Confusing your emotional reaction to another's action with the action itself

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Hristo Botev

Confusing your emotional reaction to another's action with the action itself

Post by Hristo Botev »

Specifically, the young folks saying something "is cringe" instead of saying that that something made them cringe; is this a harbinger of some sort of deeper generational shift from the way a Gen X person's internal brain furniture works, for example, to the way a Zoomer's brain furniture works?

Or is "that's cringe" just the latest in a centuries' long tradition of young folks identifying something based on how that something makes them react emotionally (and if so, what are some other examples?)?

Credit the latest OGB podcast for making me wonder about this: https://onlinegreatbooks.com/175-taylor ... education/

Western Red Cedar

Re: Confusing your emotional reaction to another's action with the action itself

Post by Western Red Cedar »

I think this reflects the way each generation plays with language. The vernacular is constantly shifting.

I think the example of "is cringe" or "that's cringe" is just short for "that's cringeworthy". Maybe similar to a Gen X use of "that's wicked", "that's dope", "that's sweet", "that's righteous"?

Jean

Re: Confusing your emotional reaction to another's action with the action itself

Post by Jean »

since this issue is at the core of what non violent communication tries to address, and nvc is several decades old, it's probably not something new.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

+1 to what WRC said. No different from “that’s cool” or “that’s weird.” The tacked on “in my opinion” is silent.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

"That's cringe" just means something is uncool or a social faux pas. Obviously, what is uncool or faux pas is subjective, but there's really no deeper meaning to it than saying "this thing is uncool."

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Don't Gen X and older also say "That's embarrassing"? That seems to express the same sentiment in the same way confused way.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

cringe = it gives me second-hand embarassment

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

@OP, I don't know if this was covered in the podcast (didn't listen), but, outside of the emotional context, what you are describing is essentially nominalization.

e.g. "To cringe" (verb) > is "cringe" (noun)

This process can also work backwards, e.g. "Google" (a search engine, noun)>"to google" (to search on internet, verb). Personally, I don't see any deep connection to generational differences and/or emotional reactions; I think it's just a little quirk of language.