For Coders: How to Technical Interview in 2 Days?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

For Coders: How to Technical Interview in 2 Days?

Post by TopHatFox »

I usually use Python, JS, SQL, HTML, CSS, & PHP.

1st interview is for C#/.Net, HTML, and Angular
2nd interview is for Java, JS/TS

I have two days to cram as much as possible. What’s the best way to prepare? I was thinking just doing all the tutorials on these languages on TeamTreeHouse and looking up a ton of common technical questions

ducknald_don

Re: For Coders: How to Technical Interview in 2 Days?

Post by ducknald_don »

The interviewer will probably see through any attempt to appear knowledgable on those languages. Both the languages and the supporting ecosystems are huge. You aren't going to pick up much at all in two days.

Probably better to be honest rather than trying to pull the wool over the interviewers eyes. Focus on the SQL/HTML/CSS/JS and hope they don't mind bringing you up to speed on the Java/C#. If they weren't open to this you wouldn't have got an interview.
Last edited by ducknald_don on Thu May 04, 2023 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Cool, that’s what I was thinking, tho still gonna do the tutorials so I’m not a total noob. Java/C# come up pretty often on apps

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

If you get specific syntax questions and you don't know the answer, respond confidently with how you would go about finding the answer. Note how all functions can be found in documentation. Sometimes tech interviewers just want to know if the person they're hiring is resourceful.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Interview didn't go too bad, mostly asked about Object-oriented programming, the four pillars of OOP, types of databases, primitive structures, and other vocabulary from a computer science degree. Naturally, I didn't know some of it since I've spent most of my time learning syntax of different languages. I did send them a one-page write-up of the vocab words I didn't know as part of the thank you e-mail, so maybe they'll appreciate that. Will need to learn more fundamentals

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Nice work following up to learn everything you didn't already know. My experience was that entry level dev jobs asked a lot of the same knowledge-type questions (and to a lesser extent the same programming challenge-type questions too), so learning them once would significantly increase my odds of passing a future interview.