Fire escape ladder mounting

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Fire escape ladder mounting

Post by jacob »

I'm looking to install a fire escape ladder from the second floor. It seems to me that the most robust solution is a ladder like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9Q6Z53/

(cf. the more popular version which is made of webbing and aluminum steps and hooks over the window sill)

It would be secured via two carabiners that I plan to attach to two lag eyescrews that are screwed into the studs under the window on the inside. In case of a fire, attach the carabiners to the eyes and "throw" the ladder over the window sill and out the window. Does this make sense?

My main concern would be the size of the eyescrews required to hold a human swinging around on a ladder compared to e.g. holding a hammock. The fact that the force is perpendicular (going up the wall on the inside) to the screw (going into the stud) brings some peace of mind, but the shock loads may be high?!

chenda

Re: Fire escape ladder mounting

Post by chenda »

Are there no regulatory guidelines or requirements?

ffj

Post by ffj »

I've got one with the hooks if you want it. How timely with the clutter discussion going on, haha. I've got a porch roof I can jump onto in my current house. PM me if interested.

I would trust the cheap eyebolts if they were big enough. I think the WLL is still around 2 or 3 hundred pounds iirc. If you want something rated for life safety I would use this fastened with a grade 8 screw lag: https://www.amazon.com/S-PEAK-Stainless ... hdGY&psc=1

It would look a lot better too.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I started with an old climbing rope doubled over and knotted every six feet or so. There are two pairs of fast-roping gloves in the bottom of the case. I figured rope-burnt hands and possibly feet are better than whole body burns. I have since found the hook and ladder type but it is a few feet short for our egress.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@chenda - I doubt it. This is already one step above and beyond owning a fire extinguisher which is not required. However, where we live fire alarms ARE required and there are regulations for that.

@ffj - Much appreciated, PM'ed.

@ego - I'd happily do that using a 2x4 as a brace or even drop 10 feet from a hanging position and break an ankle, but I don't trust DW on that strategy nor my ability to catch her.