Good morning from Montreal !

Say hello!!
mleroux79

Good morning from Montreal !

Post by mleroux79 »

Hello !

My name is Magali. I am a 43-year-old female living with my 13-year-old cat in Montreal, Canada. I have been interested in FIRE for a number of years now. I believe I live a frugal, minimalist lifestyle. My only high expense is my rent at 1,100 CAD $, but I live in a central area. The rest of my expenses are at around 500 CAD $. Since I live in a central area, I don't have a car, I walk everywhere or sometimes take the public transport (not on a daily basis, so no monthly pass). I rarely shop. For instance, I haven't bought a single item of clothing in one year, and I don't wear make-up. I rarely go to restaurants, and rarely drink alcohol. I have few possessions. I have no microwave, no dishwasher, no AC. There's a lot of free entertainment in Montreal (parks, festivals, etc.), so I rarely pay for entertainment.

I worked in engineering for many years, I now work part time as a maps analyst for Telus International (formerly Lionbridge). I think I will keep this job for as long as I can because it is easy and stress-free.

I am looking forward to meeting like-minded people here on the forum. :-)

Have a nice day,
Magali

Cam

Re: Good morning from Montreal !

Post by Cam »

Welcome to the forum Magali! I always love to see another canuck on the forum. I'm in northern ontario myself, though I do plan on travelling to Quebec at some point through some cultural exchange (live for free, but work around the farm/house in return). It's a beautiful province, and I'm learning french, so it works great!

Have you always been in Quebec or did you move there?

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Bienvenue! Montreal is probably one of the best places in Canada for ERE. Lower rents (for now) and lots to do in an accessible area. Your costs are impressively low, if it wasn't for the rent you'd have me beat. How are you handling the smoke without AC or some form of air filter?

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Welcome!

mleroux79

Post by mleroux79 »

Cam wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:36 am
Welcome to the forum Magali! I always love to see another canuck on the forum. I'm in northern ontario myself, though I do plan on travelling to Quebec at some point through some cultural exchange (live for free, but work around the farm/house in return). It's a beautiful province, and I'm learning french, so it works great!

Have you always been in Quebec or did you move there?
I've always lived in Montreal, except for one year where I was in Western Canada (Edmonton), four months in Boston and one year in Switzerland. That was all back from when I was in University in the late 90's / early 00's. Since almost everyone I know (family, close friends) lives in Montreal, it makes it easier for transportation costs. I never have to travel anywhere to meet people. I don't have a strong urge to travel anymore, I'd rather stay home and do free activities here. Not travelling keeps the costs down !

mleroux79

Post by mleroux79 »

basuragomi wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:32 am
Bienvenue! Montreal is probably one of the best places in Canada for ERE. Lower rents (for now) and lots to do in an accessible area. Your costs are impressively low, if it wasn't for the rent you'd have me beat. How are you handling the smoke without AC or some form of air filter?
Merci ! :-)

The smoke from forest fires was very bad only for one day (last Sunday), so it isn't too bad. I was outside at the park that day, as were many people. No form of exercice, just sitting in the park. :-)

Frita

Post by Frita »

Welcome, Magali! It’s always exciting to have more women and middle-agers. As a fellow non-makeup wearer in a world where using it seems to be de rigueur, I am curious to hear your story.

mleroux79

Post by mleroux79 »

Frita wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:54 pm
Welcome, Magali! It’s always exciting to have more women and middle-agers. As a fellow non-makeup wearer in a world where using it seems to be de rigueur, I am curious to hear your story.
Thanks, Frita ! :-)

My story is simple, I've just never been interested in make-up. Never wore it. I don't understand why you have to cover your face with anything. I'd rather be myself than a disguised version of myself. :-) What's your story ?

Frita

Post by Frita »

I grew up in a family and community where it was normal for women to want to be wives and mothers. Part of this narrative was complying to beauty norms of not leaving the house without one’s “face” on because men don’t like it. Playing dress up to include makeup, come as you are parties (dragged out of bed but no men allowed, the anxiety of being seen), encouraging dating as superior to friendships, and marrying young were very common. While I didn’t wear it outside adventuring or during competitive swimming (used it for leisure swimming), I thought I I had to wear it.

In my late 20s, I started wearing less and less makeup (just moisturizer/sunscreen). I notice that my skin had less breakouts and my life was easier (less pressure for a complicated hairstyle, not using makeup remover before washing my face, not accidentally sleeping with it on) and more joyful (feeling more authentic than wearing a disguise).*

Now I live where most women don’t wear it. The opposite happens in that there is more shaming for using makeup, like being less intelligent or uninformed. Not cool. I think we each have a right to make our own choice.

* I was on hiatus while living in Tulsa, mostly for work. I wore tinted moisturizer, eyeliner and mascara, and tinted lipgloss with my long hair pulled back. I stuck out big time and was often offered makeovers. :lol: My standard response was, “Only if I can give you one.” There were no takers. (My level of self-acceptance had certainly increased.)

mleroux79

Post by mleroux79 »

You are right, there is shaming on both sides, users and non users, when there shouldn't be. I have dear friends that wear make up, it's simply part of who they are. How old are you now if I may ask, and where do you live ?

Frita

Post by Frita »

mleroux79 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:35 pm
You are right, there is shaming on both sides, users and non users, when there shouldn't be. I have dear friends that wear make up, it's simply part of who they are. How old are you now if I may ask, and where do you live ?
55, western USA

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Bienvenue !

I grew up on the Montreal south shore and have been living in the Yukon Territory for the last 16 years. Montreal is in deed a great place for ERE people. Cheaper housing, food, metro/bike/walk living.

Would you consider not working at all, leaving the Telus job behind and do other things instead ?

mleroux79

Post by mleroux79 »

Colibri wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:04 pm
Bienvenue !

I grew up on the Montreal south shore and have been living in the Yukon Territory for the last 16 years. Montreal is in deed a great place for ERE people. Cheaper housing, food, metro/bike/walk living.

Would you consider not working at all, leaving the Telus job behind and do other things instead ?
I'm not in a financial position when I cannot work at all, and the Telus job is easy and stress-free, so I keep it for the moment. What is your situation like in Yukon ? Is housing cheap ? I imagine you must have a car ?

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Yes I have a car, it is a car centric place where I live. The city is quite spread out, the transit system is O.K. but could be improved (we finally got Sunday service last year ).

Housing is very expensive. Although, it helps that we have a wide range of housing types. From a dowtown condo to a cabin with no running water and anything in between.

I very much enjoy living here. There is a very low humans per square km ratio, caribou outnumber humans. Cost of living is a bit higher than south of 60 but there is also greater opportunities to live as one whish. I pulled the plug on full-time work about 6 years ago and do occasional freelance work since then. On paper, I am financially independent but I don't wish to stop freelance work yet and mentally speaking, not ready to live off my investments ( but will do at some point).
I understand the appeal of easy and stress-free work !