TIPS / Index-Linked Gilts

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
guitarplayer

TIPS / Index-Linked Gilts

Post by guitarplayer »

Please could someone refer me to a no-nonsense entry level source with an overview of inflation protected bonds issued by developed nations, ideally with interest rates split by maturity? Happy to get a link to a relevant thread on this forum and this thread to be locked / deleted.

More specific: are such instruments good for anything else than protecting the real value of capital?

No, I am not ready to read the Investment Log yet :)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: TIPS / Index-Linked Gilts

Post by jacob »

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

thanks

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

are these generally available to anyone other than the nationals of the respective country?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

ertyu wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:57 pm
are these generally available to anyone other than the nationals of the respective country?
Yeah, but the tax consequences may be strange and require some tax accountant with experience in whichever pair of countries are involved to figure out non-googleable answers.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

This was a good book, thank you. A balancing voice if it comes to talk about risk, particularly personal 'non-statistical' notion of risk. I wish there was something like this specifically for the UK circumstances.

Speaking of which: In 2023/24 I am planning to go through the investment curriculum you laid out Jacob. Is this stuff universal / translates to other developed capitalist countries well enough to go through it? Otherwise, well, I will need to emigrate to the US to apply it all ;)

avalok

Post by avalok »

guitarplayer wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 2:29 am
Is this stuff universal / translates to other developed capitalist countries well enough to go through it?
I have been going through the Bodie and Reilly-Brown textbooks at intervals; in general they are broadly applicable. Both have international editions, which are recommended for use outside the U.S. I expect it will matter more when it comes to learning about financial statement analysis, as countries have differing regulations for reporting.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Thanks Avalok that's good to know about the international editions, could find them in the Mitchell Library so might make my way there - would imagine international editions to be there (but maybe not). I'm going to start with Economics to get the foundation right.

avalok

Post by avalok »

Yeah, that is definitely the sensible route. I did look to get a copy of the McConnell-Brue book, but IIRC I struggled to find an analogous, newer edition in the UK. Now I think about it again, I don't see why that older edition wouldn't still be relevant... might look to get copy.

P.S. I want to live somewhere with a library like that; the local library here is almost exclusively full of WWII romance fiction and celebrity autobiographies.