close to sixty.
Just to be clear I wasn't been snarky I was genuinely curious.

But how does one avoid or minimise this in old age ?

Henry

Post by Henry »

I'm 57. Old but not really fucking old. Plus I'm extremely immature so that keeps me young. But let's get this straight. Widows are the most dangerous, pernicious threat facing humankind today. Not nuclear weapons or Hamas or the Medellin Drug Cartel (if there is a member on the forum please don't dox me) or global warming but the herds of coiffed flatassed old ladies roaming the streets with those yap yapping tight assed fu fu fucking dogs strong arming new recruits in a manner that would make the South Central Los Angeles Crips stop and say those bitches aint playing. People need to take notice. No joke. You see one in your neighborhood it's time to pack your shit and get out.

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

Henry wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:17 pm
I'm 57.
Never thought of you as a 50-something guy. Didn’t expect that the written word could have on me the same effect as when you heard your favourite radio presenter on the radio for years, and then you saw her on a TV programme.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Henry wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:17 pm
I'm 57. Old but not really fucking old. Plus I'm extremely immature so that keeps me young.
Hah, thank you for sharing your age. It was somewhat of a surprise to me. My imagination cast you as relatively young, immature, very-much-want-to-be-cynical in a strangely playful way, sharp and eloquent in a coquetting-with-old-fashionedly-well-kept-language style.

Henry

Post by Henry »

okumurahata wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:16 pm
when you heard your favourite radio presenter on the radio for years, and then you saw her on a TV programme.
I'll never forget seeing Aunt Jemima for the first time.