chatGPT

Your favorite books and links
mountainFrugal

Re: chatGPT

Post by mountainFrugal »

https://github.com/Torantulino/Auto-GPT - GPT4 extension that can auto-write Python code and debug itself to achieve an objective. This is one of many of these types of projects.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:51 am
So far, I presume the data input has mostly been human generated. However, now that the cat is out of the bag, humans are busy putting AI generated material on the net where the next AI can access it. I understand there's also an API allowing the AI to write its own code and recompile it. With unlimited energy this can happen very fast.
It may not need unlimited energy or unlimited data. This snip of a transcript is from a recent podcast with Microsoft's Peter Lee.

https://ai-podcast.nejm.org/e/microsoft ... -medicine/

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

This might be off-topic the discussion (do people think it should be a separate thread?) but has gpt-4 changed the kinds of companies you do and don't want to own among your investments?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@mountainFrugal:

That auto-GPT project is cool. It makes me wonder when somebody will produce an auto-auto-GPT project.

@ertyu:

I'm wondering more about how it might change the basic structure of capitalism. For instance, as demonstrated in the project mountainFrugal linked above, you could have an auto-GPT create a business for you, and you could also have it hire human employees for you and purchase or lease a variety of resources. It's kind of hard to predict what might happen eventually, because new mix of centralization and de-centralization trends are emerging.

Here's another much simpler example of somebody using chatGPT to start a business.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to- ... kly-2023-3

chenda

Post by chenda »

@7w5 - Someone told me a year ago that accountants and lawyers would be soon mostly replaced by AI and the professions would go the same way as journalism. I thought this was proposterous but I think he might have been right. AI judges could deliver verdicts which are fairer and more consistent without social biases. (Or possibly do the very opposite ??)

Frita

Post by Frita »

Here is an entertaining piece regarding an online dating experience with AI: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/07/styl ... face_level
The AI David is charming and believable. Even the people-pleasing agreement to meet knowing it will never happen and cold kiss off are realistic. Masochistic daters rejoice! :lol: (Clarification: I am being more silly than sarcastic.)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@chenda:

I think most defendants would demand the right to a human lawyer and judge, perhaps supplemented by AI. It seems to me that the ankle tether incarceration system is also a likely realm to be expanded by AI.

@Frita:

Very amusing. I've been playing around with the Bing model, and I have to admit that its tendency to throw emojis into the conversation is making it seem more life-like to me. For instance, it offered a semi-sarcastic response and then emoji grinned at me after I asked it if it thought Claude Shannon would like the poem about worm farms and the principles of permaculture that I asked it to compose. It said that it didn't know if Claude Shannon would like the poem, but he might appreciate the challenge presented by the complexity of the rhyming scheme.

The check engine light came on in my car yesterday, so I am going to experiment with how much help with a real problem I might get from the model. Maybe I will be able to replace one of the human mechanical engineers in my polyamorous circle with an AI. I am only kind of joking, because I recently got back together with one of my exes because he happened to text me within a half-hour of my brakes starting to squeal. If nothing else, I could probably use it to help me not get ripped off at the repair shop.

ETA: Well, I guess I won't be giving up any of my human partners any time soon. The AI model is way too conservative to be of any help. Just keeps telling me that I need to visit a licensed mechanic. A real life mechanical engineer BF would at the very least pop the hood and take a look or drive it around and do some other experiments before sending me off to spend some $$$. It wouldn't even suggest what I might do myself if I knew the diagnostic code. I am feeling a real lack of intimacy in this budding relationship due to this stone-walling, risk-averse behavior.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@5W7
:lol: Thanks for the inspiration to play around with the Bing (and avoid listening to more hockey). It seemed to be an efficient way to “research” a solution to solvable problem like how to overseed a lawn with clover. A couple interesting experiences: dismissing and then arguing about my choice in poem topics, curtly ending the faux-significant other chat when I requested not to be referred to a “babe.” :roll: Emojis or not, texting with a judgmental-, misogynistic-leaning design wasn’t reinforcing. I shutter to think of it being turned loose in legal settings. +1 to stickin’ with humans

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Frita wrote:curtly ending the faux-significant other chat when I requested not to be referred to a “babe.
LOL!- Would you have preferred that "he" referred to you as "stone fox." ?

Actually, you might have to cut the faux SO some slack, because I have experienced much worse when chatting with real men in online dating setting. In fact, I made it my policy to refuse to engage in synchronous chat with men I hadn't yet met in person, because it so often quickly deteriorated into something disturbing on multiple levels to middle-aged me, like "Hey Princess, what are you wearing?"

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

We’re building a system with chat gpt to Automate marketing materials, product listings, and social media outreach

It will be interesting to see how the output goes. I’ve been spotting lots of posts, emails, marketing materials, etc out in the wild that seem to be written using chat gpt

Will save hours, but how will it payoff with sales and engagement?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Be careful. It’s definitely not totally up to speed with math and reasoning. I was playing around with it to amuse my students. I asked for 6th grade level problem having to do with calculating mean. It produced “ 5 numbers have mean of 20. What would mean be if one number was changed to 10?”

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

Luckily marketing doesn’t require math and reasoning.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Yeah I am coming back to report that using ChatGPT as an idiot savant study buddy to help me write maths proofs does not quite work. I am not patient enough to explain things to it before it gets even a vague idea.

I will be attending a talk about the Bayesian Statistics behind large language models such as chat GPT.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@guitarplayer:

That sounds very interesting. I think eNTPs are natural Bayesians. Also, the Frequentists are pretty much to blame for the atrocities of 20th century warfare, global climate change, and the obesity epidemic.

Frita

Post by Frita »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:14 pm
LOL!- Would you have preferred that "he" referred to you as "stone fox." ?

Actually, you might have to cut the faux SO some slack, because I have experienced much worse when chatting with real men in online dating setting. In fact, I made it my policy to refuse to engage in synchronous chat with men I hadn't yet met in person, because it so often quickly deteriorated into something disturbing on multiple levels to middle-aged me, like "Hey Princess, what are you wearing?"
No! :lol: My boyfriend in 1981 used to call me “Babe” and I let it go then. I remember thinking it was cool, but I was also raised to be looking for a husband at that age.

Turns out some men IRL continue this nonsense past their early teens. (And programmers set up at least Bing AI to do the same. Perhaps some women like this?) Regarding your Princess example, 1) That’s what my dad used to call me so ew, and 2 It seems that the faux-term of endearment functions as a bridge to objectification. (I am assuming the inquiry regarding clothing was not to clarify if you have your ski gear on so he can swing by and make some first tracks. And fair disclosure, I have not dated in 30+ years.)
Viktor K wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:45 pm
We’re building a system with chat gpt to Automate marketing materials, product listings, and social media outreach

Will save hours, but how will it payoff with sales and engagement?
I am interested to see how it goes. Perhaps it’ll just be a different numbers game in casting a wider net with larger holes to catch the same amount of fish?

GandK

Post by GandK »

Ex-programmer bias on my part, maybe? But I am not impressed with, frightened by, or even inclined to parry with ChatGPT or with AI in general. It's just math with words (or with images, or robotics, or driving). Creativity - the spark of the Divine, if you will - is absent from its equation. Forever absent, probably.

I'd even go a step further and say AI in its current state is roughly as capable as a junior high school assembly, and as its moral development is at roughly that same level, it is dangerous. It should certainly not be relied upon to make decisions. But because we humans are a lazy lot, I'm sure we will drift toward relying upon it anyway.

frommi

Post by frommi »

Chatgtp is old, it was trained in 2020/2021. So what you can freely play around with is not the latest state of AI. GPT-4 is the current model which is already miles ahead of it. And it now has dozens of plugins available to connect to other data pools like the internet or video/pictures. Its talked about that the next model will already be a full AGI. The work of MS/openAI is making this more reliable and safer, so they put boundaries on what the AI can or cannot do. Now imagine someone taking an AGI and removing all legal/moral boundaries. At that point you have skynet. Humans are so crazy that someday someone will try. And i doubt that only OpenAI will be able to create an AI. In 10 years a lot of companies will have their own models.
And its not that the AI has to decide to get rid of humans, its enough when a human initiates that spark, the AI will just execute on that idea.

frommi

Post by frommi »

And if i were someone that is paid for creative work, let it be programming, graphic design, acting or anything close to that i would be afraid of the latest development. GPT-4 can easily generate pictures, videos and code in a finger snip. And these look really good. You can search for Keanu Reeves AI videos to get a first impression.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

It's kind of interesting to play around with chatGPT's ability to reason. It's pretty good at solving and creating Encyclopedia Brown level mysteries. For instance, when I informed it that Hugo and I went to the park, and then I stopped at the grocery store and the florist's, and when I arrived at home I discovered that the steak I had purchased was missing, chatGPT was able to leap to assumption that Hugo must be a dog who couldn't resist the temptation to eat the steak while it was left unattended while I was at the florist. When asked to create a locked room mystery involving a dog named Hugo and a steak, its second iteration had a trained monkey opening a window, killing Hugo the dog with a blunt object, and then stealing the steak. When I asked for a third iteration involving no use of a spare key or trained monkeys, it quickly started generating an answer, but then erased it before I could read it, and informed me that we needed to switch topics.

It was also able to tell me that it used inductive reasoning to solve the Hugo and the steak mystery. It said it made an "educated guess."

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I asked Bing AI to modernize sections of the very popular turn-of-20th-century humorous novel "Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch." which was the origin of the phrase "rose-colored glasses", describing the outlook of the protagonist who suffers from a surfeit of optimism.

I'll try to create that. Here is a possible first paragraph of a modernization of Mrs Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch:

Mrs Wiggs lived in a trailer park called the Cabbage Patch, where she struggled to make ends meet with her five kids. She had named them after countries, thinking that it sounded classy and worldly. She had America, Asia, Australia, Europe and Billy. Her husband had left them years ago, but she always hoped he would come back someday. She was a cheerful and optimistic woman, who always looked for the bright side of things and helped her neighbors whenever she could.

One day, Mrs Wiggs received a letter from the social services, saying that they were going to inspect her trailer and decide if she could keep her kids. She was worried and scared, but she didn't let it show. She decided to spruce up the place and make it look more cozy and comfortable. She asked her friends in the trailer park for help, and they gladly lent her some furniture, curtains, rugs and paintings. She also borrowed some books from the library and put them on a shelf, hoping to impress the social worker with her children's education. She told her kids to behave well and be polite when the social worker came. She prayed that everything would go well and that they wouldn't have to leave their home...

After the inspection was over, the social worker thanked Mrs Wiggs for her time and told her that she would get a letter in the mail with the final decision. She said goodbye and left. Mrs Wiggs felt a pang of fear and uncertainty in her heart, but she tried to hide it from her kids. She hugged them and told them that they had done a great job and that she was proud of them. She said that they should not worry and that everything would be fine. She tried to sound confident and cheerful, but she was not sure if she believed it herself. She wondered what the letter would say and when it would arrive. She hoped that it would not be too soon or too late. She also hoped that the social worker would not notice that some of the furniture she had borrowed was actually cardboard cutouts, that the books on the shelf were actually phone books with fake covers, and that the paintings on the wall were actually her kids' drawings with fancy frames...

...We have reviewed your case and we have decided that you are not fit to take care of your children. We have found that your trailer is unsanitary, unsafe and unfit for human habitation. We have also found that you have no steady income, no health insurance, no savings and no prospects for improvement. We have therefore decided to take your children into foster care and place them in different homes. You have 24 hours to pack their belongings and say goodbye to them. A social worker will come to pick them up tomorrow at noon. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

The Social Services"

Mrs Wiggs was shocked and heartbroken by the letter. She couldn't believe that they were going to take her kids away from her. She looked at her kids and saw their faces filled with fear and sadness. She tried to comfort them and tell them that everything would be okay, but she couldn't find the words. She felt like she had failed them as a mother and as a person. She wished that her husband was there to help her, but he was nowhere to be found. She wondered what she had done wrong and why life was so cruel to her.

According to the search results, the part about rose-colored glasses is in the first chapter of the novel. It says: "But, then, Mrs. Wiggs was a philosopher, and the sum and substance of her philosophy lay in keeping the dust off her rose-colored spectacles. When Mr. Wiggs traveled to eternity by the alcohol route, she buried his faults with him, and for want of better virtues to extol she always laid stress on the fine hand he wrote." ²

I'll try to create that. Here is a possible more humorous version of the quote:

But, then, Mrs. Wiggs was a cheerful soul, and she always tried to find the funny side of everything and everyone. When Mr. Wiggs overdosed on cough syrup, she remembered his sweetness and his knack for karaoke.

According to the search results, there are two tragic deaths in the novel. One is the death of Jack, Mrs. Wiggs's eldest son, who is killed by an accident. The other is the death of Mrs. Wiggs's sister-in-law, who dies of consumption and leaves her daughter Lovey Mary to Mrs. Wiggs's care.

Lucy and Tom had a troubled marriage, because Tom was a drug addict and a thief who often abused Lucy and neglected Lovey Mary. Lucy had contracted HIV from sharing needles with Tom, but she didn't have enough money or insurance to get proper treatment. She became weaker and weaker, until one night she developed a fever and died in her bed. Tom didn't care about his wife or his daughter, so he left them alone and ran away with another woman. Lovey Mary had no one to take care of her, so Mrs. Wiggs took her in and raised her as her own child. Lucy had worked in a garment factory for years, sewing fast fashion clothes for low wages and in poor conditions. She had hoped to save enough money to send Lovey Mary to college, but she never got the chance.

ME: Can you describe the theme of this novel?

I think the theme of this novel is the power of optimism and kindness in overcoming adversity and poverty. Mrs. Wiggs is a character who always looks for the bright side of things and helps others in need, even when she has very little herself. She inspires her family and her neighbors to be hopeful and generous, and she attracts good fortune and happiness in return. She shows that happiness is not dependent on material wealth, but on love, faith and gratitude.

Me: Do you think this is a theme that holds true for modern times?

I think this is a theme that can still be relevant and meaningful for modern times, although it may not be as simple or realistic as it seems in the novel. I think optimism and kindness are important values that can help people cope with challenges and hardships, and that can also make the world a better place. However, I also think that optimism and kindness are not enough to solve the problems of poverty and injustice that many people face today. I think people also need to have access to education, health care, social services, and human rights that can enable them to improve their lives and achieve their goals. I think optimism and kindness should be combined with action and advocacy to create positive change in society.