A research paper about FI with an ERE mention

Questions and comments
guitarplayer

A research paper about FI with an ERE mention

Post by guitarplayer »

Found a paper called 'Entrepreneurship and the pursuit of Financial Independence' that has got an ERE mention. Have not read it, but perchance someone will find it useful.

ertyu

Re: A research paper about FI with an ERE mention

Post by ertyu »

Amazing, they talked to 11 people and established that either: 1. people who have a greater entrepreneurial bias are more likely to pursue FIRE, 2. the pursuit of FIRE motivates people to engage in side hustles (or "hybrid entrepreneurship" as they term it), or 3. FIRE is a goal secondary to entrepreneurship: the main goal is becoming an entrepreneur and the achievement of FIRE is seen as a way to reduce risk.

I've talked to more than 11 of you about FIRE issues in equal if not greater depth, where's my masters degree? :lol:

Did

Post by Did »

Yeah postgrad degrees are in the large horseshit for people who feared employment.

Bums on seats = cash.

In many cases a masters doesn’t even cover undergrad content (or assume it). Got a mate who got a ‘masters’ and he did a case study of a petrol/gas station and made some trite observations about increasing traffic. Bam he now has a masters of business.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

What's interesting is that academic interest in FIRE or environmentally motivated frugality for that matter i primarily driven by students at all levels from 7th grade to masters (I don't recall seeing a phd thesis yet) and not their teachers or professors for the most part. (I'm aware of two journal papers on FIRE.)

This suggests a generational effect. Meanwhile, many people will not take ideas seriously on their merits as much as whether they have ivory tower support. As such, the general awareness of FIRE et al will likely change in 10-20 years as these authors start a career. Eventual academic careers are often shaped by whatever people did for their dissertations. This might change the mainstream tune from "Look at those crazy Millennials spending less than they earn! What will they think of next?!"

FWIW, having participated in a couple of these school projects, there's often some procedural way of doing those interviews (in one case the professor tagged along to observe). I suspect that methodology is the primary lesson. Finding 11 people is about 4x as much effort as the average journalist undertakes.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

The softer the research methods the more the role of good faith. In other words, the softer the research methods, the easier it is to game and create bad research. This is because the method is not easy to communicate between subjects and the results are not easy to repeat. Would be great to climb up a step and get some hard method of disseminating how well qualitative research is carried out - let me know if you know one anybody. I might have known and then forgotten.

There is one professor in central Eastern Turkey that wrote about ERE in Turkish (that find made me feel sentimental about Turkey). Perhaps ERE would have an appeal in the Islamic world more so than FIRE since the former focuses on the low spending side of equation while the latter on the high earning (and investment returns, implicite). As far as I am aware Islamic banking and finance is peculiar about some forms of interest which messes up the standard FIRE equation but leaves ERE relatively intact.