Investing dreams

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
EricG

Investing dreams

Post by EricG »

For something different...has anyone else here experienced a dream related to investing and feel like sharing?

Last night, in my dreams, Warren Buffet visited my parents in a dimly-lit 80s brown shag carpet interior ranch house to discuss an unmentioned business prospect they had with him. I kept trying to discuss investment strategy with him but he would only smile and nod. He and his wife were in my dream's version of my parents' living room, watching my two adult siblings play video games. Eventually they filed into some corporate office meeting room in the house where a bunch of eager young business professionals were all waiting, and were handing out meeting papers and stuff to one another, and since I had no idea what was going on and because I hate almost everything about offices I decided to duck out of the meeting and the dream.

Henry

Re: Investing dreams

Post by Henry »

Must suck to not even be able to dream that you're rich.

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

@EricG, how do you duck out of a dream? You woke up?

Are you doing or interested in doing dreamwork with such dreams?

@Henry, good luck controlling directly the content of your dreams.

Chris

Post by Chris »

EricG

Post by EricG »

OutOfTheBlue wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:02 pm
@EricG, how do you duck out of a dream? You woke up?

Are you doing or interested in doing dreamwork with such dreams?

@Henry, good luck controlling directly the content of your dreams.
Hey OutOfTheBlue. I woke up at the end of the dream, for whatever reason(s).

Sometimes I try to interpret my dreams, but I've never sat down with someone trained in dreamwork. Do you have any recommendations for going about dreamwork by oneself? A few years ago I read Freud's Interpretation of Dreams, and I sometimes like to write down dreams I can remember.

I think my dream, my partial interpretation of it, does have some tangible relation to this section of the forums. The past few years, I have been investing in renewable energy and electric vehicle companies, and don't really know where to find better insight for this sort of thing. Mostly I have been searching the internet for general information and recommendations and looking at stock prices over time, but I would really like to find some place where the actual goods and services being sold by these companies, as well as the environmental impacts (good and bad) of the goods and services, are cleanly and honestly summarized.

I went down the path of investing in renewables and electric vehicles because at one time I assumed they were part of the solution to some of the world's most pressing problems. In moderation I think they could be, however, I am slowly becoming convinced that most if not all of the leading companies in these areas have sociopathic and destructive business philosophies and practices like any other mega financial organization, simply to sell as much as possible and keep costs as low as possible without considering externalities (environment, communities, etc.). Are there any companies out there with investment potential with highly beneficial goods and services provided en masse more conscientiously, or are these two things practically guaranteed to be mutually exclusive?

EricG

Post by EricG »

Chris wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:15 pm
Related topic: Do you dream about money?
Thanks. It would be nice to have more of the first subject in M's dreamscape (sex).

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

Thanks for sharing. Recently, I've become very interested about dreamwork and have been reading and learning on this subject. Yes, there are some resources I'd like to share for doing this on your own, although they are not necessarily geared toward interpretation per se. I'll send you a PM.

Regarding the rest of your post, it reminds me of the controversial ESG principle (Coinbureau has a few videos on it on YT), but more particularly of that article on Patagonia the company. Pity one can't invest on it:

Patagonia’s billionaire owner gives away company to fight climate crisis - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -chouinard

Quotes:

“Instead of ‘going public’, you could say we’re ‘going purpose’,” said Chouinard. “Instead of extracting value from nature and transforming it into wealth for investors, we’ll use the wealth Patagonia creates to protect the source of all wealth.”

[...]

“Instead of exploiting natural resources to make shareholder returns, we are turning shareholder capitalism on its head by making the Earth our only shareholder".

EricG

Post by EricG »

I wish there were more CEOs out there like the Patagonia one.

It seems like ESG and similar environmental initiatives on behalf of large companies will always intentionally contain some loopholes that these companies will be able to take advantage of in order to secure government subsidies. For example, when I left Louisiana, companies were lining up to take advantage of subsidies for carbon sequestration. These companies, most of which are producing hydrogen from natural gas ('blue hydrogen'), primarily for ammonia fertilizer production, will likely create more of a waste product (carbon dioxide) so that they can pump it into the ground and in exchange receive millions of dollars per year in taxpayer-funded subsidies. By all appearances fossil fuel companies will have incentive to continue producing natural gas, larger quantities of available ammonia fertilizer may cause fertilizer costs to drop incentivizing fertilizer over-application and associated environmental effects (eutrophication, groundwater pollution, etc.), and carbon emissions will likely remain as they are. The companies will create new facilities for expansion of hydrogen production, with local air quality emissions that may adversely affect nearby communities as well as carbon emissions from power generation for the whole operation.

And remember the BP spill? In Louisiana, the money BP handed over for restoration of the coastline damaged by the spill is being administered by the state of Louisiana which has its own restoration plan. Since no amount of money could ever restore the Louisiana coastline (there is no way to stop regional subsidence or global sea level rise), the endeavor is mostly another means of stimulating the local economy of environmental researchers, engineering firms, construction companies, and others who will benefit from the research engineering, development, and maintenance of these projects. The state even created it's own 'independent' research arm to help confirm the restoration projects it plans to build will succeed, using twists and turns to deny the reality restoration will fail and present a grandiose narrative that if billions of dollars are spent on coastal restoration things will be better. Meanwhile, the industries, developers, politicians, etc. can continue with business as usual without having to deal with any difficult questions. Navigation channels will continue to be deepened, industry can continue as usual, new levees can be built where developers can sell people and businesses property under the false notion it will be relatively safe from flooding and hurricane damage, things can go on as usual. And when SHTF there like it does every few years, the state can simply ask for federal funding to deal with the effects and never have to develop a realistic long-term plan to help address the problems that exist there.

I could provide more examples but will leave things there. That is a big reason why I left Louisiana, it is part of the major industrial corridor of the U.S., an area where regulators and politicians continue to look the other way for the sake of wealthy companies often willing to greenwash their business operations to take advantage of government subsidies.