comandante

Say hello!!
comandante

comandante

Post by comandante »

This has been many years in the making: me writing here, instead of just reading.
I'm 34. Income robustness score = 1.25.
I redid the MBTI test some weeks ago, after having it done when I was 29. Introversion up, intuition down, thinking up, judging same. Still an INTJ.
The last book I read was 'One Hundred Years of Solitude', and I'm now reading Code Breaker on CRISPR.
I see myself starting a journal here, as a way to document what I'm seeing as an important stage of my life.

"Man is stupid, you know, phenomenally stupid; or rather he is not at all stupid, but he is so ungrateful that you could not find another like him in all creation. I, for instance, would not be in the least surprised if all of a sudden, A PROPOS of nothing, in the midst of general prosperity a gentleman with an ignoble, or rather with a reactionary and ironical, countenance were to arise and, putting his arms akimbo, say to us all: "I say, gentleman, hadn't we better kick over the whole show and scatter rationalism to the winds, simply to send these logarithms to the devil, and to enable us to live once more at our own sweet foolish will!"" - Notes from the underground

Western Red Cedar

Re: comandante

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Welcome aboard comandante!
"Lost in the solitude of his immense power, he began to lose direction. Colonel Aureliano Buendia could understand only that the secret of a good old age is nothing more than an honest pact with loneliness."
-Gabriel Garcia Marquez

barbarossafitness

Post by barbarossafitness »

Good to see another Dostoevsky appreciator here.

comandante

Post by comandante »

@WRC
"The failure of his death brought back his lost prestige in a few hours. The same people who invented the story that he had sold the war for a room with walls made of gold bricks defined the attempt at suicide as an act of honor and proclaimed him a martyr. Then, when he rejected the Order of Merit awarded him by the president of the republic, even his most bitter enemies filed through the room asking him to withdraw recognition of the armistice and to start a new war." - GCM

@BF
I'm still amazed at the power of Notes from the Underground and how much it got to me. I am however not a good Dostoevsky reader, after failing at the Idiot (stopped after one third read) and Crime and Punishment (read all and got the impression that I missed what was important). I envy you for having been able to appreciate Dostoevsky's great books.